PDA

View Full Version : I have $150 to burn on ebay

mikekelley
03-17-2007, 10:22 AM
Sitting in my paypal acct, I don't know what to do with it. I don't know if I want to start making another deck, I already have a bunch. I don't want to invest in type 2 duals, they are about to rotate. Any ideas? I have playsets of tropical islands and volcanic islands, faerie stompy, ugr thresh, vial gobs, and some type 2 decks that don't matter because i hate that format.

basically, i'm looking for ideas on where to spend this. :mad:

Slay
03-17-2007, 10:26 AM
crack cocaine
-Slay

mikekelley
03-17-2007, 10:26 AM
great idea

URABAHN
03-17-2007, 10:56 AM
How about you put the funds into your bank account and save it.

Windux
03-17-2007, 10:56 AM
Buy just stuff from me :)
You can't build a whole deck on this way, but I'll be gain 150$, which sounds fair to me :P

For real: Just look for cheap auctions to gain more money or if you really want to have another deck, just look what do you like to play.

mikekelley
03-17-2007, 10:59 AM

because the money came from selling other cards i don't use (GASP!), with the intent of buying more cards. if i needed the money, i would have saved it. i knew this reply would come, it was just a question of when.

now that that is out of the way...

TorpidNinja
03-17-2007, 11:03 AM
You beat me to it. People need to start fucking saving again.

Magic cards are not a good store of value.

Eldariel
03-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Get a playset of UG Seas and as many Tundras as you can manage after that. Those should retain their value and be useful for deckbuilding.

Cavius The Great
03-17-2007, 12:46 PM
Buy a couple Tabernacles. Those things are so scarce.

xsockmonkeyx
03-17-2007, 02:27 PM
Buy blue dual lands. A revised Underground Sea/Tundra is a much better investment than the 25 US Dollars sitting in your pocket.

cdr
03-17-2007, 03:31 PM
I'd disagree that MTG cards are necessarily not a good store of value. The five-year value of my collection has probably at least tripled.

Of course, no one has any clue how things will go in the future. If they say they do, they're liars.

A dual is a heck of a lot more fun than $25 in the bank, anyway.

Jaynel
03-17-2007, 05:46 PM
Sea Drakes, U/x duals, U/x fetchlands?

TorpidNinja
03-17-2007, 05:55 PM
I'd disagree that MTG cards are necessarily not a good store of value. The five-year value of my collection has probably at least tripled.

Of course, no one has any clue how things will go in the future. If they say they do, they're liars.

A dual is a heck of a lot more fun than $25 in the bank, anyway.
Granted, I mean, technically nothing is necessarily a good store of value. It's entirely possible that the US goverment could suffer a more epic disaster than any before and the currency in your pocket becomes worthless. However, I think the odds of that happening compared to the odds of someone losing interest in a hobby are slightly askew.

So Mike, what to do with that errant cash? Bank it. Then practice your game, win your touneys, and trade for the stuff you really want (who knows, you might even get a better dollar value card to card.) Dual lands are much sweeter when you trade them for the cards you hate/don't need.

xsockmonkeyx
03-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Money is subject to inflation, magic cards are not. They are not printing any more dual lands anytime soon.

That doesnt mean you should go buy dual lands necessarily, but its not a bad idea IMO.

Dual lands are much sweeter when you trade them for the cards you hate/don't need.

Truth. :smile:

hi-val
03-17-2007, 06:03 PM
Conveniently, the interest rate on money in banks roughly coincides with inflation, so you don't actually lose money to inflation at all if you bank it.

Put it in the bank. Use the money to go to a tournament that would normally be out of the way for you. Use the money to pay for gas, entry, cards you might need last-minute, snacks during rounds, and then go get a really nice dinner and drinks afterwards. I'm often surprised by how much I spend attending tournaments and I use my Magic money now to attend events instead of pick up more cards. What's the fun of having decks if you aren't able to play with them?

beezy
03-17-2007, 06:52 PM
If you have extra money to burn, I would invest it in stocks, even if only $150. You can either go risky with penny stocks, do a CD for ~5.25%, or do long-term investments which should net you a 10% rate of return.

mikekelley
03-17-2007, 08:15 PM
You are all so lame.

I don't want to do anything with the money. The money is from selling other cards, to upgrade/get new cards. I want some ideas. I sold off unplayable jank to people who really wanted it, I guess. Sliver Overlords and that kind of stuff. I want to turn it into more playable stuff.

