PDA

View Full Version : 2nd at the Mana Leak Open day 1

Dr. Teeth
03-07-2007, 09:49 PM
Ok, let me start out by saying that i didn't take any notes so no one freak-out on me for any discrepancys, and i don't have all of the names of the guys i played against. Anyway, this is the deck i played.

Main
3 psychatog
3 pernicious deed
2 vedalken shackles
3 cunning wish
4 AK
3 brainstorm
3 intuition
2 FoF
1 LftL
4 counterspell
3 mana leak
4 force of will
2 circular logic
1 wasteland
1 mishra's factory
4 underground sea
4 tropical island
4 polluted delta
2 flodded strand
3 snow-covered island
1 snow-covered swamp
2 lonely sandbar
1 barren moor

Board
1 berserk
1 hideous laughter
1 ghastly demise
1 misdirection
1 naturalize
1 corpse dance
1 pernicious deed
4 duress
4 engineered plauge

Round 1 Slay, playing Rabid wombat (Deck Check #1)
omg this match-up is annoying. i can't lose but it takes sooo long to win.
Game 1 i lose the roll. After 15 minutes we get our decks back and he informs me that this is his first tournement, which is news to me. the early game is just alot of eternal dragon(x4) cycling and intuition/FoFing. i slow roll a shackles to take his dragon which he keeps dringing back but he just wing shards it. he akroma's vengences and kills my shackles but i'm holding the other. i cunning wish for corpse dance. i think i daned five times this game, as he draws 4x wing shards. after a while he replays a dragon so i take it, dance and swing he shards for 4 i counter 3 copys and kill him with tog. god i hate this match, 10 minutes left in the round.
-3 mana leak +3 duress
Game 2 this game is MUCH less annoying as apparently he boards in the man plan vs. me. turn 3 he plays a razor golem... so i shackle it and it goes the distance. hahaha ah, good times.
2-0
1-0

Round 2 Dude, playing Ravager affinity
Game 1 i lose the roll again. he mulligans to 5 my hand suchs but it doesn't matter as he draws like 7 land, on a side note i don't see a single green land this game.
+3 duress +1 deed -2 logic -2 FoF
Game 2 i think this game we both mull to 6 my hand is much better this game i counter every threat except 1x diciple which i shackle then activate deed dealing 8 damage to him, factory seals the deal.
4-0
2-0

Round 3 Guy other than Bryant, playing TES
Game 1 my opening hand has bouble force of will he trys to go off on his second(?) turn and doesn't recover from there.
+4 duress -1 LftL -1 FoF -2 shackles, my boarding is weird because i had never played this match before, i figured it out before i played bryant.
Game 2 he has an early non-turn 1 swarm which cover's me in bees for a turn. i play my 4th land and say go he enter's the attack step i wish for demise and kill his swarm, bluffing force, which i don't have by the way. he has an internal struggle for like 5 minutes before saying go, i draw force off the top and have 3 counterspells up for next turn when he tries to go off. after a while i ask how many counterspells do i need to show for him to scoop. "3" so i show him 5 and a FoF and he scoops.
6-0
3-0

Round 4 David Price, playing RGBSA
damn it, double damn it i hate playing other guys from rochester, so annoying.
Game 1i win the roll!! he mulls to 6 and my hand is retarded. for how good my hand is his first play of the game is turn 4 anger!!! wow, dave what were you thinking when you kept this hand. i win easily.
+2 duress +1 Deed -1 LftL -1 wish -1 logic
Game 2 he beats me up to around 4 but I deed, then counter every important spell of his for the rest of the game.
8-0
4-0

Round 5 Zach Tartell, playing enchantress, and bringing sexy back i might add.
I.D.

Round 6 Jeff Folinus, playing RIT.Deck, if you know what i mean
i get paired down but we figure its best to draw, but jeff ends up getting
9th :frown: 4th to 9th... wow

TOP 8

Round 1 James Mankins, playing Fairy stompy
Game 1 i win the roll. his first turn play it mox diamond tomb sea drake, i force it, he forces back...ok. his turn 2 is sea drake #2, oki untap and play vedalken shackles he procedes to swing one drake into the other and he loses to shackles. -1 FoF +1 Deed
Game 2 its close to game 1 except that i deed his board once or twice and and he never feels like equiping his SoFI to his guys. Notably he dies to one swing from his own efreet after paying the upkeep for it a million times + tomb.
after this match i hear that Anwar lost :smile:, he was my only bad matchup in the top 8 so i am psyched...atog, haha bad puns...

TOP 4Brandon Lepage with 4c Threshold
Game 1 i honestly don't remember much about this game except that i win decisively useing the combo of life from the loam + wasteland Vs. 4c.deck.
+2 duress +1 Deed -2 logic -1 wish
Game 2 his quick beats put me at a low enough life before i deed for his 3(?) bolts to finish me off.
Game 3 this game he has 3 needles but i wish for naturalize and kill the one nameing deed, that and LftL put the game far from his reach.

TOP 2 Bryant Cook, playing TES
Game 1 i lose the roll. he goes turn 1 empty for 10, i force a copy. play a factory block a couple times brainstorm, fetch, AK but no deed :rolleyes: what ever.
+4 Duress +1 Deed -2 FoF -2 shackles -1 wish
Game 2 i force a swarm, he infernals for a second tendrils, at which point i'm thinking, O shit. i have 1 counterspell in hand and i am at 17 uh oh.
when he goes for the first tendrils its for 8 so i take it like a child molester in prison. the second for 12 i counterspell a copy then intuition for 3 counterspell and counter another copy and go to 1 life. then AFTER he tries to off i start to draw counterspells. He wishes for a weapon, but not the skill to weild it, as i counter all his exceleration and a tog go's friggan insane and eats him. phew.
Game 3 i might have mulkled this game, i can't remember. my hand sucks, and i'm on the draw. i have counterspell, duress. but his turn 1 play is swarm go... :cry: to top it off in the last game of the tornement i decide miss play with duress taking infernal tutor over LED, though it turns out it didn't matter as he brainstorms into another LED. i lose turn 2.

haha second place. way to go ray, another awesome tournement.

