PDA

View Full Version : The Rule of Intent

Cait_Sith
03-02-2007, 09:17 PM
I have heard of the rule of Intent but I have not found any record of it in the Comp Rules. Can anyone tell me what and where it is?

Pinder
03-02-2007, 11:49 PM
edit: I was wrong, read the articles
|
|
|
V

cdr
03-02-2007, 11:50 PM
The phrase is "Ruling by intent". It has to do with handling situations while juding, not the rules.

There's an article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=judge/article/20041111b) by Justus Rönnau and a followup (http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/11999.html) by Lee Sharpe.

Tacosnape
03-03-2007, 02:54 AM
What's "The Shuriken Trick?" in the Sharpe article?

Cait_Sith
03-03-2007, 08:45 AM
This makes me think of another question. If my opponent has a No-Stick with a Boomerang on it and I play a Meddling Mage and set it to Boomerang, do I have to tell him right away that he can still use the Boomerang Imprinted No-Stick or, if he never asks am I not obligated to tell him.

Shuriken Trick: Unless I am mistaken the Shuriken trick is when you activate the equip ability, then put the damage ability above it on the stack. The damage resolves and your opponent gains control of shuriken, but is ends up attached to your creature. Repeat as desired.

parallax
03-03-2007, 10:09 AM
What's "The Shuriken Trick?" in the Sharpe article?

Shuriken trick:

* You have Shuriken equipped to a non-ninja creature and at least one other non-ninja creature under your control untapped (and not summoning-sick). It is helpful if one of these creatures -- or any other creature you control -- has a toughness of 3+.
* On your turn (obv), pay to equip Shuriken to any other creature you have that can tap.
* Before the equip ability resolves, tap the (originally) equipped creature to deal 2 damage to opponent's creature; opponent gains control of Shuriken. He can't do anything with it, as equipping is a sorcery-speed activated ability and it is still your turn.
* Allow the equip ability that you control to resolve, equipping the Shuriken your opponent now controls to your creature. Shuriken gives the activated tap ability to your creature.
* Tap that creature to deal 2 damage to any creature of yours, preferably one that will survive it. As the activated ability was from a non-ninja creature, the targeted creature's controller (you) gains control of Shuriken.

Pinder
03-03-2007, 10:10 AM
This makes me think of another question. If my opponent has a No-Stick with a Boomerang on it and I play a Meddling Mage and set it to Boomerang, do I have to tell him right away that he can still use the Boomerang Imprinted No-Stick or, if he never asks am I not obligated to tell him.

You don't have to tell him. That's up to him to know. If you mage Exalted Angel, and they don't play it face down, certainly isn't your fault. If you Needle naming Exalted Angel, and they don't think they can turn it face up, so much the better for you.

This reminds me of a time when Maverick Needled naming Krosan Reclamation, and he won the game because his opponent didn't think he could flash it back :laugh:.

cdr
03-03-2007, 10:13 AM
You don't have to volunteer information.

If he asks, though, in most situations if your opponent asks you a rules question you are best off telling him to ask a judge.

Cait_Sith
03-03-2007, 10:24 AM
I am glad to see that stupidity is a crime is Magic.

Thank you! I am sure I can think of sneaky tricks now.

parallax
03-03-2007, 10:28 AM
I am glad to see that stupidity is a crime is Magic.

Thank you! I am sure I can think of sneaky tricks now.

Just don't be too sneaky. Intentionally misleading your opponent can be cheating in some circumstances.

Cait_Sith
03-03-2007, 10:59 AM
By sneaky I mean bluff. You know, they had a week dedicated to it. Bluffing is fun.

Pinder
03-03-2007, 10:59 AM
This reminds me of a time when Maverick Needled naming Krosan Reclamation, and he won the game because his opponent didn't think he could flash it back :laugh:.

So, would that count as intentionally misleading your opponent? I don't think it would, but I figured I'd ask.

Tacosnape
03-03-2007, 01:10 PM
So, would that count as intentionally misleading your opponent? I don't think it would, but I figured I'd ask.

It's not intentionally misleading your opponent unless you present the case in some way that the Needle -does- shut down Krosan Reclamation.

For example, if you say "Pithing Needle" and they say okay, and you say "Krosan Reclamation," and they go "Ah, shit." because they think it hurts them, you're fine.

But if they instead go "Does that prevent me from flashing it back?" and you say any form of "Yes," (Basically anything other than "No," or "Ask a judge,"), then you're misrepresenting the game state and basically cheating and deserve whatever happens to you.

Pinder
03-03-2007, 02:17 PM
Good to know. Thanks.