PDA

View Full Version : 4x Volcanic Tourney 3/25/07 Dragon's Lair W.Springfield, Ma.

TheDragonsLair
03-05-2007, 05:39 PM
THE DRAGON"S LAIR in West Springfield Ma announces our large Legacy tournament for the month of March.
Date: Sunday March 25th 2007
Start Time: 12:30PM Registration begins at 11:30 PM
Type: Legacy (1.5) Cost: $10.00
Minimum of 12 People
Where: 683 Westfield ST
West Springfield MA 01089
(413) 731-7237
1st place: 4 Volcanic Islands or $100.00 store credit
2nd place: 4 Meddling Mages or $60.00 store credit
3rd Place: 4 Wastelands or $30.00 store credit
4th Plae: 2 Pernicious Deed or $20.00 store credit
5th-8th Places each get 3 boosters.
This will be a SANCTIONED event.
I have found the missing tables, so we can fit up to 44 people.
Call early if you want to pre-register
Hope to see you there.

Peter_Rotten
03-05-2007, 07:10 PM
Damn, wifey made plans for me on this weekend. Oh well. Mass is safe from Burning Tog for at least one month.

Bane of the Living
03-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Wow that would be great if we started going to 44 a month. Taking over the legacy scene in New England Kev! Awsome prizes this time around btw.

insertnamehere
03-05-2007, 10:08 PM
1st Place: Team Necro
2nd Place: Team Necro
3rd Place: Team Necro
4th Place: Team Necro

Angel of Despair
03-05-2007, 10:11 PM
I second that notion!

Jaynel
03-05-2007, 10:17 PM
The only reason you'd T8 is because Burning Tog won't be there.

Bane of the Living
03-05-2007, 10:28 PM
The only reason you'd T8 is because Burning Tog won't be there.

Bring it. Are all of you NYer's ditching with Rotten?

insertnamehere
03-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Note: There will be no whining if you lose to a girl (woman) and no telling your opponent to go during her turn.

Bane of the Living
03-05-2007, 10:51 PM
Note: There will be no whining if you lose to a girl (woman) and no telling your opponent to go during her turn.

I whine all the time when she beats me.

ForceofWill
03-05-2007, 11:02 PM

And when she drives. :D just kidding but anyway Awesomator will win this event.

insertnamehere
03-05-2007, 11:10 PM

Different kind of beating. see Lego Army Man

scrumdogg
03-06-2007, 12:20 PM
1st Place: Team Necro
2nd Place: Team Necro
3rd Place: Team Necro
4th Place: Team Necro

Ummm if the stars align properly......but let's list the necessities

A) Making Top 8 in the first place...there have been a dearth of Necro in Top 8 the last 2 tournaments

B) Albany not showing up, with P_R getting pussywhipped, that does increase your chances as the transportation just vanished & it's too far for Syracuse apparently (cost/benefit ratio does support them).

C) Woosta not showing up (and that will depend on whether I can swap a shift or not for me & the boy, but me, Josh & Justin all Top 8'd last time).

D) attendance under 22....seriously, when did you guys crack the top since attendance boomed? :cool:

Anyway, now that the trashtalking has well & truly begun, I hope that I can swap a shift & get there. These tournaments are awesome.

ForceofWill
03-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Bring it old man rouge :D.

I guess I"ll have to build a deck that plays chains, humility, and shahrazad just for you.

scrumdogg
03-06-2007, 12:42 PM
I know you did this deliberately Ben, so this is aimed elsewhere - ROGUE, not rouge - unless one is red, French, or retarded..... And as for the Shaharazad, I will set you on fire, but not until you go 0-0-4....

Peter_Rotten
03-06-2007, 01:20 PM
Seriously, I loved this past tourney. It had just the right crappy meta for a deck like Burning Tog to thrive.

Nightmare
03-06-2007, 01:41 PM
As fun as it would be to drive to Mass and beat up on Team Bane and his Barns, the support doesn't support that (punny). It's a great prize if you're close, but not so much when you'd be spending more in gas to get there than you could win for first. Sorry, or maybe, you're welcome.

Peter_Rotten
03-06-2007, 02:10 PM
As fun as it would be to drive to Mass and beat up on Team Bane and his Barns, the support doesn't support that (punny). It's a great prize if you're close, but not so much when you'd be spending more in gas to get there than you could win for first. Sorry, or maybe, you're welcome.

