PDA

View Full Version : Floating Mana - Price of Glory

Tacosnape
03-08-2007, 01:51 AM
Alright. For eternity good players have been telling me I should always announce my spell and -then- pay my costs for it, but I think I've hit on a situation where it might be better not to do this.

Here's the posish. I'm playing Solidarity. My opponent has Price of Glory on the board, an enchantment with the triggered ability "Whenever a player taps a land for mana, if it's not that player's turn, destroy that land."

Standard spell procedure is, of course, announcing the spell, then paying costs, tapping lands for mana, and such.

Therefore my two questions are as follows:

1. If I follow standard spell procedure by announcing a spell in the combo and then tapping my Islands for blue mana, do the Price of Glory triggers go on the stack -after- my spell, meaning my spell won't resolve until after the Price of Glory triggers eat my islands?

2. Can I then circumvent this process by simply floating my mana first to put the Price of Glory triggers on the stack, then by playing the next spell in the combo, so the spell resolves with the Price of Glory triggers on the stack, meaning I can essentially perform this process over and over making Price of Glory completely harmless and combo off with about 30-40 Price of Glory triggers on the stack?

Maverick676
03-08-2007, 03:21 AM
I'm pretty sure you can float the mana to avoid the price of glory's effect.

Cait_Sith
03-08-2007, 07:14 AM
1. Yes. When you announce the spell you pay the costs. Tapping to pay the costs triggers the Price of Glory, but because the triggers cannot go onto the stack until you are done paying the costs/choosing the targets, your spell will go on first, then the PoG triggers.

Edit: The "yes" is correct, the reasoning is all scrwed up. As soon as you announce your spell it is on the stack, so all triggers are above it.

2. Yes. You simply have to pay the mana cost when you announce the spell, so tapping your lands beforehand to float the mana is fine.