PDA

View Full Version : about promo cards and foil

Radley
02-23-2007, 04:31 AM
Hello. I just want to know if promo cards like the FNM and DCI foil cards or just the ordinary foils can be used in DCI sanctioned tournament.

Atwa
02-23-2007, 05:00 AM
Yes, they can. Just play the cards in formats where the set the card was printed in is legal.

A judge promo Balance is legal, but only in vintage. Same goes for Oath of Druids.

Textless Lightning Helix is allowed in all formats. Only promo foil Crystaline Sliver isn't legal, since it was never officially released as a promo.

Radley
02-23-2007, 05:25 AM
I forgot to include unhinge and unlgued lands. Are they also legal to use? Do I need an original copy of a textless card for me to play it?

Nightmare
02-23-2007, 08:47 AM
Unglued and Unhinged lands are legal in all formats. You do not need anything more than the textless card to play it.

Lego
02-24-2007, 03:52 PM
Unglued and Unhinged lands are legal in all formats. You do not need anything more than the textless card to play it.

That said, if someone plays a textless card and you do not know what it is, ask a judge and they'll give you the full rules text of the card. Same goes for foreign cards (which are also legal.)

Anusien
02-24-2007, 09:02 PM
Only promo foil Crystaline Sliver isn't legal, since it was never officially released as a promo.
Eh? Are you sure? I've never heard of such a thing, and as far as I know, it would have been printed by WotC and has the same English name as a card that is legal in that format...

Jak
02-24-2007, 09:32 PM
It is true because they got out before the official release. Stolen or something.

DeathwingZERO
03-01-2007, 04:32 AM
Foil or no foil as long as it HAD an official release and was still printed by WotC, it's legal. I saw a couple times where people I knew that were avid foil collectors got ahold of them and played them at tournaments, regardless of them being "leaked" before officially released. It was an official printing, and was previously a real card. Unless Wizards has specifically written against it recently, I've yet to see anybody get in trouble for having it in a deck.

cdr
03-01-2007, 10:15 AM
Foil Crystalline Sliver would be legal - it's a legal version of a legal card. How it was obtained is irrelevant as far as legality.

A number of test print/misprint cards exist that were never intended to be distributed to the public such as foil textless Lightning Bolt, but they are perfectly legal for play.

mikekelley
03-01-2007, 10:22 AM
Summer revised is legal to play, granted you'd be crazy, but alas, that is legal too.

Pinder
03-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Foil Crystalline Sliver would be legal - it's a legal version of a legal card. How it was obtained is irrelevant as far as legality.

You sure about this? Because I could really use some FNM Crystalline Slivers.

parallax
03-01-2007, 12:33 PM
Well, if the card was illegally obtained, I'm pretty sure they'd just confiscate it.

Pinder
03-01-2007, 01:06 PM
That would be bad.

cdr
03-01-2007, 05:24 PM
You sure about this? Because I could really use some FNM Crystalline Slivers.

Go for it. As long as you can A) Find them B) Have $400+ to drop on the set.

Well, if the card was illegally obtained, I'm pretty sure they'd just confiscate it.

Ridiculous. Who exactly would confiscate it?

parallax
03-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Ridiculous. Who exactly would confiscate it?
If it's believed to be stolen property, any Wizards employee or anyone working for any organization affiliated with Wizards, such as the DCI.

on1y0ne
03-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Technically, Foil Crystaline Sliver was never released. With the coalation errors in Saga block, the foils that were found in those packs became legal because they were released to the public, albeit not intentionally. There is a difference between an unintentional release and Stolen property making its way into the marketplace.

As a judge, we are only to confiscate suspected counterfeit cards. I am not aware of us having the right to take Foil Crystaline Slivers. I have been at larger events (GP's and such) where a dealer has had Foil Crystaline Slivers for sale. The logic that there is an attempt to recover them is a bit flawed with these events being true.

Anyway, if you have them, don't play them and you won't have to worry about anything. If you don't have them, save your money.

Just my two cents....

cdr
03-02-2007, 06:54 PM
If it's believed to be stolen property, any Wizards employee or anyone working for any organization affiliated with Wizards, such as the DCI.

Not sure where you got that idea from. No judge is going to confiscate anything, period.

About the only thing a judge might confiscate is a counterfeit card, and even then it's questionable whether they can/will do that.

Raider Bob
03-02-2007, 08:19 PM
Promo cards are worthless, if you have any mail them to me I will dispose of them for you...;)