PDA

View Full Version : What Manner Of Travesty Is This!?!?!?!

Mr. Nipples
03-09-2007, 02:20 AM
Simian Spirit Guide
Planar Chaos common. The original concept for this card was "Anaba Spirit Guide," and it showed a Minotaur based on Homelands' Anaba culture. In an attempt to synch up Planar Chaos “timeshifted” cards with the set they originally appeared in, the art was redone showing an Ape – one of the key races from Alliances, home of the original Elvish Spirit Guide.)
I DEMAND AN IMMEDIATE ERRATA OF SIMIAN SPIRIT GUIDE!!

Mad Zur
03-09-2007, 02:58 AM
As far as balance goes, it was the right call. I mean, it would have been fun for a while, but the long term health of the environment is what's important here. Legacy doesn't need another Tier 1 combo deck, especially one almost completely unaffected by the current hate. Control is essentially nonexistent and aggro-control can barely keep up with the metagame pressures it faces now; pushing this card over the top would have destroyed any semblance of balance we enjoy in this format. To say nothing of what would have happened to Extended.

vigilante
03-09-2007, 02:59 AM
I'm still disappointed that they didn't do a timeshifted version of Goblin Ringleader and call it Anaba Grunt. That'd obviously have pushed Thunder Bluff back into the spotlight (not to mention over-the-top in terms of viability).

Long live Team Unicorn.

Mr. Nipples
03-09-2007, 03:56 AM
As far as balance goes, it was the right call. I mean, it would have been fun for a while, but the long term health of the environment is what's important here. Legacy doesn't need another Tier 1 combo deck, especially one almost completely unaffected by the current hate. Control is essentially nonexistent and aggro-control can barely keep up with the metagame pressures it faces now; pushing this card over the top would have destroyed any semblance of balance we enjoy in this format. To say nothing of what would have happened to Extended.
Yes, I suppose you're right. Turn 1 surprise double Didgeridoo on the play would pretty much equal GG everytime. I'm simply aggitated because I know this would have swung the notoriously bad Wizard Control match-up in Thunder Bluff's favor.

Aggro_zombies
03-09-2007, 04:00 AM
Yes, I suppose you're right. Turn 1 surprise double Didgeridoo on the play would pretty much equal GG everytime. I'm simply aggitated because I know this would have swung the notoriously bad Wizard Control match-up in Thunder Bluff's favor.
Yeah, but who plays that deck? WotC probably figured they'd learned their lesson with Skullclamp and therefore wanted to give the format at least one out against the wrecking ball that is Minotaur Advantage.

Mr. Nipples
03-09-2007, 05:02 AM
Yeah, but who plays that deck?
I think you're forgetting the current triangle make-up of the Legacy meta. Thunder Bluff beats Food Chain Aurochs, Food Chain Aurochs beats Wizard Control, and Wizard Control beats Thunder Bluff (Anaba Spirit Guide would have taken Thunder Bluff over the top). I'm not quite sure why this hasn't caught on over on the West Coast, but here in Virginia we constantly see these decks at our local tournaments.

Also, let's not compare a mere trifle of a card such as Skullclamp to the shere brokenness that potentially could have been Anaba Spririt Guide.

Pinder
03-09-2007, 05:36 AM
...and Wizard Control beats Thunder Bluff (Anaba Spirit Guide would have taken Thunder Bluff over the top).

Even then, the Wizard Control matchup was certainly winnable in the hands of a competent pilot.

But think about it. Early game acceleration that turns into late game uncounterable Minotaur Advantage? That's just insane. The meta is fragile enough as is. They obviously tested this card as a minotaur in development, and changed it solely because it was overpowered. Screw this story crap. That's just a cover.

I'm not quite sure why this hasn't caught on over on the West Coast, but here in Virginia we constantly see these decks at our local tournaments.

I don't know. I see these decks occasionally when I run into east coasters on MWS, but a turn 1 Didgeridoo usually spells out <System> Player Lost for me. I'm bad at playing Wizard Control, and nothing else I play can handle that beast. Even if I try to play Thunderbluff, that thing is, what, 80-90% in the mirror?

