PDA

View Full Version : Forcemage Advocate and Forcemage Advocate

iOWN
03-16-2007, 09:42 PM
Edit: deleted everything.

3eowulf
03-16-2007, 09:48 PM
Please, do not respond to this thread as questions of the DCI test are not to be disclosed publicly.

Also, if any moderator could cancel this thread for the same reason...

iOWN
03-16-2007, 09:57 PM
Please, do not respond to this thread as questions of the DCI test are not to be disclosed publicly.

Also, if any moderator could cancel this thread for the same reason...

Shit, sorry. Deleted everything... is there any way for me to use a hypothetical situation to help me understand?

Cait_Sith
03-16-2007, 10:00 PM
I know your question and I have your answer:

From Saturday School #1 by Rune Horvik, Saturday, October 26, 2002:

Q: Another friend of mine joined a M:TG tournament and he learned that you use two abilities in a price of one. For example, he has two Forcemage Advocates in play. He said that it is possible to activate both of their abilities by returning only one card in a graveyard to its owner's hand. And again the stack is his reason. My reason for not believing this is this: you activate the first Forcemage Advocate's ability by choosing an opponent's card in his/her graveyard and returning it to owners hand and if you respond before doing so and use the second Forcemage Advocate's ability to target the same card then it will make the effect of the first Forcemage Advocate illegal or fizzle because of the response. Am I right or wrong?
--Ted Tayona, Philippines

A: Spells and abilities that have no legal targets on resolution are countered (formerly "fizzled"), but if at least one target is legal, the spell or ability will resolve as normal against those targets.

Forcemage Advocate has two targets, the card in the graveyard, and the creature that gets a counter. If you have more than one Advocate, you can choose the same targets for each of them. The creature will get a counter even if the targeted card isn't in the graveyard anymore when the ability resolves, as long as the other target (the creature) is legal.

See the Comprehensive Rulebook 413.2a.

iOWN
03-16-2007, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the answer; that's a really helpful rule to know. :P

I suppose it would be best to edit that post out, though.

Cait_Sith
03-16-2007, 10:05 PM
Just edit your question to ask the question the kid just asked. Leave no mentioned of DCI anything.