Nihil Credo
03-17-2007, 09:07 PM
Go over at SCG.com and see if they still have the "playset of the 100 best commons ever printed" or whatever it's called.

After that, some cards (worth more than a dollar) that will serve you well in many different decks:

Extra duals
Extra duals
Extra duals
Extra fetches
Extra fetches
Dark Confidant
Orim's Chant
Pernicious Deed
Exalted Angel
Cursed Scroll
Vindicate
Cabal Therapy
Duress
Armageddon
Solitary Confinement
1 Genesis
Living Wish
Burning Wish
Cunning Wish
Gaea's Blessing
Fact or Fiction
Gifts Ungiven
Chrome Mox
Survival of the Fittest
Flametongue Kavu
2-3 Decree of Justice
Humility
Eternal Dragon
Nantuko Monastery
Sundering Titan
Lion's Eye Diamond
Intuition
Mystical Tutor
Enlightened Tutor
Lotus Petal
Phyrexian Negator
Nantuko Shade
Sinkhole
Mishra's Factory
Fireblast
Grim Lavamancer
Ball Lightning
Mother of Runes
Trinisphere
Rolling Earthquake
Mox Diamond
Ensnaring Bridge
Goblin Welder
Stifle
Winter Orb
Haunting Echoes
Sphere of Resistance
Regrowth

Ninj4
03-17-2007, 10:11 PM
a playset of either tundras or Underground Sea's. can't go wrong with blue duals. if you go with tundras, use the remaining money to grab fetches.

using money to buy land now will make deckbuilding so much easier later cuz non-land cards are relatively cheap (ok, not sea drakes, but it looks like u have them already)

dahcmai
03-18-2007, 09:58 PM
I'd have to go with Underground seas. Those things seem to have no end to the price jumps. I think it's just Vintage fueling it, but hey, it's faster than a CD.

That or I have a Grim Tutor listed on Ebay right now that could suck all that $150 up in one shot! lol

kicks_422
03-19-2007, 02:47 AM
Seeing as all your decks are aggro and aggro-control, why not build TES? You can build it easily for under $200. The money cards are also good investments (Burning Wish, Chrome Mox, LED)...

Raider Bob
03-19-2007, 06:56 AM
Buy Japanese Foil Playable cards, they keep their value and are valued on ebay at about 175% more than the english version of the same spell. Japanese Goblin Welder is worth more than some Moxen.

mikekelley
03-19-2007, 08:41 AM
Seeing as all your decks are aggro and aggro-control, why not build TES? You can build it easily for under $200. The money cards are also good investments (Burning Wish, Chrome Mox, LED)...
I don't really like playing combo, i'll give it a look though. I played solidarity for about a week (1 tournament) before i realized i absolutely hated playing aginast myself.

mikekelley
03-19-2007, 08:43 AM
Buy Japanese Foil Playable cards, they keep their value and are valued on ebay at about 175% more than the english version of the same spell. Japanese Goblin Welder is worth more than some Moxen.

I want some stuff I can use though. A played english welder will do the same thing as a japanese foil one.

Although I do like my cards in good condition, I don't buy into the japanese foil hype.

Afro
03-19-2007, 08:43 AM
Magic cards are not a good store of value.

You sir are a fool. Go back to playing type 2.

DeathwingZERO
03-19-2007, 09:20 PM
I want some stuff I can use though. A played english welder will do the same thing as a japanese foil one.

Although I do like my cards in good condition, I don't buy into the japanese foil hype.

Just because you don't, doesn't mean that others don't as well. This market is not only the most volatile when jumping prices, but the price drops are not nearly as bad as their english counterparts.

As for cards that are better than what you sold, blue based ANYTHING is the way to go for Extended or Legacy. Force of Will, blue duals, blue fetches, etc.

After that, buy into Vintage stuff, because 1.5 cards in my opinion out of the off the wall decks like 43 lands (Tabernacle), Fairie Stompy (Sea Drakes), etc....they won't hold value if new decks start doing better. Gobbos, Solidarity and some variant of Thresh/NQG will always be around, so those guys are always solid picks as well.

On the flipside Mishra's Workshops, Bazaars, Mana Drains, etc....they've tripled in value over the past 3 years (6-8x their value if you want to go back as far as 5 years) and will continue to do so out of necessity for decks. Same with Power, though your not going to see much in the $150 range that's not beat to hell.

TorpidNinja
03-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Go back to playing type 2.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/alternatives

Now grow up.

mikekelley
03-26-2007, 12:37 AM
Picked up a playset of Underground Seas today.