Thank you. I wish to continue to beat MBC, odd Fishy builds, and Welder Survival.

troopatroop
03-06-2007, 02:16 PM
Thank you. I wish to continue to beat MBC, odd Fishy builds, and Welder Survival.

Amen, we say.

niknight
03-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Amen, we say.

God I hope I don't play you again... I don't want to lose another 5 points DRAWING with you in a 16K tournament.

ForceofWill
03-06-2007, 04:11 PM
Don't worry now that me and jay own cards we can play decks that bane didn't make. jk nate but anyway prepare for this because I am just warming up.

Lego
03-06-2007, 09:21 PM
Actually, to confirm certain rumors P_R has been spreading, I'll be swing dancing this weekend. You'll have to wait until April to lose to the new metafoil. Just you wait :wink:

troopatroop
03-06-2007, 10:27 PM
God I hope I don't play you again... I don't want to lose another 5 points DRAWING with you in a 16K tournament.

Lol sir. You should be happy we drew, Mr. staring down double pillar with a clock on the table. Baloth was the next card down you know?

Bane of the Living
03-07-2007, 06:29 PM

Cowabunga!

Just cause PR isnt going none of you NY'ers are? Dont you people have cars?!

Bryant Cook
03-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Not for 80$ for 1st place. Worst prize support ever.

Bane of the Living
03-07-2007, 09:50 PM

A playset of blue duals is a great prize for a 10 dollar entry fee. It may not be worth it for you to take the time and gas to travel to Dragon's Lair but that doesnt mean he's offering bad prize support. These are put on monthly and give our community a great chance to accumulate legacy staples and a bigger metagame.

Kevin does an amazing job running these and even walking away without a prize in hand I feel like the tourny was well worth the entry fee.

insertnamehere
03-07-2007, 11:25 PM

If we throw in a cookie will you come? I have not seen any tourneys this side of the NY border as successful. The Mana Leak drew 60 and 51 on each of their days for $25. We charge $10 and get more than half of what the Leak got. Show us some props and come down, if you are come I will give you a cookie.

tivadar
03-10-2007, 11:45 AM
If we throw in a cookie will you come? I have not seen any tourneys this side of the NY border as successful. The Mana Leak drew 60 and 51 on each of their days for $25. We charge $10 and get more than half of what the Leak got. Show us some props and come down, if you are come I will give you a cookie.

I'll come for the cookie. But it had better be a GOOD cookie. Of course, I'll be there. I'll do my best to either scrub out or come in first. No T8tion without firstplation man!

Anyways, MY T8 record there is relatively decent. Last tourney I scrubbed something fierce (yay going 0-3 and then 3-0), but the one before I believe I drew for first (if that was the 4x tundra tournament). Puritans will be represented there, perhaps with some new tricks this time ;).

EDIT: Unless I randomly decide to bring some savage tech (Solidarity).

Bane of the Living
03-10-2007, 12:14 PM
I'll come for the cookie. But it had better be a GOOD cookie. Of course, I'll be there. I'll do my best to either scrub out or come in first. No T8tion without firstplation man!

Anyways, MY T8 record there is relatively decent. Last tourney I scrubbed something fierce (yay going 0-3 and then 3-0), but the one before I believe I drew for first (if that was the 4x tundra tournament). Puritans will be represented there, perhaps with some new tricks this time ;).

EDIT: Unless I randomly decide to bring some savage tech (Solidarity).

Your playing Puritans, stop joking us. =)

Peter_Rotten
03-10-2007, 12:43 PM

$10.
1&1/2 hour drive for Albany
Scrubby Meta
4 Blue Duals for 1st

I dare say this is the PERFECT tournament sir; however, I can understand not driving 3+ hours for it.

ForceofWill
03-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Seriously I drive 45 minutes from my house (and I drive fast) just to play a 5$ tourny for 25 credit.
Suck it up and come get your ass kicked.

Bane of the Living
03-10-2007, 12:52 PM
$10.
1&1/2 hour drive for Albany
Scrubby Meta
4 Blue Duals for 1st

I dare say this is the PERFECT tournament sir; however, I can understand not driving 3+ hours for it.

Now I need to debate the initial view of our meta. Any legacy event Ive been to aside from 'big' tournies has a ridiculously scrubby meta. I dont know how often, or how many different places you guys in NY play magic but Ive been to three or four different locations that have weekly events. Every one of them has a completely random and diverse amount of decks. There are always the big 3 represented but you'll often play against something you never have before. Such as Burning Tog.

