PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Want Anusien to Write About Next?

Anusien
03-15-2007, 01:40 PM
I have some ideas for my next article, including explorations on good board control or aggro-board control decks in Legacy (stuff like Aggro Loam, GW Aggro, GWB) as well as some stuff that's being developed on the side like combo-control (good and bad approaches), Ichorid, and even possibly Aluren. (As an aside, Toad has done some phenomenal stuff on Aluren and I'm trying to convince him to either put it into a full-fledged article or just to release it as-is).

I can also do all kinds of things like Question and Answer, thoughts on the Banned List, matchup analysis, anything. If I get two or even three smaller topics I could combine them.

Is there anything in particular you want me to write about?

Cait_Sith
03-15-2007, 01:42 PM
We need more props to Enchantress. Aside from that lets go for Friggorid.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
03-15-2007, 01:44 PM
I think you should write about David Gearhart.

Phantom
03-15-2007, 01:57 PM
I really liked the interview of Jarno Porkka, but what I would like to see is like a questionnaire generated and given to like the top ten (or any number) deck designers/players to get some differing opinions on the same questions. Not sure if this is even possible.

Slay
03-15-2007, 01:59 PM
Anything besides generic aggro-control or board control. Seriously, it's one trick and you're a pony.
http://www.tdtffc.com/misc/slay.gif

Zach Tartell
03-15-2007, 02:02 PM
Enchantress.

Bardo
03-15-2007, 02:13 PM
I would like to see is like a questionnaire generated and given to like the top ten (or any number) deck designers/players to get some differing opinions on the same questions. Not sure if this is even possible.

That's my pre-GP May article (with a post-GP follow-up of the same style of June). I already have the questions and respondents mapped out (though not the June questions, just people).

I got the idea from this Flores article, so I can't claim any stunning creativity on this front: http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/12995.html

It sucks to let the proverbial cat out of the bag, but I don't want my article to get trumped. I started putting it together on 2/22.

Firebrothers
03-15-2007, 02:35 PM
How about interviewing a pro that likes to play legacy, I think that if a pro player endorses this format some type 2 players may begin dabbling in this format as well.

Phantom
03-15-2007, 04:20 PM
That's my pre-GP May article (with a post-GP follow-up of the same style of June). I already have the questions and repondents mapped out (though not the June questions, just people).

I got the idea from this Flores article, so I can't claim any stunning creativity on this front: http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/12995.html

It sucks to let the proverbial cat out of the bag, but I don't want my article to get trumped. I started putting it together on 2/22.

Well shit man, I'm sorry.

I guess I would like to see an article on TES (since it seems to be the big new thing, and a lot of people don't understand how it works or its weaknesses). Not so much how to play it, since there's a pretty good primer up, but it's effect on the meta (specifically for GP:Columbus) and how this would affect what decks and cards to play. And also how to tweak any given deck to beat it.

Anusien
03-15-2007, 06:23 PM
You're focused on Legacy deck designers, right?

How about interviewing a pro that likes to play legacy, I think that if a pro player endorses this format some type 2 players may begin dabbling in this format as well.
This is a compelling idea, and I've started investigating this.

Bardo
03-15-2007, 06:24 PM
You're focused on Legacy deck designers, right?

Actually, tournament players, though some do design on the side.

This is a compelling idea, and I've started investigating this.

Dibs on the PChapin. I've been hounding that guy for ages. :)

Bryant Cook
03-15-2007, 07:12 PM
Well shit man, I'm sorry.

I guess I would like to see an article on TES (since it seems to be the big new thing, and a lot of people don't understand how it works or its weaknesses). Not so much how to play it, since there's a pretty good primer up, but it's effect on the meta (specifically for GP:Columbus) and how this would affect what decks and cards to play. And also how to tweak any given deck to beat it.

What he said. :-p

calosso
03-15-2007, 07:28 PM
Talk about how amazing goblins is, and how it beats everything.

Aggro_zombies
03-15-2007, 07:33 PM
I'm rather interested in the GW aggro idea. Actually, green/white decks in general, since there aren't any dedicated green/white decks in the format that I can think of (and no, G/W/x doesn't count). I'd be especially interested to see a viable Confinement Slide build, I've screwing with that deck on and of for, like, ever.

Bongo
03-15-2007, 08:39 PM
As you have probably looked at more Legacy decklists than any other human being, I'd really like to see a Phil Stanton-style statistical breakdown of Legacy.

Bi-monthly or quarterly metagame analyses would be awesome.

Watcher487
03-15-2007, 08:41 PM
As you have probably looked at more Legacy decklists than any other human being, I'd really like to see a Phil Stanton-style statistical breakdown of Legacy.

I second this! QFT'd

Anusien
03-15-2007, 08:42 PM

I actually did this once and it was a reasonable failure. #1) It's hard to get full Top 8 lists. #2) There aren't a significant number of events. Specifically, it's unlikely that there are a sufficiently high enough number of events such that this style of analysis is going to tell you anything you can't figure out just by looking at them. #3) Not only will this not be an accurate predictor of the GP Columbus metagame, but it's not a likely predictor of any tournament.

Zach Tartell
03-15-2007, 08:51 PM
still, it'd be nice to have a legacy article to read now and then.

Bongo
03-15-2007, 10:40 PM
I actually did this once and it was a reasonable failure. #1) It's hard to get full Top 8 lists. #2) There aren't a significant number of events. Specifically, it's unlikely that there are a sufficiently high enough number of events such that this style of analysis is going to tell you anything you can't figure out just by looking at them. #3) Not only will this not be an accurate predictor of the GP Columbus metagame, but it's not a likely predictor of any tournament.

Well actually I liked that article.

1. Morphling.de and germagic.de have quite a few decklists to work with. I'm pretty sure that you as the Legacy PR guy will get flooded with lists if you ask nicely.

2. Depends on what you define as significant. If you define your cut-off rate at 20 players, you should get a fairly decent amount of data.
And as far as I know, there have been quite a few important events since October 2005, so there should be enough stuff to work with.

3. Why? If done properly, this will be a very useful tool to dissect metagames. The old Dr.Sylvan breakdowns were some of the most useful articles in T1.

Bardo
03-15-2007, 11:26 PM

As much as we all, and especially me, would love to do this, Anusien is totally right. There aren't enough events to do this kind of analysis at this point. I tried to do this in this thing (http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/13200.html) which was fine and all, but you really need (ideally) 8-10 respectable tourneys per quarter, and we're not exactly there, FYI.

herbig
03-16-2007, 12:55 AM
A one on one, no holds barred interview with Mike Herbig. Ask him what decks will flourish while the US is given a two year reprieve from his dominance, and how the Philippine meta game will possibly adapt. Where is he from? How did he get so good? Does he really have a twin or is that whole thing just a hoax? Really give it to him.