PDA

View Full Version : Isochron Scepter

Happy Gilmore
02-20-2007, 02:38 PM
My question is in regards to the interaction between Isochron Scepter (http://essentialmagic.com/Cards/default.asp?ID=35191) and Chalice of the Void. What is the converted mana cost of the spell copied from the scepter? And could we go over the general mechanics of scepter in general? I Know it triggers Standstill and such but how does it play the spell according to the rules?

Edit: the converted manacost of a spell is related to the amount played (Powersink for 4 has a converted mana cost of 5). But what is the cost of a Shinning Shoal removing a 2cc white spell, is it two or four?

Scepter reads that you can play it without paying its mana cost. Does that mean a copied spell has converted mana cost of zero? It would follow since twincasting of a hightide with chalice in play does not counter the copy.

Ewokslayer
02-20-2007, 02:55 PM
The Converted mana cost of Shining Shoal removing a 2cc White spell is 4.
X=2
Scepter creates a copy and then lets you play the copy. Copies have all of the same charateristics as the original including mana cost.
So the copy will have the converted manacost = original.
It will trigger chalice and be countered if applicable.
The reason Twincast gets around chalice is that the copy is not played it is put on the stack. It is also for this reason that Twincasting a storm card doesn't trigger storm, However playing Brainfreeze with Scepter will.

Scepter will get around Meddling Mage as well. Since you are playing a copy and not a card and Mage stops cards.

Happy Gilmore
02-20-2007, 02:57 PM
The Converted mana cost of Shining Shoal removing a 2cc White spell is 4.
X=2
Scepter creates a copy and then lets you play the copy. Copies have all of the same charateristics as the original including mana cost.
So the copy will have the converted manacost = original.
It will trigger chalice and be countered if applicable.
The reason Twincast gets around chalice is that the copy is not played it is put on the stack. It is also for this reason that Twincasting a storm card doesn't trigger storm, However playing Brainfreeze with Scepter will.

Scepter will get around Meddling Mage as well. Since you are playing a copy and not a card and Mage stops cards.

I see....thank. Damn, I was hoping I had some tech vs Chalice. Back to the drawing board I guess.