PDA

View Full Version : [Report] 3-3 with Red Death at the Running GAGG Legacy Tournament

URABAHN
03-07-2007, 04:14 PM
Red Death has not been particularly kind to me, earning me a 4-3 record at the TMLO #1. I wanted to play Red Death or Solidarity, but chose Red Death because Deep6er said Mono-Blue Solidarity is awful in the aggro-control matchup. Play something creative or play something everyone is expecting? I chose the path less traveled.

4 Duress
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Sinkhole
4 Nantuko Shade
4 Phyrexian Negator
4 Hypnotic Specter
3 Rotting Giant
1 Wretched Anurid
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Chain Lightning
4 Wasteland
4 Dark Ritual
3 Badlands
4 Polluted Delta
3 Bloodstained Mire
7 Swamp

SB:
4 Dystopia
3 Tormod's Crypt
1 Darkblast
4 Engineered Plague
3 Null Rod

Speaking of choosing the path less traveled, you'll notice I ran a different SB than Anwar, who placed 5th with the same deck. I wasn't sold on the Jitte technology and felt that Null Rod would have been a better choice for TES and IGGy Pop. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Round 1 vs. Goblins
Game 1 - He was all over me like that old bastard married to Anna Nicole Smith.
Game 2 - I keep a hand with Ritual, E. Plague, couple of Swamps, and some other gas. I wait for him to drop a Lackey, then Ritual into E. Plague. On Turn 4, I drop Rotting Giant and Nantuko Shade and he plays Pyrokinesis EoT. Then he Disenchants E. Plague and plays a guy or two. On my turn, I play Wretched Anurid and another Plague and proceed to lose a ton of life when he plays guys only to have them die and Vials in a Siege-Gang Commander. Fuck me running. Anwar says he lost 8 life vs. Goblins once and still won. I don't think that's a good reason to keep Anurid in the deck vs. Goblins.

Round 2 & 3 vs. James Peyton's friend playing IGGy Pop and Wastedlife playing TES.

I don't remember who I lost to first, I just remember wishing I had Cabal Therapy because Null Rod was worthless in these two matchups.

(Not so) Fond Memories -

Getting IGGy on the ropes with a couple of threats only to have him peel Infernal Tutor and friggin' win.

Resolving Null Rod vs. IGGy Pop after seeing his hand with 2 Lotus Petal, 3 LED, Tendrils (Duress'd away), and 2 Dark Ritual only to have him dump his entire hand after peeling another Infernal Tutor.

Wastedlife making 8 Goblins tokens on his Turn 1 + me not siding in E. Plague.

Round 4 - BYE

Round 5 - Birdman playing Birds

Game 1 - I'm not aggressive enough and I lose and I'm pissed. I tell myself I ain't going out like that! FUCK THAT SHIT!

Game 2 - I'm all over him like a pedophile in the girls bathroom at the local Elementary school. What the hell does that even mean?

Game 3 - Same story, but this time it's the bathroom at the Junior High.

Round 6 - Birdman's friend playing Angel Stompy

Game 1 - I think I win handily? I remember never needing Null Rod in this matchup.

Game 2 - I kinda sorta talk him into a loss! The situation is a follows: He has a Jitte attached to a Silver Knight and an Exalted Angel. I have a Hypnotic Specter and a Phyrexian Negator. He is at 2 life. I tell him no matter how he blocks, he's dead because he'll be at 0 life before the Jitte trigger resolves or the Angel trigger resolves. We, uh, kinda forgot that Silver Knight had first strike. I think I would've won anyway...I did have Dystopia in hand, which would've been the right thing to do and pass the turn.

I just suck at Red Death. I made horrible sideboard choices, mulled every single game like I was my fucking job, and either got a fistfull of disruption, creatures, or Bolts, but never a nice mix. Null Rod is godawful and should have been 3 Therapy for sure. I swore to abandon this deck after overlord95 made Top 8 with 59-card Landstill. More on how I did at the Mana Leak Open #2 in another report.

Props:
Magic Players outnumbering the other Gamers at the GAGG Event.
Cathy and Rockwell Yarid for letting me stay at their crib.
The triple fisting video on Yahoo.com

Slops:
Mr. Nipples for talking about Rifling the whole ride up. Seriously, why talk about sucking someone's dick, playing with their balls, and fingering their ass when you could've shown us on Deep6er.
quicksilver for only having two nekkid pictures on his computer. I thought he was a much bigger pervert than that! Who gets off with only a Penthouse Magazine near their bed?

Eldariel
03-07-2007, 04:19 PM
Game 2 - I kinda sorta talk him into a loss! The situation is a follows: He has a Jitte attached to a Silver Knight and an Exalted Angel. I have a Hypnotic Specter and a Phyrexian Negator. He is at 2 life. I tell him no matter how he blocks, he's dead because he'll be at 0 life before the Jitte trigger resolves or the Angel trigger resolves. We, uh, kinda forgot that Silver Knight had first strike. I think I would've won anyway...I did have Dystopia in hand, which would've been the right thing to do and pass the turn.

Is it just me or would've a double block on your Negator, wait for your sacs, kill Hypno if it's still alive have totally raped you? I mean, you would've been down to 0 creatures and had to sacrifice 6 permanents, which probably means Dystopia would've been uncastable.

scrumdogg
03-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Plus either the Angel or the Jitted Knight swing next turn, before Dystopia even had a chance to whack them much (assuming A) you could cast it, B) they had no other white perms in play - any?). At what point did you and your (awful) Angel Stompy opponent finally realize Silver Knight had first strike?

EDIT: Another possible scenario for blocking - double block, SK triggers Jitte, -1/-1 to Negator, -1/-1 to Hyppie (cuz any burn spell is fatal anyway....) go to 1, watch opponent sac own board, equip Angel, crush.

URABAHN
03-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Plus either the Angel or the Jitted Knight swing next turn, before Dystopia even had a chance to whack them much (assuming A) you could cast it, B) they had no other white perms in play - any?). At what point did you and your (awful) Angel Stompy opponent finally realize Silver Knight had first strike?

EDIT: Another possible scenario for blocking - double block, SK triggers Jitte, -1/-1 to Negator, -1/-1 to Hyppie (cuz any burn spell is fatal anyway....) go to 1, watch opponent sac own board, equip Angel, crush.

Mike Morgan, my IGGy Pop opponent from earlier, pointed out the First Strike gaffe. Silver Knight and Angel were his only two white permanents, I should've just played Dystopia and passed the turn, I had plenty of life to spare.