PDA

View Full Version : {Report} BEYAAH!!! 12th at Running GAGG

NANTUKO_SHADY
02-21-2007, 01:45 AM
Ok, so I took the liberty to drive Phil Stolze (LegacyPlayer0) and Zach Fine up to this tournament. We left way to early, but we spent about 45 minutes driving around SUNY Geneseo looking for a fucking parking spot. Finally, some nice man with a mustache informed us that on Saturdays you didn't have to pay for parking meters. So we park the car on Main Street and skip all the way down to the McVettie College Union building. I scouted around and saw some familiar faces from the source, so it was sweet.
(No notes= shady memory)

The Maindeck:

12x Island
3x Polluted Delta
3x Flooded Strand
2x Peek
4x High Tide
2x Opt
4x Brainstorm
4x Impulse
4x Reset
2x Brainfreeze
1x Twincast
4x Remand
2x Flash of Insight
3x Cunning Wish
3x Meditate
3x Turnabout
4x Force of Will

The Sideboard:

1x Stroke of Genius
3x Hydroblast
2x Brainfreeze
1x Chain of Vapor
1x Wipe Away
1x Echoing Truth
1x Rebuild
1x Turnabout
1x Meditate
3x Twincast

Round 1: Scott Scheur (Overlord95) playing Duck Hunt

Game 1: He applies some light factory beats, but his clock is still rather slow, and I wait until he only has one blue source untapped, and I proceed to go off low-tide until I find a High Tide. He attempts to Counterspell one of my spells, and I Remand it leaving him with just a Wasteland and a blue source. After I cast High Tide, my hand was strong enough to go off FTW.

Game 2: He calls over to Dan and says he's inserting the "tech." I was trying to think of what it could be, but I couldn't think of anything that I wouldn't already be expecting out of the board. Ok, I was wrong. He drops a turn two Dandan, which I Force, because I figured that that was his only clock. He drops a Flesh Reaver followed by Standstill a few turns later and proceeds to win the game with fast and early beats.

Game 3: He drops yet ANOTHER, early Dandan, and from what I can remember, he swings in for the distance. I believe I made an attempt to go off, but his hand had enough counter, and Dandan pressured me into going off before my hand was decent.

0-1

Round 2: Doug Mckay (Damping Engine) playing Blue Skies?

Game 1: He drops a turn 1 Flying Men, followed by a second turn Sea Sprite, and then he gets stuck on two lands for a turn or two. I Remand his first two attempts at resolving a Serendib Efreet and proceed to go off with ease a few turns later.

Game 2: He drops some early guys and proceeds to resolve a Chalice for 1. I take some beats and fail to find a Cunning Wish to deal with his Chalice and I go down in flames.

Game 3: He drops some early beaters, but he never dropped a Chalice of the Void or anything of the sort. I buy some time by Remanding his 3 drops, and I am able to go off without much trouble.

1-1

( I am informed that there is to be a food break after round 3, so I am pumped and ready to go)

Round 3: ?Guy? playing U/G/W Thresh (with maindeck Meddling Mage)

Right before we begin the round, some random chick that I crushed at a former tournament with Solidarity came running up and asked if I was the "High Tide" guy from Millenium Games and Hobbies. I say yes, and then say I am no longer playing High Tide. (My opponent is sitting right across from me, listening to this whole conversation) I shoo her away hoping my cover wasn't blown.

Game 1: I guess my 007 skills worked, because my opponent drops a Meddling Mage and I let it resolve. He thinks for a little, after checking through my graveyard (Brainstorm, Fetchland, Impulse) and he finally names Brainstorm with the Mage. I begin to jump with joy inside, and I proceed to combo off a few turns later while Meddling Mage sits there and picks his nose.

Game 2: He plays slightly smarter this game, after obviousely knowing that I am indeed still playing Solidarity. He resolves another Meddling Mage, and I think to myself I'm cooked, but for some reason he names Brainfreeze instead of High Tide. However, he had played a number of cantrips, and a turn later I'm staring down a threshed Werebear, Nimble Mongoose, and a Meddling Mage. I attempt to combo off, but his early beats and counter magic put me to rest.

