PDA

View Full Version : [Annoucement] Grand Prix Trials For Columbus Updated on WOTC site

LandDestroyer
03-20-2007, 10:18 PM
FYI, they posted the Grand Prix Trial events for Columbus:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/grandprix/columbus07-trials

Yay, sanctioned Legacy, 24k, and 3 rounds free up for grabs. :-D

- Chris

P.S. Danville, IL runs Legacy sanctioned once a month, next one is April 15th.

AnwarA101
03-20-2007, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the info. I was kind of waiting for this. Now we'll know where to pick up some byes.

Xero
03-20-2007, 10:43 PM
The closest one is four hours away :cry: Wizard's should recongize that MN has a bigger Legacy scene than Kentucky. (90% sure this is true).

Ta Jugs
03-20-2007, 10:46 PM
There is one in Rachacha a few weeks before the GP I think.

TheAardvark
03-20-2007, 10:49 PM
REL 2? Isn't that outdated terminology? Shouldn't it be "Regular"? Or is that not in effect yet?

Yeah, the nearest Trial to here is 2 hours away, in St. Louis. Sucks. But we have monthly sanctioned Legacy tourneys here anyway, and I playtest with a couple of my freinds regularly.

Now if only I was going to Columbus...

scrumdogg
03-21-2007, 08:32 AM
Out-fucking-standing. Zero GPTs in New England. None. Nada. The closest to central MA is Neutral Ground 4 hours away, where the thieves & the poseurs roam. Or we could travel 6 hours to Rochester. Emailed WOTC customer service on their link in the thread....and it bounced, invalid email.... And the day started so promisingly....

Ewokslayer
03-21-2007, 09:09 AM
God damn it! Neutral Grounds GPT and the Dual land draft are the same day.
WTF!

Nightmare
03-21-2007, 09:12 AM
God damn it! Neutral Grounds GPT and the Dual land draft are the same day.
WTF!
Go to Neutral Ground. If all the Legacy players are in Syracuse, it's 3 easy byes for you.

scrumdogg
03-21-2007, 09:19 AM
Go to Neutral Ground. If all the Legacy players are in Syracuse, it's 3 easy byes for you.

And a chance to beat arrogant twerps like Mike Flores & Sean McKeown as a bonus. I'd rather be at Kadi's tourney, but this may the best (of limited choices) choice to attend for GPTs.

Citrus-God
03-21-2007, 09:44 AM
The closest one is four hours away :cry: Wizard's should recongize that MN has a bigger Legacy scene than Kentucky. (90% sure this is true).

WTF? Those bastards! We have such a bigger scene then they do.... And we have the MoA and Rachael Leigh Cook... Fuckers.

We're still going out there for the GPT Trials.... I mean, we do have a better chance of winning those free rounds since they obviously suck at Legacy. Most at least, I hope no decent Legacy player shows up there.

@scrumdogg: I think Mike Flores is gonna try and port GW Haterator to our format and fail due to the existence of Vial Goblins, and Sean is just gonna keep playing his awful not-quite-awesome Rock Survival.

Nightmare
03-21-2007, 09:51 AM
I'd say the two most competitive GPTs are going to be in Rochester and in Virginia (probably the one at the SCG Center). If you can make it to any of the other ones, do it.

Anusien
03-21-2007, 11:00 AM
GW Haterator is not nearly as bad as you think. Troll Worship can be a lock against a lot of decks, and you have the ability to start throwing out 3/3s and bigger; that can easily just kick Threshold or Goblins in the junk if you set the deck up properly.

Machinus
03-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Not only are there no Legacy players in Raleigh, but there isn't a single respectable Magic store either. Someone come down here and start taking my money.

Ewokslayer
03-21-2007, 11:34 AM

While that is probably true
I think playing magic with friends > playing in a GPT.
Besides I can always win my byes the day before the GP when they give out 4 byes instead of a crappy one.

Mulletus
03-21-2007, 12:47 PM
I don't know, 3 byes sounds better than winning dual lands I already have. I need to start practicing for these events with some of the deck changes I have made. If I dont get the 3-byes at the GPT, I might get the points I need for a second one from ratings points.

Xero
03-21-2007, 01:32 PM
[QUOTE=Anti~American4621;118176]WTF? Those bastards! We have such a bigger scene then they do.... And we have the MoA and Rachael Leigh Cook... Fuckers.

