PDA

View Full Version : 3rd at Running GAGG 2 with 3cAS

legacyplayer0
02-18-2007, 10:46 AM
I'd like to start by thanking everyone responsible for making this tournament possible.

Alright. Well, I'm friendly Phil Stolze and I am the only person to my knowledge who has ever played 3-color Angel Stompy at more than one tournament. I've been playing it for a couple years now, and have been successful with it thanks to my constant updates to the list. Enough background info, here's the list.

4 Duress
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Brainstorm
2 Serum Visions
1 Isamaru, Hound of Konda
4 Meddling Mage
4 Silver Knight
4 Knight of the Holy Nimbus
3 Umezawa's Jitte
2 Dark Confidant
4 Exalted Angel
2 Sword of Fire and Ice
2 Chrome Mox
2 Ancient Tomb
2 Plains
1 Flagstones of Trokair
4 Tundra
4 Scrubland
4 Flooded Strand
3 Windswept Heath

Sideboard
3 Pithing Needle
2 Armageddon
2 Okiba-Gang Shinobi
3 Tivadar's Crusade
3 Jotun Grunt
2 Perish

Round 1: Pox-Rsaunder's dad
Game one started out bad with me on the draw and him with a turn one dark ritual into Ensnaring Bridge. With no answers to the bridge, he was able to stabalize, find Crucible of Worlds, and kill all my creatures, which caused me to concede. A big mistake I made was not using Jitte to shrink my own creature so I could sneak under ensnaring bridge at one, but if he noticed the Cabal Pit in his graveyard, it wouldn't have mattered anyway. In game two, I killed him pretty fast, thanks to Jotun Grunt and some disruption. Game three was closer, but Jotun Grunt saved the day once again, and gave me the match.

Round 2: Vial Affinity-Ryan Litchard(Kirdape3)
I mull to five in game one and get crushed, win game 2 thanks to some pithing needles, and get crushed again in game three. Not being able to get Jitte counters against Ravager and Atog was really annoying.

Round 3: Rabid Wombat
Both games involved turn three duress something he has one of, mage something he has two of. I win 2-0

Round 4: Deadguy-Rsaunder

In game one, we both do stuff for a while until Jitte comes down and wins me the game. In game 2, he totally violates my manabase, and I have no chance. In game three, we both end up in topdeck mode, but I win because the top of my deck had Needle for Cursed Scroll and a Jitte.

Round 5: Iggypop

In game one, I get some ungodly conbination of Duress and Meddling Mage, and the game. In game 2, I get enough disruption to drag the game out for a very long time, and eventually I won. I woudn't have won if I wasn't bluffing FOW the whole time. It was an incredibly stressful match.

Round 6: Wierd Epic Survival-Matt Abold

We were both 4-1, but couldn't draw in, becuase we had the 2 worst tiebreakers of all the 4-1's. The match started out on a bad not, when the auction began, and the auctioneer was screaming about zombies and Mortal Combat the whole time. Then the judge started throwing packs at our table, which caused a large ammount of chaos, resulting in Matt's deck almost getting thrown off the table. Fortunately the part of the match involving Magic went very well for me, with Exalted Angel winning game one with Sword of Fire and Ice in her hand. Game two went even better when I Needled Survival which he had three of, and Perished four of his creatures.

After round six, I was in first place in the swiss, which cuased me to be paired against the deck no one tests against, Aluren.

Quarterfinals: Alix Hatfield-Aluren

Game one went pretty well. Duress and Meddling Mage were insanely good, and Umezawa's Jitte sealed the deal at the end. He put up a pretty good fight with some walls to stall for time, but my disruption ended up being enough. Game two was really close. I started out with some more distuption involving Mage on Aluren and Needle on Cavern Harpey. He then played a Pernicious Deed, but I had another Needle, and he only had one mana open. Later, he played an Intuition on my end step for Cavern Harpey, Man-O-War, and Raven Familiar. I gave him the Familiar. He then got rid of my Meddling Mage with Chain of Vapor, which is insanely good in his deck, and played an Aluren, but couldn't win. He had a Force of Will for the Mage he bounced, but not for the other one I had in my hand. The game went on for a while longer, with him Deeding the board, but with me having STP for his Cavern Harpey to prevent him from winning. My 2 Knight of the Holy Nimbus lived through Deed, which helped a lot later in the game. I got a Jitte, which was very much appreciated, and started to pull into the lead. I played some Exalted Angels, and eventually Alix couldn't deal with the beats. It was by far my best match of the day.

