PDA

View Full Version : [Article] Unlocking Legacy — A Metagame Update

AnwarA101
03-01-2007, 10:17 AM
This is the latest article by Christopher Coppola about the Legacy Metagame. I personally enjoyed the article but I might biased. I do agree that there is more combo in the format now than there has been before (I personally played against 3 combo decks at the GAGG tournament).

The article (http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/13782.html)

Silverdragon
03-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Great article. The only complaint I have is that he didn't talk more about Ancient Tomb based Stompy lists (he could have mentioned Fairie Stompy).
Nonetheless very informative and well written.

xsockmonkeyx
03-01-2007, 03:08 PM
Keep em coming. This series is awesome, guys.

Hoojo
03-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Yeah, Faerie Stompy is the only omission I noticed. Very well done article. Getting recognition out to decks other than the Big Three will make the GP more interesting.

Whit3 Ghost
03-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Survival/Enchantress could've deserved a mention.

Glad to see 3cAS and TES grace SCG.

Bardo
03-01-2007, 06:22 PM
Yeah, Faerie Stompy is the only omission I noticed. Very well done article. Getting recognition out to decks other than the Big Three will make the GP more interesting.

Since there are four writers on this column, we have to be careful not to step on each other's toes. For instance, I covered Faerie Stompy, HanniFish and B/W Confidant two articles ago (http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/13511.html) and IGGy Pop, BHWC Landstill and (mono-White) Angel Stompy in my last (http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/13710.html)article.

We need to get the new decks out in the (more) visible public domain, but we can't be parroting each other too.

Zach Tartell
03-01-2007, 06:35 PM
We need to get the new decks out in the (more) visible public domain, but we can't be parroting each other too.

Enchantress isn't a new deck? I may be biased, on account of I played it, but, come on, dude. TES didn't top eight at geneseo.

Ok, I really just want to see my name posted again. But my point still stands.

Bryant Cook
03-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Nice article, that combo deck seems awful though.

Lego
03-01-2007, 06:44 PM
Enchantress isn't a new deck? I may be biased, on account of I played it, but, come on, dude. TES didn't top eight at geneseo.

Ok, I really just want to see my name posted again. But my point still stands.

Um, no, Enchantress isn't a new deck..... you were joking, right? Enchantress has been around since pre-split T1.5, before it was Legacy... The list has pretty much remained the same for a year or two. It just hasn't really been a great meta choice since Thresh and Solidarity became popular.

Whit3 Ghost
03-01-2007, 08:46 PM
Um, no, Enchantress isn't a new deck..... you were joking, right? Enchantress has been around since pre-split T1.5, before it was Legacy... The list has pretty much remained the same for a year or two. It just hasn't really been a great meta choice since Thresh and Solidarity became popular.
He's kidding, he's the one that played it to that top8 at geneseo.

The point was that TES didn't top8 at the GAGG, while Enchantress made top2 with no mention.

hi-val
03-01-2007, 09:11 PM
OMG WHY DIDN'T HE MENTION [deck]!!!

Great article! these things don't have to be comprehensive; they just have to be informative!

sammiel
03-01-2007, 10:01 PM
wtf, why didn't you mention vial-stuffy doll combo?

Firebrothers
03-02-2007, 12:33 AM
Great idea to show the public other decks besides goblins, threshold and that damn blue one.

Fear the Red Death.

Hoojo
03-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Since there are four writers on this column, we have to be careful not to step on each other's toes. For instance, I covered Faerie Stompy, HanniFish and B/W Confidant two articles ago (http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/13511.html) and IGGy Pop, BHWC Landstill and (mono-White) Angel Stompy in my last (http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/13710.html)article.

Makes sense. I didn't think of the "four writers" issue and not wanting to write over each others topics. I guess I was just looking for a different writers opinions on that deck *shrug.* Great series though, you guys do great work.

Cait_Sith
03-02-2007, 10:11 AM
I didn't see Red Death getting named as Red Death, but it did get some props. I like this article, it has a nice selection of decks and pretty good analysis.

Also that combo deck... "The Epic Storm" Seems janky. You might as well play Fluctuator.

Eldariel
03-02-2007, 10:27 AM

I figure the best course of action would be to mention the decks and refer to the other article. That way, when looking for a metagame coverage, it is rather comprehensive without having to repeat what's said on other decks already.

That said, this is an awesome way for the format to gain more publicity. Heck, that's how Vintage really got going, along with the SCG-events.

Bardo
03-02-2007, 12:22 PM
I figure the best course of action would be to mention the decks and refer to the other article. That way, when looking for a metagame coverage, it is rather comprehensive without having to repeat what's said on other decks already.

Personally, I think this is a great idea--not to parrot, but to be self-referential within the series. That would unify the column quite a bit--building on the strong ideas in past articles.

That said, this is an awesome way for the format to gain more publicity. Heck, that's how Vintage really got going, along with the SCG-events.

Yep. I'm not speaking for anyone else but me, but this is why I'm writing my articles. I can definitely find other things to do with my time than write articles on an unpopular MtG format, of all things, but I'd really like to see the format take off and become popular. Publishing this kind of content on the most popular non-official MtG website, along with the work of tournament organizers and useful discussion boards is the way to get there. We certainly can't rely on WotC to do it for us.

Machinus
03-02-2007, 12:54 PM
I didn't see Red Death getting named as Red Death

Pet names are stupid.

Also, if you read the article, you would see that I called it "Red Death" anyway.

