PDA

View Full Version : Harmonic Sliver and Harmonic Sliver

Tacosnape
03-15-2007, 02:03 AM
Quick question. I recently remembered people discussing the fact that the Flanking on Sidewinder Sliver is cumulative, meaning if you have two in play, Flanking triggers twice.

This of course got my brain juicing.

Does this mean Harmonic Sliver is similarly cumulative? Meaning, if you were to play a Harmonic Sliver while another Harmonic Sliver is in play, would you be able to destroy two target artifacts or enchantments, since the Harmonic Sliver would have the ability twice?

Maverick676
03-15-2007, 02:13 AM
Yes, you would.

Tacosnape
03-15-2007, 02:52 AM
Yes, you would.

(Bounces around the room happily and gives Maverick676 a burrito.)

Much appreciated.

Pinder
03-15-2007, 06:21 AM
(Bounces around the room happily and gives Maverick676 a burrito.)

Aww, man, I wanted that burrito. Oh well. Another thing about Harmonic, though:

If you play Harmonic under a Plague naming slivers (and you don't have any toughness-boosting slivers), it will still trigger, allowing you to kill the Plague even if it dies.

This does not, however, work underneath Humility. I hate Humility.

It should also be noted that Slivers with activated abilities (Necrotic, Victual, Hibernation, etc.) dodge Needle like pros. This is because, rather than having an ability which sac/bounces/whatever other slivers, it actually grants the ability to each other sliver. So unless they have a Needle to name every sliver you have in play, chances are that you can still use whatever ability you might need.

Tacosnape
03-15-2007, 12:42 PM
It should also be noted that Slivers with activated abilities (Necrotic, Victual, Hibernation, etc.) dodge Needle like pros. This is because, rather than having an ability which sac/bounces/whatever other slivers, it actually grants the ability to each other sliver. So unless they have a Needle to name every sliver you have in play, chances are that you can still use whatever ability you might need.

Heh, nod, I did know that. I learned it playing a friend's sliver deck against a UW Aggro-Control deck maindecking needles.

I'm actually working on yet another Survival build (GWB) and am contemplating the Harmonics for the sideboard.

Pinder
03-15-2007, 02:16 PM
I'm actually working on yet another Survival build (GWB) and am contemplating the Harmonics for the sideboard.

Hmmm...the fact that the artifact or enchantment destruction isn't optional means that you have to be wary, though, or you'll end up nuking your own survival. Other than that, though, Harmonic is sort of like an uber-sex monkey that happens to turn into an absolute beater against MeatHooks.

Of course, keep in mind that if you drop a Harmonic against us, every sliver we drop is aimed straight at your Survival :P

Tacosnape
03-16-2007, 02:19 AM
Hmmm...the fact that the artifact or enchantment destruction isn't optional means that you have to be wary, though, or you'll end up nuking your own survival. Other than that, though, Harmonic is sort of like an uber-sex monkey that happens to turn into an absolute beater against MeatHooks.

Of course, keep in mind that if you drop a Harmonic against us, every sliver we drop is aimed straight at your Survival :P

Interesting point, but the Harmonics live in board and I can't imagine ever bringing them in against anything packing a sliver or anything with insufficient targets.

Still, correct me if I'm wrong, but if I had two Harmonic Slivers in play and dropped a third, whilst I had Survival in play and my opponent had something annoying, say, Moat, could I not aim all three triggers at the Moat, effectively keeping my Survival safe?

parallax
03-16-2007, 03:03 AM
Yes, you could have multiple triggers target the same enchantment, saving your Survival (until you play another sliver).

Pinder
03-16-2007, 01:04 PM
Yeah. You only have to kill your Survival if it's the only artifact or enchantment in play. So you should be safe, methinks.

Cait_Sith
03-16-2007, 01:06 PM
could I not aim all three triggers at the Moat

The target is declared when the ability goes on the stack. Since none of the abilities resolve until you declare targets for all 3 abilities the Moat is a legal target for each. Then two are countered for lack of a target, but you don't lose Survival.