Semifinals: Enchantress

In game one, I keep him off Confinement Lock, but he has a Moat, which gives him plenty of time to go nuts. In game two, I use my disruption to keep him from playing anything broken before I can cast Armageddon. The game was looking very good for me, but he drew two lands and two Utopia Spraws off the top, which undid all my hard work, and won him the game. Even if he didn't draw so well after Armageddon, I still would have probably lost game three, so I don't mind so much.

I ended up in third place, so I took the Tropical Islands.

Props:
Nantukoshady(Greg) for driving me to Geneseo.
Zach Fine for getting out of the car to check the rate for a parking meter and saying, "It's a quarter."
The guy in the parking lot for telling us that parking on Main Street is free on Saturdays.
Everyone in charge for running an awsome tournament.
The chick at the sub shop for making great subs and giving us free Funions.
Greg for pissing in a cup behind a soda machine in the sub shop.
The soda machine the sub shop for having Vanilla Frapachino.
My opponents for being all-around cool people.
My Iggypop opponent for teaching me a lot about Iggypop.
Alix Hatfield for making top 8 with the coolest deck ever.
The guy at the food counter for going to work really drunk.
Duress and Meddling Mage for being irreplacable.
Greg for not farting in the car.
Zach Fine for actually coming to a Magic tournament.
Dave Gearhart for playing Think Twice in Solidarity.

Slops:
SUNY Geneseo for having absolutely nowhere to park.
The tournament organizers for throwing packs into the air instead of just handing them to people.
The auctioneer for being loud and abnoxious.
The guy at the food counter for taking five minuits to sell Kyle Dorgan a soda.
Cody Mannion for going but not playing.

NANTUKO_SHADY
02-18-2007, 11:02 AM
Congrats on the savage finish Phil. You actually got past the QUARTERFINALS!!

Cody Mannion for not going but not playing.

And yeah, hes a giant VAG.

Silverdragon
02-18-2007, 06:50 PM
Congrats for going third!
Your deck looks really interesting, sort of a Fish/Stompy Hybrid. I can imagine your opponents always being afraid of a Force :)
Oh and

Props:
Dave Gearhart for playing Think Twice in Solidarity.

Tell me this is a joke. Please!

Ta Jugs
02-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Congrats on the savage finish Phil. You actually got past the QUARTERFINALS!!

And yeah, hes a giant VAG.
Ok, Screw you guys.

Gekoratel
02-18-2007, 07:04 PM
I can imagine your opponents always being afraid of a Force :)

I actually disagree with this statement because if his opponent had been paying more attention he should have noticed how few blue cards were in Phil's deck. In order to properly support Force your deck wants 16-18 blue spells.

His opponent also sideboarded as if Phil was playing Thresh or a dedicated control deck. I was watching from his perspective and saw Xantid Swarm and Orim's Chant. The funny thing is those cards did literally nothing against Phil because he has no instant speed disruption. I understand that it is difficult to sideboard against rogue decks but the danger of over-sideboarding with combo is a more pressing matter IMO.

Congrats on your Top 4, are you guys planning on hitting up TML Open 2?

torgar
02-18-2007, 07:24 PM
Duress and Meddling Mage for being irreplacable.

As your RabidWombat opponent R3, I would wholeheardly agree with this statement. I'm glad to hear my two losses made T8. Congrats.

NANTUKO_SHADY
02-18-2007, 08:07 PM
I actually disagree with this statement because if his opponent had been paying more attention he should have noticed how few blue cards were in Phil's deck. In order to properly support Force your deck wants 16-18 blue spells.
2?