Do any of you really play anywhere where you only play against tier one?

troopatroop
03-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Not really, but in general, playing against G/W Stall.dec, Welder survival, and R/G beats tends to be pretty easy pickins.

ForceofWill
03-10-2007, 07:13 PM
there was an elf deck at TMLO2 and it played wellwishers. and Welder survival is just outdated but not a bad deck.

troopatroop
03-10-2007, 08:24 PM
there was an elf deck at TMLO2 and it played wellwishers. and Welder survival is just outdated but not a bad deck.

It was Beloved chaplain, Loxodon Hierarch, Empyrial plate, Auriok champion, Scroll Rack, Weathered Wayfarer deck.

Watcher487
03-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Now I need to debate the initial view of our meta. Any legacy event Ive been to aside from 'big' tournies has a ridiculously scrubby meta. I dont know how often, or how many different places you guys in NY play magic but Ive been to three or four different locations that have weekly events. Every one of them has a completely random and diverse amount of decks. There are always the big 3 represented but you'll often play against something you never have before. Such as Burning Tog.

Do any of you really play anywhere where you only play against tier one?

Bane let's get 3 things straight about 'your' meta:

1. Zero combo from the area
2. Extripate.deq
3. Most of Team Necro

Ohhh and I've normally showed to these tournies not P_R, I'm even the person who told him about how janky aka scrubby the meta is in the first place.

Nightmare
03-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Do any of you really play anywhere where you only play against tier one?Yes. Our weeklys are generally comprised of upper tier decks. Because our team represents most of the dedicated player base, and we play good decks.

Edit - neither wastedlife nor I are saying 4 blue duals is bad prize support - it's amazing, especially for a $10 tournament. It is not, however, enough to make a 3 hour drive worth it. 45 minutes, or an hour and a half, yes, but 3 hours is a lot of driving and half a gas tank each way.

insertnamehere
03-12-2007, 11:27 PM

1. Zero combo from the area
2. Extripate.deq
3. Most of Team Necro

Ohhh and I've normally showed to these tournies not P_R, I'm even the person who told him about how janky aka scrubby the meta is in the first place.

Now, now Watcher. Most tier 1 decks lose to janky decks because thay don't know how to deal with them. My elf deck beat Goblins, Thresh and Solidarity in the same tournament. They were all good players. That doesn't matter, besides I eat crayons for breakfast, unless they are freshly baked, those I eat as a snack.

Angel of Despair
03-13-2007, 12:07 AM
Now, now Watcher. Most tier 1 decks lose to janky decks because thay don't know how to deal with them. My elf deck beat Goblins, Thresh and Solidarity in the same tournament. They were all good players. That doesn't matter, besides I eat crayons for breakfast, unless they are freshly baked, those I eat as a snack.

Wow, Bill! You are the coolest guy I know. See below...

TheDragonsLair
03-18-2007, 08:20 PM
This tournament will be the last one that I personally can provide support for. I will need to purchase cards to run our future big ones. Does anyone have any ideas of what to put up for prizes. I want to keep first prize at around $100.00 worth of cards. any suggestions would be welcome.

ForceofWill
03-19-2007, 08:25 AM
Buy more duals maybe?

SillyMetalGAT
03-19-2007, 09:51 AM
3. Most of Team Necro

Sounds like your jealous your not on the team.... but i'd MUCH rather be on a team involving freshly baked crayons...... who else is on this "team"? it looks like your the only one so far....

If the meta is so janky, why dont you come down and whoop all our asses and take some blue duals then?

Drathro
03-19-2007, 10:47 AM
I'd like to finally make it to one of these Dragon's Lair Tournaments, but I'm short one vehicle at the moment, so...

Any Albany/Saratoga/etc players have extra space to this tournament and will be passing by Northway exits 12-10 or through Malta/Clifton Park? If so, PM me. Thanks.

Watcher487
03-19-2007, 02:01 PM
Sounds like your jealous your not on the team.... but i'd MUCH rather be on a team involving freshly baked crayons...... who else is on this "team"? it looks like your the only one so far....

If the meta is so janky, why dont you come down and whoop all our asses and take some blue duals then?

Team Freshly Baked Crayons

Shane Flanigan - Watcher487 (Schenectady)
Ken Lecharia - Kenderleech (Indianapolis)
Dave Elrod - freakish777 (Rochester)
Frankie DeLoya - Reverend Damaged (Mechanicville)
Eric Scanlan - *unregged* (about to go into the Military, again...)

