PDA

View Full Version : 1st place at local tournament

Darnoc
03-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Legacy tournament February 25th
1st place report
After much testing of various forms of landstill. I settled on BHWC Landstill. I took the list with a few minors changes to main and huge changes to sideboard because of my little brother, who ganked said needed cards. Fortunately as will be later shown I hardly used most of my sideboard.

Land
4 flooded strand
3 Underground Sea
3 Tropical island
3 Tundra
4 Mishra’s factory
3 Faerie Conclave
3 Wasteland
1 Island
Spells
4 Counter spell
4 FoW
2 disenchant
4 P. Deed
4 Brainstorm
3 Fact or fiction
4 Standstill
2 Crucible
4 Swords to plowshares
1 Chainer’s Edict
1 Diabolic Edict
3 Stifle
Sideboard( Sigh, my brother should be tortured for what I had to use here :))
2 Chill
3 Tormods crypt
3 Sphere of Law
4 Meddling Mage
3 Duress
The only thing I really used was duress and chill to a lesser extent.

Here we go
Round1 Ken-something not too sure some Urza-tron deck
game 1: Not much happens he is mana screwed most of the game and wasteland further complicated things.
Sideboard -3 Swords +3 duress
Game 2: pretty much a repeat of game 1. Oh ya deed is good against artifact lands too.
2-0(1-0)
Round 2 Ian Leung R/B Land destruction
Game 1 he leads off double Moxdiamond land crucible but fortunate no waste a few turns later I disenchant it and the drop my own crucible. Then trade spells on relevant cards while beating with conclave.
Game 2: Like game 1 except I reach crucible first and drop chill make land destruction too slow and then kill him at my leisure.
2-0(2-0)
Round 3 can’t remember his name burn
Game 1 I keep a mana heavy hand and end the game with 7 lands in play and 3 more in my hand
ouch!
Sideboard: -4 deed -2 edict -2 swords, +2 chill +3 sphere of law + 3 duress
Game 2 : turn 1 I stifle his fetch and drop chill turn two standstill turn three and by then he’s out of the game.
Game 3: is the game I want to take back. We both have slow starts and he succeeds in burning me down to 1 while I have him at 6. On my turn I try to cast chill since he only has two lands on the board and....... REB shit he then draw lightning bolt and wins the other card in my hand by that time was a duress. Oh well, never made that mistake again this tournament.
1-2(2-1)
Round 4: Ralph G/WB control
Game 1: hymn sinkhole and vindicate hit my lands and loxodon hierarch and exalted angel put his life total far beyond reach. Oh ya wretch hit graveyard so no recurring man lands for me.
Sideboard: cant remember -3 some things for +3 duress
Game 2 We both keep land light lands stifle shined here as I top deck a underground sea at the right time. And he still has no lands I get crucible wastelock and on to game 3.
Game 3: 4 minutes left and due to a rule which says that if game goes to time the person with the most life wins the game so it’s time for the landstill to go aggro( I’ll wait for laughter to stop)
He lands a turn 4 hierarch and I cant reduce his life quick enough so I just concede the game to him.
1-2(2-2) Can still make top 8 but need to win and luck
Round 5: Sean U/W/R Urza-Tron
Game one: We both start slow enough he plays well of knowledge and we both draw extra cards for a little while deed for artifact lands and wasteland keep him low on mana I slowly beat him down he concedes when he doesn’t find boseiju in time.
Sideboard: -2 edict -1 swords +3 duress ( was unsure of deck and thought life gain from swords might be useful.)
Game 2: Starts off the same as game 1 with well of knowledge but I am unable to keep him off of tron this game he then draws redunculous amounts of cards and finds boseiju. I succeed in knocking him down to 4 next turn he blazes me for 15 using boseiju which is my life total exactly. I calmly animate my tapped factory and swords it he concedes after that.
2-0(3-2)
I qualify top 8 as 8th seed boo ya
Top 8 Jasen Deadguy ish control
Game 1 turn 1 hippy gets swords turn confidant sticks for two turns then gets deeded. Somehow I get an early crucible and he cant find vindicate quick enough. I stall him out then beat face.
Sideboard: -3 deed +3 duress
Game2: turn 1 hippy meets swords again and standstill comes down turn two. He needles factory but I mise Deed off my library and take out a shade as well. Factories and conclaves go all the way.
2-0(4-2)
Top4 Kyle U/W Scepter chant
Game 1 We play draw go for a few turns until he intuitions for three scepters then tries to allow scepter I allow it and disenchant it at end of turn. Drop standstill and beat face for a while until he breaks it with disk and.... disenchant again by this time he’s complaining that he cant get the cards he needs. He then concedes the game.
Sideboard: -3 P. Deed +3 duress
Game2: I duress away his chant turn one and get turn 3 crucible waste for his basics he never gets more than 5 mana this entire game and complains some more.
Finals Kevin G/W/R Enchantress
Game1:we start slow he has 2 seal of fire and a Argothian Enchantress and is almost set up when I finally find a deed and rest his board I start pinging him with lands and a second activated Deed Seals the Deal
Game2 : He mulls to five and I have a turn 3 Deed this game wasn’t close at all.
For 1st I got a Volcanic island some random packs a t-shirt, some Ravnica magnets and a Medal
Props:
The TO for actually having a tournament worth going to.
Nick Trudeau and company for coming up with a great deck.
Me for dodging all tier 1 decks, and for placing first.
Ian Leung for taking me out for fish and chips after the tourney.
Slops:
Duress then business must remember.
U/w stick player for whining and sulking
End of time rule for making Landstill go aggro
Finally my Brother who ganked my cards so I had to use very poor substitutes.
This is my first tourney report so I would like feedback on how to make it better.

Cavius The Great
03-06-2007, 02:40 PM
Where was this tournament located? Can you give us more details?

MattH
03-06-2007, 06:47 PM
This is my first tourney report so I would like feedback on how to make it better.
Paragraph breaks!

umbowta
03-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Paragraph breaks!

Seconded.

scrumdogg
03-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Was this sanctioned? If so, that life gain thing seems extremely bogus. Gratz on winning, what would your optimal sideboard have been? And what was your plan for fast combo?

Darnoc
03-07-2007, 02:40 PM
@ Cavius
There were roughly about 30 people at this tournament. The tournament was in Courtney B.C (which is on Vancouver island). I don't have a lot of details because i heard of it last minute. Apparently it was part of a two day convention with one whole day devoted to the magic tournanment.
From what i recall the top 8 was something like this
4cLandstill
Enchantress
u/w scpter chant
Burn
Dragonstorm
Rogue Deadguy
final two i'm not too sure.

@ Scrummdog No it was not sanctioned while i have to agree with you that the swords thing does sound bogus it has happened from time to time.
As for the optimal sideboard since aggro is less prevalent, here than Combo or control( from my perspective at least) It would be something like this:
4 Duress
3-4 Sacred Ground
4 Chill
3-4 meddling mage
Edit: For fast combo, while it can be a problem matchup, was generally held in check by force and stifle then duress and mages came out of the board. Right now Xantid swarms aren't really being utilized yet.