Also, let's not compare a mere trifle of a card such as Skullclamp to the shere brokenness that potentially could have been Anaba Spririt Guide.

Amen to that.

Aggro_zombies
03-09-2007, 05:52 AM
I'm not quite sure why this hasn't caught on over on the West Coast, but here in Virginia we constantly see these decks at our local tournaments.
Yeah, I guess we're a bit backwards in that regard. However, I will say that not having to worry about an opposing turn-one Didgerdoo is a blessing not to be underestimated!

Peter_Rotten
03-09-2007, 07:17 AM
My God, WHY, WHY have you forsaken me?

Vardaman
03-09-2007, 09:11 AM
Please let this joke die.

Pinder
03-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Please let this joke die.

What joke?

C.P.
03-09-2007, 11:24 AM
When the hell are they going to print Merfork Sprit Guide and Hormarid Sprit Guide?

Vardaman
03-09-2007, 11:24 AM
What joke?

The Thunder Bluff jokes.

MasterBlaster
03-09-2007, 11:25 AM
The fact that WOTC made it a non-minotaur shows that they do indeed care about this format. I thank them for their concern.

Slay
03-09-2007, 11:39 AM
When the hell are they going to print Merfork Sprit Guide and Hormarid Sprit Guide?

In about ten years ago.
-Slay

C.P.
03-09-2007, 02:22 PM
In about ten years ago.
-Slay

Damn. My Super Merfork/Homarid Grow Will be tier 1 if they printed it.

Hopely Future Sight have timeshfted Merfork Piledriver and Merfork warchief.

Happy Gilmore
03-09-2007, 03:42 PM
The Thunder Bluff jokes.

This is no joke! Do you realize how close Legacy came to complete
Annihilation? Not to mention that Didgeridoo might pull a Reset and make team unicorn rich since they have 1% of all of the total WoTC prints!

overlord95
03-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Even then, the Wizard Control matchup was certainly winnable in the hands of a competent pilot.Even in the hands of a very skilled pilot it is still a really thuff match up. The best approach to this match up is board in more Nova Pentacles and take the Staxs approach and choke them up on mana and then just resolve BIG AUNTIE in there grill piece, and throw a paper towel at them then tell them to whip themselves off.

Please let this joke die. See boys and girls this is what we call a hater.

noobslayer
03-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Don't forget Merfolk Lackey, Matron, and Fanatic. That deck would be utterly pimp.

C.P.
03-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Don't forget Merfolk Lackey, Matron, and Fanatic. That deck would be utterly pimp.

Merfork Confidant and Merfork Grunt would be nice, too.

Pinder
03-09-2007, 05:59 PM
Merfork Confidant and Merfork Grunt would be nice, too.

And don't forget Merfolk Queen, the 7/7 for UUUUU that makes Merfolk Tokens.

MasterBlaster
03-09-2007, 06:11 PM

You're a merfolk queen.

C.P.
03-09-2007, 06:15 PM

Oh, So do we get Merfork Overlord and Crystalin merfork for the merfork mirror match?

If we do, that will be the day that I quit playing Sui Black.

vigilante
03-09-2007, 06:20 PM
Quit whining...you got Merfolk Thaumaturgist -- why would you need anything else?

C.P.
03-09-2007, 06:25 PM
Quit whining...you got Merfolk Thaumaturgist -- why would you need anything else?

Cuz Merfolks are tha awesomeness and they need to beat Minotaur, of course.

noobslayer
03-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Think we could get a merfolk watermancer?

EDIT: And merfolk mage, to foil the combo match-up.

C.P.
03-09-2007, 07:46 PM
Think we could get a merfolk watermancer?

EDIT: And merfolk mage, to foil the combo match-up.

I think we can get Merfork Acetic for a Solid Beater. And Hypnotic Merfork and Merfork negator for combo. Merfork Negator and Crystalin Merfork is the tech.

Bane of the Living
03-09-2007, 07:56 PM
http://www.yawgatog.com/cards/stfu.jpg

noobslayer
03-09-2007, 08:01 PM

I'll see that, and raise you one VoidMerfolk Podigy.