Props
1. ray for being an awesome guy
2. Mr. stolze for bringing a scrub like me to Connecticut
3. rochester for puting lots of people into the top 8's of both days
4. Psychatog for killing my opponents 1 by 1
5. Zach for top8ing 3 tournements in a row with enchantress
6. our hotel for being amazing
7. all my opponents for being nice guys

Slops
1. everyone on earth who plays magic but didn't show up for this tournement and costing me 90 dollars *coughZachFinecough*
2. me for sucking in the finals
3. Bryant for covering me in bee's... damn bees
4. tiebreakers for screwing over jeff
5. the mexican place we went after the tournement, when i ask for a cheese burger mustard only and them giving me a sub with meat tomato and letuce...
6. shitty decks lose for putting two people into the top 8 day 2.

Ta Jugs
03-07-2007, 09:57 PM
Ur deck is the shiz! DEED plus SHACKLES are too insane to be in the same deck. OMG it is insane!!!!. But seriously congrats Kyle. And by the way you made a mistake of posting a tournament report on the source now you will start posting more and more you fell into their trap NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

URABAHN
03-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Allowing the Burning Wish to resolve in Game 2 was extremely risky. I heard you misplayed Game 3 by not taking LED with Duress.

Zach Tartell
03-07-2007, 11:13 PM
Round 5 Zach Tartell, playing enchantress, and bringing sexy back i might add.
I.D.

Props
5. Zach for top8ing 3 tournements in a row with enchantress

This kid knows where it's at.

Dr. Teeth
03-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Allowing the Burning Wish to resolve in Game 2 was extremely risky. I heard you misplayed Game 3 by not taking LED with Duress.

i'm not sure i had a counter to counter it with, because i had just used my only 2 on not dieing

Mr. Nipples
03-08-2007, 10:19 PM
to top it off in the last game of the tornement i decide miss play with duress taking infernal tutor over LED, though it turns out it didn't matter as he brainstorms into another LED. i lose turn 2.
Actually I think you could have won that game had you taken the LED. I remember you having a Deed in your hand, so had you taken the LED you would have had an ample amount of time to Deed away his Xantid Swarm (turning on all the counters in your hand) because I don't think Bryant would've had enough gas to go off on the strength of the one LED he drew into.

Gekoratel
03-09-2007, 01:47 AM
Actually I think you could have won that game had you taken the LED. I remember you having a Deed in your hand, so had you taken the LED you would have had an ample amount of time to Deed away his Xantid Swarm (turning on all the counters in your hand) because I don't think Bryant would've had enough gas to go off on the strength of the one LED he drew into.

It's hard to say really because Byrant had 3 threats in hand Burning Wish, Infernal Tutor, and LED. His only mana was two lands which made taking LED the correct play. But if his Brainstorm revealed an LED then he could cast the Infernal Tutor for another copy of LED giving him ample mana to go broken. In this time Kyle we need to draw Deed, Disruption, and have time to activate the Deed while. It would have given him a few more turns which is all you can ask against a combo deck when your playing control. Can't really blame him for the mistake after playing that many rounds you can start to lose focus; same thing happened to Mr. Nightmare in the finals of the first TML Open.

BTW, congrats again on the finish see you at the PTQ this Sun.

Mr. Nipples
03-09-2007, 02:10 AM
Well, I guess what I'm not sure on is when the Brainstorm was cast and when Bryant went off, but I do remember Kyle's hand already having a lot of disruption + Deed already. I suppose finding the time to blow Deed was an issue though.

hi-val
03-09-2007, 11:54 AM
3. Bryant for covering me in bee's... damn bees

Oh man, is that neologism getting all the way out to the East Coast too? That tickles me. Paul Mastriano and I always say "covered in BEES!" when we atack with Xantids, and AFAIK, I think we started it (but don't call me on it). It's a reference to an Eddie Izzard joke. I'm happy that the phrase is spreading.

Bonus: when boarding in Xantids, we always refered to it as "Plan Bee".

Nightmare
03-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Oh man, is that neologism getting all the way out to the East Coast too? That tickles me. Paul Mastriano and I always say "covered in BEES!" when we atack with Xantids, and AFAIK, I think we started it (but don't call me on it). It's a reference to an Eddie Izzard joke. I'm happy that the phrase is spreading.

Bonus: when boarding in Xantids, we always refered to it as "Plan Bee".I got it from Paul, when we were discussing Grim Long like a year and a half ago, and I spread that shit as far as I could. I also have a Xantid Bee on my playmat, so my opponents are always covered in Bees. Before I got Foil ones, my Swarms all had modified flavor text, so when they were turned sideways, my opponents could read the text "Covered in Bees" from their perspective. I think Herbig has those now.

Dr. Teeth
03-09-2007, 04:58 PM

Bonus: when boarding in Xantids, we always refered to it as "Plan Bee".

i actually got that from a couple of meandeck guys out in Rochester

EDIT: AKA Stephen Menendian

kirdape3
03-09-2007, 06:25 PM
You sir, are Covered in Bees (tm).

The best is when people don't know that it's a when it attacks trigger, and tries to slow-roll something :D.

Osse
03-09-2007, 10:37 PM
Your list is missing 3 cards, I'm guessing they're Duresses. Congrats on the finish, etc.

EDIT: you forgot your brainstorms, lol. You really don't like that card, do you?