PDA

View Full Version : Finally Fed up with Altered States

Nightmare
02-23-2007, 03:34 PM
Those of you who aren't from Syracuse probably won't care much about this, but we need to let people know, so here it is anyway. If you'd like to follow our progress, read on.

For a while now, as many people may or may not know, Syracuse, NY has had only a single store in which to play Magic. The store (formerly known as Altered States) was located next to Spaghetti Warehouse in a low-travel neighborhood, where business was ok, but not great. For reasons of improved business, the owner decided to move the store to a better location, next to a P&C Grocery store in a better part of town. His hope was to increase traffic in the store, and along with it, business. At this time, the name of the store was changed twice, settling (I believe) on Play the Game, Read the Story. Unfortunately for the owner, the building he moved into was not up to code, and the store was forced to suspend events for a time.

This was the beginning of the unrest for players. When the store re-opened for tournaments, the price had gone up for events. This wasn't a large increase, and no one really cared too much. Along with this,prize structure had moved from product to store credit. Credit which cannot be used on high-end singles, which are rediculously overpriced and have been forever, with no hope in sight of coming down to reasonable levels. The free wednesday extended tournaments became $5 events with credit prizes. FNM went from free to $5, and no prize other than the FNM card was given out. Sealed deck entry was at $20.

Recently, the store moved again, this time to a high-traffic area in the mall. The event space is miniscule, and shared between Magic, YugiOh, and Warhammer players. Any use must be scheduled at least 24hours in advance. Oh, and the price for Sealed went to $21.

As a team, The EPIC Syndicate watched the player base fall apart. It went from a thriving metagame to nothing in a matter of weeks. This is unacceptable. We got more people to turn up to my house for testing than we do for weekly Legacy events. Then another store, ComixZone, came to their senses.

ComixZone is now offering a solution. They are located near the same P&C Altered used to be located. They are allowing our team to run events for the store, at reasonable fees and product prizes. We have free reign to run the events as we see fit (most of us have TO experience), and are beginning with Sealed next weekend. For those of you not attending the Mana Leak Open in Conn., a Sealed event will be held at 11:30 am Saturday, March 3rd at ComixZone, for $18 (covers the cost of product). Please come out to help support a store that wants to help out the Syracuse player base.

Legacy events will be coming soon, but 1 step at a time.

Firebrothers
02-23-2007, 03:55 PM
So it sounds like everything worked out well for you all. We had a similar situation in Austin, Tx because the players werent being treated kindly at one store, another store the prize support sucked, so some players got fed up and are about to open there own store with a motto 'by the players for the players'.

I hope you have much sucess for future tournements.

Brushwagg
02-23-2007, 03:58 PM
Personally I've been getting the feeling, that they could give a rats ass about hold tournaments or not. Aside from the pre-realeases they make jack and that's what it's all about. The Money.

Di
02-23-2007, 04:02 PM
Personally I've been getting the feeling, that they could give a rats ass about hold tournaments or not. Aside from the pre-realeases they make jack and that's what it's all about. The Money.

And by holding tournaments, their regular customer base should in theory grow. So they will be making money out of it. Unless you were talking about Altered. If so, fuck Altered.

Seriously, anyone in the Syracuse area needs to leave Altered for good and play at Comixzone. It's a better store with tournaments that won't result in first place getting a store credit check for a whopping $15. Please help us out in this regard.

Unfortunately, nearly the entire Syracuse Legacy base is EPIC Syndicate, so it'll be tough finding people outside our regular group.

Brushwagg
02-23-2007, 04:34 PM
And by holding tournaments, their regular customer base should in theory grow. So they will be making money out of it. Unless you were talking about Altered. If so, fuck Altered.

Yes I was talking about Altered.

But if the Comixzone holds their Legacy on Tuesdays, I'll be out. I usally don't get out of work before 6 or later on Tuesdays.

Peter_Rotten
02-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Waahh. Be happy to have a store. Albany has nada.

Nightmare
02-23-2007, 06:34 PM
Waahh. Be happy to have a store. Albany has nada.It's this attitude that allowed Altered to become so complacent and take advantage of the players. Frankly, until this point we had nothing better. Now we've forced our way into something better.