Bryant Cook
03-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Chris thanks for giving me the confidence to win. :-p.

Cait_Sith
03-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Pet names are stupid.

Also, if you read the article, you would see that I called it "Red Death" anyway.

I disagree. But that would be another thread. And yea, I missed that.

Pinder
03-06-2007, 01:23 AM
(he could have mentioned Fairie Stompy).

Yeah, Faerie Stompy is the only omission I noticed

The only omission?

Survival/Enchantress could've deserved a mention.

It's been done.

Since there are four writers on this column, we have to be careful not to step on each other's toes. For instance, I covered Faerie Stompy, HanniFish and B/W Confidant two articles ago and IGGy Pop, BHWC Landstill and (mono-White) Angel Stompy in my last article.

You know, there is that one deck I made (http://mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4404), which has the distinct quality of having never been written about.

Just sayin'.

edit: Before people start flaming, I realize that it has yet to put up any great tournament results. This is because all the good legacy tourneys are on the east coast, and it was invented on the west coast. So pick the damn thing up why don't ya?

Machinus
03-06-2007, 07:50 AM
So, I think I hit the major metagame changes pretty well. Landstill and Angel Stompy were there, but Enchantress and 9-color Zoo performed better. And, obviously Red Death and Epic Storm. The only completely missing thing was Terrageddon, which I said I didn't expect players to play but I am still surprised people haven't tried it out.

Pinder
03-06-2007, 10:11 AM
So, I think I hit the major metagame changes pretty well. Landstill and Angel Stompy were there, but Enchantress and 9-color Zoo performed better. And, obviously Red Death and Epic Storm. The only completely missing thing was Terrageddon, which I said I didn't expect players to play but I am still surprised people haven't tried it out.

:rolleyes:. You're right, though. It's technically not part of any metagame, so it probably shouldn't be in the article anyway.

CleverPetriDish
03-06-2007, 11:28 AM
I dunno, Pinder. I think it's fair to say that people were playing Slivers before your thread.

Liked the article. Good analysis.

scrumdogg
03-06-2007, 12:13 PM
I dunno, Pinder. I think it's fair to say that people were playing Slivers before your thread.

Liked the article. Good analysis.

Not only have people been playing Slivers before...your deck, while cool & developing nicely, hasn't done a damn thing yet. How can you talk about the format and discuss decks that haven't been in the pool yet? An article on some unplayed & developing creations (cough Meathooks cough) would be a great read & the perfect place to appease Pinder....

blitz
03-06-2007, 12:19 PM
TES... janky?

no.

Cait_Sith
03-06-2007, 01:10 PM
TES... janky?

no.

You do realize the single most active person in making TES was making fun of it right? That was the joke. I just don't like combo decks because I always lose with them. Combo decks don't like me.

Zach Tartell
03-06-2007, 02:32 PM
I just don't like combo decks because I always lose with them. Combo decks don't like me.

I hear you dude. Is there an answer to TES? Without being able to go workshop->trinisphere, I see alot of problems with this newest gem to the metagame. Goblins can't deal with ten tokens before they even have a land. Solidarity is becoming almost obsolete (maybe I'm just biased - I'm 4-0 against it with Enchantress). I think that TES is gonna shake up the game pretty nicely, but I'm not sure that I want it to.

Eldariel
03-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Chalice is still a fine answer, along with means to kill the tokens (Plagues, Sharpshooters, Engineered Explosives, Moats, etc. come to mind) or just Stifling the Warrens/Tendrils. In our testing so far, Faerie Stompy for one has had a very good MU against TES. That Tog-deck seems to do the trick too, and you can't forget MWC beating TES at GAGG.

Finn
03-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Well, I can't speak for the times when they beat you without a land, but Sphere of Resistance (we are using it in Death and Taxes) hits 'em pretty hard. Follow that up with some Glowriders and that's that. The nice part about these suckers is that they are useful against every combo deck, and a lot of control as well.

Oh, and I might consider the Tivadar's Crusades anti-TES tech ;)

Pinder
03-06-2007, 04:46 PM

Not only have people been playing Slivers before...your deck, while cool & developing nicely, hasn't done a damn thing yet. How can you talk about the format and discuss decks that haven't been in the pool yet? An article on some unplayed & developing creations (cough Meathooks cough) would be a great read & the perfect place to appease Pinder....

You're right, though. It's technically not part of any metagame, so it probably shouldn't be in the article anyway.

That was what I was getting at with that last comment.I'm just frustrated, despite the relatively high success myself and others in the west have had with it, there's no major Legacy over here, so there's no way it can put up numbers despite being, IMO, at least Tier 1.5. And the GP is so far away. I guess I'm worried that people will equate a lack of results with a bad deck, which is certainly not the case.

But mostly I'm just whining. A lot. I certainly don't deserve any more special attention than anyone else, so just ignore all of what I said earlier. I've come to my senses.

</hijack>

You can all go back to discussing the article now. It was really good.

Bryant Cook
03-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Right now TES has David Gearhart syndrome, not that it won't go away but for now it has it. TES has too many inexperienced players picking up the deck in a matter of 1-2 weeks. I'm not saying that I'm the only solid TES player but those other people who do know how to play the deck correctly, opt not to play it. Time after time I watch people make play mistakes or are unaware that they are able to go off its ridiculous. Niknight day 1 was playing TES, drew the turn two win and passed the turn. I'm not saying I don't make mistakes, I made one in top 4 versus Dave Price but people need to spend more time learning the deck before playing it at events.