Game 3: I enter game three feeling good, with the sweet aroma of food from the orient entering my nose from the bag beneath my chair. His start was kind of slow, and the game drags on for a bit while I shape up my hand for the kill. I believe it was turn 6? He had just dropped a Werebear? (no notes) and had four lands untapped. He proceeds to tap out and thinks for a second. My asian eyes open as much as they can at the sight of a Threshold player tapping out. He drops Armageddon from his hand and says, "I'm all in". I proceed to show him all in and I go off with triple High Tide and win without much in the way except for a random Force of Will, which got Twincasted to the face. After the match, he informed me that he normally doesn't play Thresh, but he left Solidarity on his desk at his house and had no deck to play. He showed me his mis-play after the game. At the time he tapped his last 4 lands for Armageddon, he also had a Werebear from turns prior on the board, and had he tapped Werebear towards the Geddon, he would have had an Island untapped and been able to cast 3x Stifle off of my High Tides. I'm almost positive I would have been able to blow past all three Stifles, and not to mention, I'm certain I would have played my High Tides differently if he had an untapped blue source.

2-1

Round 4: Outside Angel playing Teh Epic Storm

Game 1: Phil Stolze told me he was playing a random storm deck before our match started, but I didn't know exactly what he was playing, because I had seen alot of random Storm-based combo decks scattered throughout the field in earlier rounds. After the second turn, I catch on to what he's playing. He begins to play alot of spells and generates a storm count of about 7 on turn three. I am sitting on three lands with the potential win in my hand. He proceeds to ETW for 16 guys and passes the turn. I think for a few minutes, debating whether or not to try and hi-jack the storm count and throw it in his face, but I decide it's not worth the risk on three lands. I EOT Impulse and drop my fourth land. I pass the turn and let him swing in with his Goblins. I go to 2 life and combo out EOT. After recalling my Impulse the turn before, it was a good thing I waited a turn to go off, because I would have fizzled off of three lands.

Game 2: I take the chance and board in the 1x Echoing Truth. I always have good luck drawing my one of's, so I hope this will be no different. We draw our hands and my hand is pretty much retarded. He opens with land, Chrome Mox, Defense Grid. I Force the defense grid, leaving him with 3 cards in hand. I play land and pass. I guess his hand was nust as well. On his 2nd turn, he proceeds to generate a decent storm count and ETW's for about 6 or 8 goblins. He now has no cards in hand, and an army of hungry goblins on the board. He passes and I stare down at my shiny Echoing Truth in my hand. I take my turn and fetch, while I'm grabbing my island, he goes "Echoing Truth would be pretty sick now" I smile, grab my island and bounce all of his tokens to hell. He goes draw go for a few turns, trying to recover. During these idle turns of his, my draws are pretty shitty as well. I think he ended up playing a Xantid Swarm and casted another ETW for some guys. By now, my hand is pretty decent, and I go off before Xantid pokes me.
(I hope your hand heals soon)
3-1

Round 5: Bennet Toms playing G/B Goblins (Fuck you Cabal Therapy)

I know that if I win this match, I can probably draw into the top 8 based off of tiebreakers.

Game 1: He drops turn 1 Goblin Lackey and I have no answer. He dropped Warchief off of Lackey I believe, which was relieving that he didn't pull a Calosso. He drops Pile Driver the next turn, and I Force it, knowing it will buy me another two turns at least. He swings in and casts Cabal Therapy. My draws weren't that great, so he hits my High Tides. He flashes it back the next turn and uses my face as a doormat.

Game 2: I board in the Hydroblast/Echoing Truth set and get ready to go. His start isn't extremely fast, but a well timed Cabal Therapy sets me back, and when he flashed it back it was bad news bears. I am able to recover, and am set to go off at the end of his turn. He has two cards in hand at the time, and my hand was rather fragile. I knew if he had a REB or Pyrblast, it would be GG. I tap out for Turnabout and hold my breath. He reveals the topdecked blast and that's all she wrote.

