PDA

View Full Version : Running GAGG: 10th place

bigbear102
02-19-2007, 02:49 PM
So, I'm thinking Survival might just be a deck to be prepared for. It made top 4, and took 9th and 10th. My version is similar to Brushwagg's, but in a different color combination. Here's the list:
Mana:
3x Taiga
3x Savannah
3x Bayou
3x Windswept Heath
3x Wooded Foothills
3x Forest
1x Plains
1x Rofellos
4x BoP
4x Vial
3x Tinder Wall
2x Werebear

engine:
4x Survival
1x Squee
1x Anger
1x Genesis
3x Dark Confidant

disruption:
3x STP
3x Flametongue Kavu
1x Boneshredder
3x Cabal Therapy
1x Keldon Vandals
2x Eternal Witness
1x Glowrider

Beats
3x Loxodon Hierarch
1x Deranged Hermit

SB:
3x Engineered Plage
3x Krosan Grip
4x Mesmeric Fiend
3x Duress
2x Glowrider

Round 1:
Dave Price ~RGBSA

This was kind of a scare for me, as this is essentially a mirror, with Dave being a much more experienced survival player.

I don't remember the exact details, but Dave can probably fill these in, but I basically got Survival game 1 when he didn't.

Game 2 he mulls to 5, I keep a no survival 7 card hand, and beat him cuz his 5 didn't have it either.

1-0

Round 2:
Scott ~Duck Hunt

Game 1~ It takes a very long time, and he proceeds to win with Haunting Echoes.

Game 2~ We are short on time, and I am essentially playing to draw the match now. I make a mistake by not survivaling for anger when I had the chance, and pay for it at the end of the game by not having enough mana to get it and the other beater I needed. It was really close, but my vial in Vandals and STP your Factories plan didn't work when he gained 3 life, leaving him at 3.

1-1

Round 3:
Birdman ~...birds... could ya guess?

Game 1: He gets an early Soulcatcher's Aerie, has 5 birds in play due to Battlescreech. I swing in with 2 big guys, he chumps to pump his other birds up, but I swords 2 of them in response. I search for deranged hermit and smash face

Game 2: I use flametongue early and boneshredder late to kill birds and then again search for hermit to alpha strike him. Engineered Plague also helps the cause.

2-1

Round 4:
Goblins

Game 1: He doesn't go Lackey-win, so I go survival win. Basically he didn't have the god hand and my tinderwalls and little guys slowed him down enough to win the game.

Game 2: He drops lackey turn 1, swings and drops ringleader, my turn 2 I drop survival hoping he disenchants it. next turn he disenchants survival and puts matron in with lackey, finding SGC. My 3rd turn I drop E. Plague, leaving him with a 1/1 ringleader. I drop E. Plague #2 a few turns later and then win off of my guys being castable.

3-1

Round 5:
Diablis ~EATS
This blows because he's my teammate and we have to play it out. I lose game 1 horribly cuz he does dumb things with survival.

Game 2: We both board in Mesmeric Fiend, and I board in Krosan Grip. I get an early survival, he doesn't, I win the game off of early advantage, even though he gets survival midgame.

Game 3: I take E. Witness with an early fiend, turns out to be game-winning later on. I get Survival before him, eat his hand, and win a very long game, keeping the advantage over him the whole way.

4-1

Round 6:
Phil Stolze ~3 color AS
We decide we can't ID, so we play it out.
Game 1: He wins the roll and plays duress, whiffing, but seeing 2 FTK, he goes turn 2 MM on FTK. I have vial out, but he morphs angel With SoFI in play, and eventually she takes me out.

Game 2: I keep a one lander, dropping birds turn 1. He goes plains, Chrome Mox on BS, MM on Flametongue. I drop turn 2 Survival with no land drop. He drops turn 3 Needle naming survival. I lose soon after, while drawing 2 more survivals.

4-2

I think I did reasonably well for playing a deck that I had no actual tournament experience with. It's a very good build in my opinion, and has some good matchups that survival has traditionally not had. thanx for reading!

Zach Tartell
02-19-2007, 06:42 PM
Not as long as mine. You ever think about Rec-Sur? I could lend you the nightmares

Di
02-19-2007, 09:02 PM
Game 2: We both board in Mesmeric Fiend, and I board in Krosan Grip. I get an early survival, he doesn't, I win the game off of early advantage, even though he gets survival midgame.

Game 3: I take E. Witness with an early fiend, turns out to be game-winning later on. I get Survival before him, eat his hand, and win a very long game, keeping the advantage over him the whole way.

Just to point out a couple corrections, but I never had a Survival in game 2, and you didn't mention that I mulled to 5 in game 3. There was actually a point in game 3 where I thought I was going to win, but then realized you had another FTK in your deck.

But all in all good job, despite not making top8 and making me not top8.