Lol, that's exactly what I told Phil too on the car ride home! Phil doesn't run close to enough cards to support FOW. It would just be terrible. And yes, we are all coming down for TML Open 2

Dr. Teeth
02-18-2007, 09:41 PM
Slops:
SUNY Geneseo for having absolutely nowhere to park.
The tournament organizers for throwing packs into the air instead of just handing them to people.
The auctioneer for being loud and abnoxious.
The guy at the food counter for taking five minuits to sell Kyle Dorgan a soda.
Cody Mannion for not going but not playing.

you mean going and not playing?
and wow that guy was wasted! he didn't even end up giving me the right one, heh.

Ta Jugs
02-18-2007, 10:02 PM
Haha me and Eric Darland ordered our food and he didn't even notice we didn't pay him free food haha. And by the way so what I didn't feel like losing any points in some stupid irrelevant legacy tournament that nobody cares about.

NANTUKO_SHADY
02-18-2007, 10:07 PM
And by the way so what I didn't feel like losing any points in some stupid irrelevant legacy tournament that nobody cares about.

Kyle's sister cares about it......

And that's good enough for me.

Dr. Teeth
02-18-2007, 10:11 PM
she only cares because i'm there :)

EDIT: Hi i'm Kyle

Ta Jugs
02-18-2007, 10:14 PM
Congrats for going third!
Your deck looks really interesting, sort of a Fish/Stompy Hybrid. I can imagine your opponents always being afraid of a Force :)
Oh and

Tell me this is a joke. Please!He is not kidding and by the way congratulations Phil forgot to mention it.

Getsickanddie
02-18-2007, 10:46 PM
stupid irrelevant legacy tournament

Is there any other kind?

Lego
02-19-2007, 12:51 AM
Well, I'm friendly Phil Stolze and I am the only person to my knowledge who has ever played 3-color Angel Stompy at more than one tournament.

Hey hey hey! I played it at two tournaments... or maybe just one. Maybe I just thought about it and then only played it once. Either way, grats on the win! I love the Knight of the Holy Nimbus :) Good stuffs! Tivadar's Crusade though? Do you fear Gobs that much?

legacyplayer0
02-19-2007, 11:21 AM
Hey hey hey! I played it at two tournaments... or maybe just one. Maybe I just thought about it and then only played it once. Either way, grats on the win! I love the Knight of the Holy Nimbus :) Good stuffs! Tivadar's Crusade though? Do you fear Gobs that much?

Yes, I do fear Gobs that much.

TeenieBopper
02-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Yes, I do fear Gobs that much.

As you rightly should. I've beaten AS with turn two, three, and four silver knights.

Grats on the finish.

lukatron2
02-19-2007, 08:15 PM
A little off topic but does anyone know the top 8 for the GAGG tourney? I've seen a lot of tourney reports but could someone start a thread for the top 8 (or top 16) cause I'm actually curious...

gustoh
02-19-2007, 08:33 PM
A little off topic but does anyone know the top 8 for the GAGG tourney? I've seen a lot of tourney reports but could someone start a thread for the top 8 (or top 16) cause I'm actually curious...

Just read the reports dummy...

LT...

Vardaman
02-19-2007, 10:13 PM

There's also a post about it in the Running GAGG tournament announcement thread. It's on one of the last two pages near the top (w/ default posts per page).

legacyplayer0
02-20-2007, 08:54 AM
Lol, that's exactly what I told Phil too on the car ride home! Phil doesn't run close to enough cards to support FOW. It would just be terrible. And yes, we are all coming down for TML Open 2

+2 Serum Visions +2 Daze/Serendib Efreet +4 Force wouldn't be so hard to do.

lukatron2
02-20-2007, 12:52 PM
Just read the reports dummy...

LT... not always makes a report...besides...thats too much looking/reading...I just wanna see what decks top 16ed

There's also a post about it in the Running GAGG tournament announcement thread. It's on one of the last two pages near the top (w/ default posts per page).

thanks...