Cause I test over there... Why do you think I've been playing Gardens so much over there. Mind you guys I did split Day 2 of TMLO2.

Peter_Rotten
03-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Mind you guys I did split Day 2 of TMLO2.

And the sun shines on a dog's azzhole every once in awhile.

Watcher487
03-19-2007, 02:54 PM
And the sun shines on a dog's azzhole every once in awhile.

And Top 8 Big Arse 2, and Top 16 Legacy Champs, and made Day 2 for GP Cleveland (Invasion Block Constructed)

WUG!!!

insertnamehere
03-19-2007, 10:40 PM
This tournament will be the last one that I personally can provide support for. I will need to purchase cards to run our future big ones. Does anyone have any ideas of what to put up for prizes. I want to keep first prize at around $100.00 worth of cards. any suggestions would be welcome.

All honestly Kev, whatever you put up for prizes will bering the people in. As long as you run top notch tournaments, you will bring in the players. There will always be the wineazz who complains. You currently have the biggest tournies in the area.

Keep doing what you are doing.

scrumdogg
03-19-2007, 10:50 PM
Recycling prizes isn't a bad thing either. Playsets of duals & Forces are always a good draw. Even if the same person wins another playset (as froma previous tourney), they are great trade bait & have the awesome ability to turn themselves into cash quite easily. Higher end cards that are hard to find but have the same characteristics as those listed above are also cool - Moats, Resets, Nether Voids, Abysses, Chains of Mephistopheles - even if they wouldn't be 4x could be good draws, especially since you offer a store credit option anyway.

insertnamehere
03-19-2007, 11:47 PM
Take a poll of the people on sunday and see what everybod there would like to see.

Angel of Despair
03-20-2007, 12:09 AM
Well, people say that they don't see much combo at TDL. I think you should put up Resets! LED, Its hard to find and a great card. Force was an amazing prize and I would love to get a second chance at that. Needles would be good, and so would Mox Diamond. Your tournaments are always great, and more people need to come.

Moby Dick
03-20-2007, 02:18 PM
ehh, i guess ill go. I'll play burn. and win.

troopatroop
03-20-2007, 02:40 PM
ehh, i guess ill go. I'll play burn. and win.

And we rest our case.

ForceofWill
03-20-2007, 04:59 PM
I don't even know who that is.

Angel of Despair
03-20-2007, 06:34 PM
I believe thats the kid that got you banned from TE. lol!

Moby Dick
03-20-2007, 08:26 PM
He got himself banned, you cant lie to and then threaten a player in a tourney that you're judging. and then cry when the cops show up after you come back to the store.

Bane of the Living
03-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Top 8 of this event was..

Green Goblins
Death and Taxes (PhaerimmArchlord)
Opposition (insertnamehere)
Vial Affinity ?
AfFOWnity (me)
U/W/R Landstill
Madness
3 Deuce (watcher)

Top 4
Green Goblins
Death and Taxes
Madness
AfFOWnity

Final Split
Death and Taxes // Green Goblin

Zach Tartell
03-26-2007, 06:41 PM
death and taxes did something? cool.

TheDragonsLair
03-26-2007, 06:49 PM
Thank you to everyone who showed up to the event. It was a great turn out and I hope everyone had a good time. We will be doing another big event hopefully at the end of April, but it might not be until may because I am going on Vacation at the end of April. I will keep you all posted
Thanks again for all of you that showed up!

Bane of the Living
03-26-2007, 06:58 PM
If its in May, obviously watch out for timing with the GP. Great tourny kev, thanks.

Angel of Despair
03-27-2007, 12:48 AM
Wow. Go Team Necro, for totally taking this tournament. As always, it was a great tournament!

~boo to Madness for not being Uber!

Ewokslayer
03-27-2007, 01:32 PM
How many people showed up?

Cavius The Great
03-27-2007, 04:12 PM
Who was playing Green Goblins?

insertnamehere
03-27-2007, 09:41 PM
Who was playing Green Goblins?

One of the newest members of Team Necro (James Mankins)

Team Necro posessed 4 of the top 8 spots last weekend with 24 people in attendance.

Bane of the Living
03-27-2007, 10:19 PM
Thats what happens when you recruit the best players in the area.

troopatroop
03-27-2007, 10:34 PM
Thats what happens when you recruit the best players in the area.

I agree.