Whit3 Ghost
02-23-2007, 07:08 PM
Would this open up the possibility for you guys hosting larger events as well in the future (summer-ish)

Nightmare
02-23-2007, 07:10 PM
Would this open up the possibility for you guys hosting larger events as well in the future (summer-ish)Absolutely.

Di
02-23-2007, 07:14 PM
Absolutely.

What about space though? Comixzone isn't the biggest store in the world, so it would require the renting of some space. Also, I really don't know the store so well, so I'm not even sure what kind of prize support they could offer.

However, I think it's in our best interest to get them to do large events. Having them in Syracuse would also be hawt.

Whit3 Ghost
02-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Sweet, I'd definately look forward to anything you have planned.

Nightmare
02-23-2007, 07:21 PM
What about space though? Comixzone isn't the biggest store in the world, so it would require the renting of some space. Also, I really don't know the store so well, so I'm not even sure what kind of prize support they could offer.

However, I think it's in our best interest to get them to do large events. Having them in Syracuse would also be hawt.

I'm pretty sure we could convince them to move some shit around for a day. And we could probably get prize support the same way anyone else does it - have Kadilak buy it.

TheAardvark
02-23-2007, 08:06 PM
We went through a similar situation here about 2 years ago. The only store charged retail for everything, had high priced singles, and incredibly shitty prize support for the weekly tournaments they held. We finally got tired of it, and we did the only thing we could: we started having our own tournaments.

All we do is use a common room/cafeteria area in the Student Center of the university (Southern Illinois University for the 0 of you who care) every Sunday. $5 entry fee, 100% prize payout, and voila, our player base has basically doubled in that time frame. Of course, part of that is because it's a college town with new people coming in all the time, but people also leave, so it's a pretty big accomplishment, especially in the middle of fucking nowhere where the nearest "urban center" is 2 hours away (St. Louis).

Luckily, you guys had another store willing to accomodate you, which is good. As far as Mr. Rotten, if you think/know there is a player base in Albany, is there any way you could get word-of-mouth advertising going and start your own tourneys at a common/well-known locale? Setting up as a TO is easy, and even easier if you have a significant other or someone else willing to do it; that way, you can play too.

Just a thought.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
02-23-2007, 08:37 PM
Wait, no more Spaghetti Warehouse?

Di
02-23-2007, 09:18 PM
Wait, no more Spaghetti Warehouse?

We've missed the Spaghetti Warehouse for almost a year now, I think. It saddens me.

02-23-2007, 09:45 PM
Congrats on finding a place to play, the same thing happened to the store I play at in MD. Someone went into the back room at a 9:00 PM release event (i say 9 PM because they had 1 person working in the store) and took $200+ worth of merchandise. That and the combination of the TO getting married put a halt to tourneys for 3 or 4 months. The tourneys came back up with a smaller percentage payout in store credit (repaying loss) and now the replacement TO leaves to go to school. Lucky me talked to the owner and is now in charge of scheduling all the events, so theres gonna be plenty of Legacy at the Dugout Zone for all the MD players.

Shriekmaw
02-23-2007, 10:47 PM
I am totally with all of the magic players in Syracuse that love to play magic, but not a decent place to play. I would go to the Comix Zone if they hosted a variety of different magic formats. I do understand that it does take time to set up weekly events, but I'm at a point where I would give another place a try. I think Mr. Nightmare said it best when he stated that everyone in Syracuse is fed up with Altered States (aka How to Play the Game), whatever they want to be called these days.
I will constantly check up on their website for any updates on future events. I think most of the players in the Syracuse area would really appreciate it if we could have regular updates on this form to help spread the word until things begin running smoothly at a different store.

Everyone that has played magic with me knows how much I love to play this game and would appreciate if we could find a place that also appreciates the players that play this game. I'm very happy to see a new place to play. I'll see all the local players at tournaments soon. Good Luck and help support a place that cares about the players.

Di
02-23-2007, 10:59 PM
Nick - Thanks for the support. We need all the help we can get. Make sure you can inform as many people as possible.

Also to answer your formats question, I'm pretty sure Comixzone is working to get tournaments to every format barring Type 1. I can't remember the days off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure there will be Legacy, Sealed, Limited, and rotating Standard/Extended schedules.

edgewalker
02-24-2007, 12:51 AM
If I can throw a deck together, I might start actually playing again. Of course by playing I mean throwing money away to the store and to "the cause"

Oathmaster
02-24-2007, 10:06 AM
Hello,

I am glad to hear that there is another option besides Altered States. I have pretty much stopped coming to Syracuse for the reason of playing magic.

