PDA

View Full Version : Second Fiddle forever

Finn
02-19-2007, 01:48 PM
[Sigh]

...The conglomerate audience has to understand that design has chosen to take a duration approach, which we believe is healthier for the game in the long term...

Article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/mr267)

He clearly defines "conglomerate" as us. This alone is no big deal, or even news really. But why can't we be given a bone every now and then? Why on earth doesn't Wizards have some form of acknowledgement system for our longstanding concerns? We debate over the merits of unbanning X and banning Y. We muddle through another year of the bare minimum of support. How about a little feedback from this company that prides itself on it? I would be happy with Forsythe atleast making mention on where the company sees this format going. I have already written several members of R and D about this with no response.

BTW, the strangest part about his article is that we, "the conglomerate audience", don't really care about cards like Damnation and Concentrate. And we sure don't give a rat's ass about Psionic Blast coming back. It is, in fact, the T2 and Extended communities that have a lot to say.

Vardaman
02-19-2007, 02:12 PM
I think it's more like third fiddle. :)

Rastadon
02-19-2007, 02:18 PM
...and the majority of mtg players just got slapped in the face. I'm talking about the hordes of magic players who don't go to tournaments, don't know magic theory, and are content with buying a new booster every now and then for their mono colored decks. You ask them what deck they play and they say "Green". For every tournament player I know, I know 3 more mtg players that don't play compeditively and enjoy killing in grandiosity. MaRo's claim that "Duration design allows new players easier access to the game" is only true if you think that MTG isn't a game when it's not played for money or rank. I'm amazed that they don't even have a place in MaRo's Conglomerate and Duration definition.

Another thing that blew my mind when he said "duration design makes it easier to make the game change". Sure, a clean slate makes a designers life easier but that doesn't mean that Legacy and Vintage have to be ignored. And they've given cards to legacy and vintage without affecting Standard. Cards like Infernal Tutor, Trinisphere, Life from the Loam, crucible of worlds, etc.

Pinder
02-19-2007, 08:43 PM
And Legacy does change. It's just on us to do it. Wizards will give us cards every now and then, but as the majority of our cards stick around forever, it's on us to shift the format with innovation. I think the fact that we have such a gigantic sandbox to play in is one of the things that makes Legacy good. It's a wonderful breeding ground for creativity. Sure, not every deck someone comes up with will make it in a competetive tournament environment, but the broad range of options available to us is one of the best things about Legacy.

But then, I'm a total Johnny, so my views may be biased.

Cait_Sith
02-20-2007, 01:55 PM
If you wait forever for Wizards to make a card that just breaks Legacy, that seems stupid. Damnation opens up some design space, Extirpate has a possibility as a sideboard card. Legacy is changed slightly with every card printed. The trick is to not wait for them to print a card that warps the format, but to keep striving to push the edges out to take advantage of the format.