3-2

I hang my head in shame, feeling really down after my last loss. I consider dropping, but I opt not to. I decide to finish this thing out and try to get a decent finish.

Round 6: ?guy? playing U/W Control

Game 1: He does what most control decks do, sit there with no clock. He starts to drop some Faerie Conlaves, and for some reason, he thinks its a wise idea to tap out every turn to send beats at me. I EOT Cunning Wish, and he Forces it pitching a Counterspell. In return for his kind gestures, I combo off in his face while he's tapped out.

Game 2: He boards in Meddling Mage and Arcane Laboratories. I see both of them game two. He has a Mage out on High Tide, and an Arcane lab out. He again, is tapping out for manland beats, so I see my window of oppurtunity to go in for the kill. I EOT Wipe Away his Arcane Lab. I then attempt to Chain of Vapor his Meddling Mage, and he gos for the counter. I twincast my bounce spell, and go off in his face again while he's tapped out. :)

Finish= 4-2 (12th Place)

Overall, it was a great tournament and I had a BLAST. (Including a red one which owned my face in the Goblin's matchup) :cool: I was re-united with the Unicorn family and all was well. I also pwned face in a side type 2 event while Phil was busy smashing face in the Top 8 and I got 25 bucks in cash by splitting for first with kai.

Props:
* The Tournament
* Team Unicorn, for being so gentle and loving
* Phil Fuckin Stolze for getting past the quarterfinals for the first time and taking down 3rd place.
* Zach Fine for showing up and misplaying
* Aunt Cookie's for having amazing subs
* The lady at Aunt Cookies for giving us free chips and being mad cool.
* The man in the mustache who solved our parking problems.
* Rap
* Booster packs falling from the sky, which resulted in an Aether Vial for me!
* Dave Gearhart's new twist on Solidarity. Red!?!? How awesome!
* Coffee
* Outside Angel for playing magic with a broken hand and not even realizing it.

Slops
* Cabal Therapy
* Flashed back Cabal Therapys
* Goblins, for being so retarded
* The auctioneer. I wasn't even in Top 8 and I still wanted to kick his ass.
* Me, for losing to Dandan game 2
* Me, for losing to Dandan game 3
* Shitty weather on the ride back
* Cody Mannion for being a hairy VAG and not playing
* Kyle Dorgan for playing Boros over Tog
* Calosso?? ( He didn't do anything to me, but everyone else seems to hate him)

Like I mentioned at the beginning of this report, I had no notes, so sorry in advance if I was one land off or something in any of these matches. I did the best I could to recall what mattered.

See you all in CT. :smile:

Ta Jugs
02-21-2007, 02:01 AM
Call me a vagina all you want I am still better than you.

legacyplayer0
02-21-2007, 09:10 AM
Nice report. You make it look like you actually took notes.

Firebrothers
02-21-2007, 01:43 PM
Dave Gearharts illegitimate son.

Dave Gearhart's new twist on Solidarity. Red!?!? How awesome!
As Gearhart's illegitimate son I am suprised he din't inform you of the updated list so you could partake in the awesomness.

NANTUKO_SHADY
02-21-2007, 02:02 PM
Well, seeming as how he doesn't give me any child support, what makes you think he would share his new deck ideas with me? I only get to see him once every few months, because the judge forces him to spend a day at the park with me and feed me ice cream. Not to mention, that's about the time span between major legacy tournaments anyways. :cool:

nitewolf9
02-21-2007, 02:54 PM
I got to use the new tech because I'm so freaking cool :tongue:.

Too bad none of the solidarity players top 8'd this time, but them's the breaks. Good to see you again Shady, and make sure you play more think twice. I actually liked playing the deck alot that weekend (first time playing the deck in a major tourney, I can tell why you guys like it).

lucksack
03-02-2007, 10:41 AM
I love cabal theropy. I love when it hits hightides. I love when you cant remand gobs just becouse I have one in the bin. mostly I love that it stomped some teath right on in. And yes I just read the part about me.

ps finaly invading the forems... I dont know what I'm doing but I know I'll just get luckie and say something smart.

oh and my report is on its way... slowly... I have things to do

like play wow