When the legacy events start going please let me know the time. I can bring probably 2 or 3 people from Watertown. If the tournament is on Saturday or Sunday I can generally bring this many people with me maybe more. Also I will try and come down to support other events as well, like booster draft and type II.

If someone could please put the address of comix zone so I can mapquest it, that would be great.

Also, if there is a free day to fill in for a magic event, having a team legacy event once a month would be greatly appreciated. I have to say for tournaments that has also been my favorite format. Limited Resources for the win.

Thanks Justin

SpatulaOfTheAges
02-24-2007, 11:19 AM
But now how am I supposed to throw away 12 bucks on Urza's Incubators?

Lego
02-24-2007, 03:10 PM
But now how am I supposed to throw away 12 bucks on Urza's Incubators?

Dang, they're only $12? If I paypal you some money, could you send those to me?

Black and Blue
02-25-2007, 01:22 AM
Any weekday event that isn't Standard or Draft (it's getting boring) will be good for me. I look forward to more info when it comes.

Brushwagg
02-25-2007, 12:33 PM
Hello,

I am glad to hear that there is another option besides Altered States. I have pretty much stopped coming to Syracuse for the reason of playing magic.

When the legacy events start going please let me know the time. I can bring probably 2 or 3 people from Watertown. If the tournament is on Saturday or Sunday I can generally bring this many people with me maybe more. Also I will try and come down to support other events as well, like booster draft and type II.

If someone could please put the address of comix zone so I can mapquest it, that would be great.

Also, if there is a free day to fill in for a magic event, having a team legacy event once a month would be greatly appreciated. I have to say for tournaments that has also been my favorite format. Limited Resources for the win.

Thanks Justin

The Comixzone is right down the street from the P&C location. They are in a strip mall with Staples or an Office max. Right past Sweet Heart corners.

Oathmaster
03-04-2007, 02:30 PM
Hello,

So how did the sealed deck turn out? How many people showed?

What tournaments are on the schedule for this Saturday?

Thanks

Mulletus
03-04-2007, 03:04 PM
I think 12 people came the event. Top 4 split 20 packs, I should have played it out. I never lost a game.... and one of the packs had a foil damnation and a regular one. But I had other stuff to do and the top 4 wasn't even getting paired untill 4:30ish. Oh well, it was good prizes and better prices. Now all they need are singles, and constructed events. Oh and sanctioning events couldnt hurt either.

Nightmare
03-04-2007, 04:00 PM
I think 12 people came the event. Top 4 split 20 packs, I should have played it out. I never lost a game.... and one of the packs had a foil damnation and a regular one. But I had other stuff to do and the top 4 wasn't even getting paired untill 4:30ish. Oh well, it was good prizes and better prices. Now all they need are singles, and constructed events. Oh and sanctioning events couldnt hurt either.This week won't be sanctioned, but the next one and those following will be. We're working details out as soon as we can.

mikekelley
03-04-2007, 06:35 PM
Douchey owners and store policies are shitty. There was a place around here (DCI Sanctioned, somehow) that the only prizes were to backdraft the rares. Same place also had pretty lousy draft rules, ie feel free to look at what you've drafted mid-draft and don't wait for everyone to finish a pack, which leads to someone always having 6 packs to look through at once. I've also been to a store where you pay 15 dollars for 2 packs + draft entry. Laughable.

Michael Keller
03-11-2007, 01:08 AM
ComixZone is now offering a solution. They are located near the same P&C Altered used to be located. They are allowing our team to run events for the store, at reasonable fees and product prizes. We have free reign to run the events as we see fit (most of us have TO experience), and are beginning with Sealed next weekend. For those of you not attending the Mana Leak Open in Conn., a Sealed event will be held at 11:30 am Saturday, March 3rd at ComixZone, for $18 (covers the cost of product). Please come out to help support a store that wants to help out the Syracuse player base.

Legacy events will be coming soon, but 1 step at a time.

I used to work there for a long time...and know Greg *owner* very well. I think maybe I can make something happen if anyone is still interested.

FYI (or anyone who cares): I am a single example of the meaning behind this entire thread.