PDA

View Full Version : Drought

No_Life_No_Future
02-20-2007, 05:04 AM
Drought
2WW (4), Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice Drought unless you pay {W}{W}.
As an additional cost to play spells with {B} in their mana costs and activated abilities with {B} in their activation costs, the spell or ability's controller sacrifices a Swamp for each {B} in that cost.

I a little bit confused by this card. Does it mean that you must sacrifice a swamp in order to play the spell?

For example: With a drougt on the table and me with nothing but a chrome mox (imprint black) could I tap the mox to play dark rit and since I dont have any swamps the dark ritual resolves.

basically, is drought gg for black?

Atwa
02-20-2007, 06:55 AM
As long as you can pay for the upkeep, Drought basicly means gg for black.

Unfortunatly, mono black decks are pretty scarce. Most black decks splash an other colour, mostly since black has a lot of weaknesses (like not being able to deal with enchantments). Pernicious Deed, Power Keg, Force of Will, Naturalize and lot's of other stuff is seen in decks featuring black. Add to that fact it costs 4 mana and you have a pretty unusable card in Legacy.

If your meta sees a lot of mono black decks though, you could use it.

on1y0ne
02-20-2007, 07:00 AM
Since the sacrificing of a swamp is an additional cost, you may not play a spell or ability with {B} in the cost unless you can fulfill all of the requirements of the cost.
Under the Drought, Dark Ritual reads:
{B} Instnt. As an additional cost to play Dark Ritual, sacrifice a swamp. Add {B}{B}{B} to your mana pool.
Just think of it like Shrapnel Blast, where you must sacrifice an Artifact in order to play it.