PDA

View Full Version : [Article] The Legacy Mail Bag

Bardo
03-15-2007, 12:21 AM
Link. (http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/13855.html)

Mail bag column are among my favorite kind of Magic reading material, so it gives me a lot of pleasure to write Legacy's first ever Mail Bag column. If this flops, and it just might do that, let's consider this an experiment gone awry. If it works, I might give this a shot again or pass the Mail Bag torch to one of my fellow columnists.

Thanks to everyone who sent in questions.

scrumdogg
03-15-2007, 05:42 AM
Well done - well written, nicely chosen (& explained) series of questions. Hopefully this is just the first of many Legacy Mailbags.

Bryant Cook
03-15-2007, 06:22 AM
Great article! Although, the part on TES was incorrect about "convincing your teammates." None of my teammates played the deck.

URABAHN
03-15-2007, 06:32 AM
49 Cents: “I think the Americans haven't caught onto TerraGeddon because they look at the list and think ‘There is no way in hell this thing could beat combo.' Therefore, they don't even test the deck. I think this is a mistake, because the deck is solid against almost everything other deck, and the sideboard contains the tools to beat combo as well.

Do Germans really believe that 4 Orim's Chant will beat combo?

Lukas Preuss
03-15-2007, 06:51 AM

He's from the Netherlands... and I can't wait to prove him wrong at that gigantic Legacy event in Utrecht in April. Because, you know...

from my brief chats with European players, many are just not that keen on Solidarity, but the results from morphling.de testify that the deck had a respectable run in Germany late in 2005 into early 2006, and then it just sort of died out.
... I plan on playing Solidarity again after I quit playing it in early 2006... ;)

Citrus-God
03-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Great article! Although, the part on TES was incorrect about "convincing your teammates." None of my teammates played the deck.

Nightmare did after you won TML Open 2: Day 1...

Nightmare
03-15-2007, 09:46 AM
Nightmare did after you won TML Open 2: Day 1...I did? There have been events since then?

I've been playing the deck longer than that.

Cait_Sith
03-15-2007, 10:49 AM
My post seems to have been eaten. Anyway that was a nice article Bardo. I like the summing up of Survival, makes my life easier.

Di
03-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Really nice article, lots of good info there. Also, this might be a bit of a nitpick since it really doesn't matter all too much with percentages, but you didn't mention the GAGG tournament in Geneseo, NY. I only say this because Survival did manage a top4 in that tournament, not to mention it was the first tournament Enchantress made a comeback.

Bardo
03-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Again, thanks for all of the kind feedback. I'm not kidding when I say this was a pain in the ass to write, which I thought was odd, since most of my things just write themselves. Then I realized that I sort of forced myself to write about things that I wouldn't normally write about (like B&R stuff which I religiously avoid).

Well done - well written, nicely chosen (& explained) series of questions.

Thanks, you're kind of a curmudgeon, so I'm happy it went over well with you. :)

the part on TES was incorrect about "convincing your teammates." None of my teammates played the deck.

My mistake there. I assumed EPIC played it with you. I guess not.

Resolving something like an early Geddon, post-Chant is pretty damn good against most combo decks. Terravore is an awesome clock, with or w/o Werebears.

Also, this might be a bit of a nitpick since it really doesn't matter all too much with percentages, but you didn't mention the GAGG tournament in Geneseo, NY.

How many people attended?

Peter_Rotten
03-15-2007, 01:08 PM
54 ppl attended GAGG.

scrumdogg
03-15-2007, 03:14 PM
Thanks, you're kind of a curmudgeon, so I'm happy it went over well with you. :)

But I'm a fair curmudgeon & give credit where credit is due. :cool: I just seem to spend a lot of time shaking my cane at people & yelling at them to get off the lawn......damn kids. Looking forward to your Q&A with Legacy deck designers pre- & post-GP. You are going to be at Columbus, correct?

Volt
03-15-2007, 04:03 PM
That article is a fine example of shitty writing by a witless hack.

Okay, not really. Just wanted to change things up in here. Nice job, Bardo. Yet again.

Jaynel
03-15-2007, 07:47 PM
Note: I sent my question to Bardo way before TML. I'm not living under a rock.

Bardo
03-15-2007, 07:59 PM
But I'm a fair curmudgeon & give credit where credit is due.

Yeah, I agree. For a while I thought you were kind of a blow-hard, but I eventually realized that you are in fact fair. And that's respectable.

You are going to be at Columbus, correct?

Being in Portland and really far away, and not being into all that much $$ ATM, I dunno. I floated the idea that SCG could help defray some travel expenses, in exchange for coverage, but I don't know if they'll go for that. So maybe, but at this point, it's looking like 20/80 that I won't be attending.

That article is a fine example of shitty writing by a witless hack.

Oh man, don'cha know? Pfft.

54 ppl attended GAGG.

Hrm. I would have liked to have included it in my stats. Ah well. Where's the Top 8? Also, maybe this is off-topic, but is there any plans to post all the Day 1/2 TMLO2 lists? Doesn't Anwar have them or something?

Note: I sent my question to Bardo way before TML

'Tis true, yours was the second question I received. Maybe the third. Thanks again for asking.

Bongo
03-15-2007, 08:31 PM
Excellent article (as always)!

Nice Zoo list, my 5-color Zoo build also evolved into something similar after realizing that the gains of going rainbow do not outweigh the risks.

Additional ports from Extended and some test results would be really interesting to read. Just in case you need some ideas for next time.

Brushwagg
03-15-2007, 09:10 PM
Hrm. I would have liked to have included it in my stats. Ah well. Where's the Top 8?

They are in the DTB forum under historical top8s. The top4 Survival build is Molotov Cocktail. Probably the weirdest build of Survival you have seen.

Liked the article even though I got shafted. ;)

Peter_Rotten
03-16-2007, 12:19 PM
Hrm. I would have liked to have included it in my stats. Ah well. Where's the Top 8?

Here. (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3996) Pan down. Anwar is nice enough to keep that thread up to date.

Finn
03-16-2007, 12:26 PM
Good read, Bardo.

PR and I both seem concerned with narrowing the chasm between the European and North American metas. I'm really glad you decided to speak on that front. For my part, thanks to both Lukas Preuss and Tao, I have gotten in touch with a German fellow who may have some interesting things to say in one of my upcoming interviews.