Mr. Nipples
03-09-2007, 09:48 PM
Agreed. Let's get back on topic people. This thread was created so we could discuss the format breaking effect Anaba Spirit Guide would have had if it had been printed.

Also, the idea that merfolk could ever be as good (let alone better) than Minotaurs is noobish at it's core, and amounts to nothing more than a pipe dream (at best) in the end. Everyone needs to realize that the only true advantage is Minotaur Advantage.

vigilante
03-09-2007, 10:00 PM
Everyone needs to realize that the only true advantage is Minotaur Advantage.QFT. The best Merfolk.dec could ever hope for is virtual pseudo-advantage.

Pinder
03-10-2007, 03:04 AM
QFT. The best Merfolk.dec could ever hope for is virtual pseudo-advantage.

Yeah, even with that Merfolk from Homelands that's basically like Anaba Grunt, without Didgeridoo to power them out or other Merfolk that are as good as the Minotaurs in Thunderbluff, Merfolk.dec just can't generate the same sort of sheer advantage that Thunderbluff can.

Alex_Van_R
03-10-2007, 08:05 AM
Yeah, even with that Merfolk from Homelands that's basically like Anaba Grunt, without Didgeridoo to power them out or other Merfolk that are as good as the Minotaurs in Thunderbluff, Merfolk.dec just can't generate the same sort of sheer advantage that Thunderbluff can.

You just made a radley out of yourself.

C.P.
03-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Ok, you do realize that the fact that WotC did not print Anaba Spirit Guide means that they hate Minotaurs for being so broken. They're pushing Merfolks and will end up making it tier 1. Run for your life, Thunderbluff, while you still can.

MasterBlaster
03-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Ok, you do realize that the fact that WotC did not print Anaba Spirit Guide means that they hate Minotaurs for being so broken. They're pushing Merfolks and will end up making it tier 1. Run for your life, Thunderbluff, while you still can.

Merfolk will never be better than minotaurs as long as Didjeridoo remains unbanned.

Cait_Sith
03-10-2007, 03:32 PM
I am going to take this unlocked thread as proof that all the mods hate me.

On Topic:

Merfolk > Minotaur.

calosso
03-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Merfolk > Minotaur.

This is why the mods hate you.

Pinder
03-10-2007, 03:45 PM
This is why the mods hate you.

Just for the record, Minotaur > Merfolk.

Just saying :wink:.

C.P.
03-12-2007, 09:40 AM
Merfolk>>>>>>>>Hormarid>>>Minotaur

Didjeridoo doen't count as a card because it is too savage.

Slay
03-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Didjeridoo

-Slay

C.P.
03-12-2007, 10:26 AM
-Slay

Oh, I just mispelled the most powerful card ever printed. Shame on me. I apologize by killing myself.

Slay
03-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Oh, I just mispelled the most powerful card ever printed. Shame on me. I apologize by killing myself.

Apology accepted.
-Slay

Epheniculles
03-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Recently had a set back as Merfolk were using Shapeshifters to equal the power struggle. I added Dwarves and at first it doesn't look to be a match made in heaven, but they teamed up quite nicely with the horde from Thunderbluff. While not as powerful outright, the deck became more Aggro Control and more consistant specially in the face of such shenanigans.

Pinder
03-13-2007, 07:12 PM
Didgeridoo doesn't count as a card because it is too savage.

That's like saying Black Lotus doesn't count as a card because it's too good, and even then Lotus (and Workshop) is typically used in Vintage to obtain the coveted first turn triple Didgeridoo. That's pretty much impossible for your opponent to come back from.

C.P.
03-13-2007, 08:00 PM
That's like saying Black Lotus doesn't count as a card because it's too good, and even then Lotus (and Workshop) is typically used in Vintage to obtain the coveted first turn triple Didgeridoo. That's pretty much impossible for your opponent to come back from.

Well, Black Lotus can cast fist turn triple Merfork of Pearl Trident, mind you. Although I admit Didgeridoo is better then MoPT, MoPT's are pretty savage, too.

Oh, first turn Vodalian War Machine is also the savage, as well.

EDIT: Lotus is not savage as Didgeridoo, so it counts as card. Come on, Didgeridoo's existence itself is totally not fair.