PDA

View Full Version : A Question.

Pinder
02-24-2007, 08:34 PM
So, lets say that hypothetically I have a Phyrexian Altar and a Floating-Dream Zubera in play. If I sac the Zubera to the Altar, do I get my card before I choose what color of mana, or the other way around? I ask because for normal abilities (like Altar of Dementia for example) , since the sacrifice is part of the cost, the card draw ability would go on top of the activated ability because it would trigger during the declaration of that ability, and get put on the stack right after (if I'm wrong about this, just let me know).

Only problem here being, mana abilities don't use the stack. So what happens first?

Also, since choices (targets, mode, etc.) are made before costs are paid when declaring spells or abilities, does that mean that you have to choose the mana before you end up saccing the Zubera in the first place, rendering my first question completely useless?

Anusien
02-24-2007, 09:00 PM
Phyrexian Altar {3} |Artifact| Sacrifice a creature: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.

Floating-Dream Zubera {1U} |Creature -- Zubera Spirit| 1/2. When Floating-Dream Zubera is put into a graveyard from play, draw a card for each Zubera put into a graveyard from play this turn.

When you sacrifice Floating-Dream Zubera to Phyrexian Altar, you just get the mana. It's a mana ability and doesn't use the stack. Nothing happens in the intervening period. You could even do it while resolving a spell (like Chromatic Star). You play the ability, choose the color, get the mana, and then Floating-Dream Zubera's triggered ability goes on the stack.

Pinder
02-24-2007, 09:19 PM
I figured. Thanks.