We're still going out there for the GPT Trials.... I mean, we do have a better chance of winning those free rounds since they obviously suck at Legacy. Most at least, I hope no decent Legacy player shows up there.
QUOTE]

Madison is the one that's four hours away. The others are longer (I guess Chicago is about 6.5 hours :rolleyes: )

AnwarA101
03-21-2007, 02:42 PM
I'd say the two most competitive GPTs are going to be in Rochester and in Virginia (probably the one at the SCG Center). If you can make it to any of the other ones, do it.

Actually Richmond, VA and Rockville, MD (Southern Maryland) are closer than Roanoke,VA which is where SCG Center is. If you are wondering where we will probably be.

Di
03-21-2007, 02:49 PM

In theory wouldn't you want to go to the least competitive of the events? The shittier the competition, the better chance you have at winning. Then again, at the last GPT in Rochester, Syracuse completely stormed the place. Too bad I got robbed with 9th, despite one of the top8 contenders dropping before the top8 started.

Nightmare
03-21-2007, 03:00 PM
In theory wouldn't you want to go to the least competitive of the events? The shittier the competition, the better chance you have at winning. Then again, at the last GPT in Rochester, Syracuse completely stormed the place. Too bad I got robbed with 9th, despite one of the top8 contenders dropping before the top8 started.Yes, hence why I said if you can make it to any of the others you should. As opposed to coming to these. If I could justify driving to some hole-in-the-wall GPT in bumfuck midwest, I'd do it.

herbig
03-21-2007, 04:13 PM
Rochester's is two days before I leave...

lame

clavio
03-21-2007, 06:01 PM
I'm riding Amtrack to the NYC one. Anyone else going to that one? I'm bringing my brother too. It'll be his first "real" tournament.

wmagzoo7
03-21-2007, 08:44 PM
Woot Woot Legacy tourney at my local store. More motivation to build red death a lot faster so that I can play it and win me a trial.

cdr
03-23-2007, 08:10 PM
Millennium might do something special for the Rochester trial, possibly involving duals.

revenge_inc
03-24-2007, 01:32 AM
To all you upstate NY people:

If you are that keen about commuting to GPT's where the competition is less intense, I suggest driving to the Montreal GPT on Easter weekend.

The Montreal Legacy scene is weak. 6 to 10 players at monthly tournaments is not a sign of a healthy Legacy community.

The drive is probably under 4 and a half hours from Syracuse.

...and come to think of it, Toronto as well is closer than the midwest.

freakish777
03-24-2007, 01:48 AM
I would be, I just don't have a car...

Di
03-24-2007, 02:06 AM

If you are that keen about commuting to GPT's where the competition is less intense, I suggest driving to the Montreal GPT on Easter weekend.

The Montreal Legacy scene is weak. 6 to 10 players at monthly tournaments is not a sign of a healthy Legacy community.

That sounds like a really good idea. Syracuse men, if you guys end up wanting to go to another GPT other than Rochester, this would be a pretty good one to look at. I myself would love to attend, but cannot as I am unable to leave the county, let alone the country.

Yeah....

Watcher487
03-24-2007, 08:20 AM

Problem being is how many people actually have passports? It's too big of a pain in the ass to enter and leave this country let alone going from ie. Albany to Pittsburgh

revenge_inc
03-24-2007, 11:58 AM
I would be, I just don't have a car...

Ya, I know how much it sucks because I don't have one either.

Problem being is how many people actually have passports? It's too big of a pain in the ass to enter and leave this country let alone going from ie. Albany to Pittsburgh

Passports are not required for travel between the US and Cananda (by land or boat-they will be on January 1st 2008). Recommended, but not required. They are required ony for air travel.

Citrus-God
03-24-2007, 03:46 PM
GW Haterator is not nearly as bad as you think. Troll Worship can be a lock against a lot of decks, and you have the ability to start throwing out 3/3s and bigger; that can easily just kick Threshold or Goblins in the junk if you set the deck up properly.

It really depends, IMO. In a format with FoW and Daze being played, I think it's better if the deck splashes Black for Discard and Deed. Of course this will turn into The Rock, but it gives it such a good edge against so many decks if it does. I know a guy who did that before I heard of Haterator, and he had lot's of success, but the problem is trying to get one of his creatures to go all the way against a deck like Goblins.... or he could just sit back until he topdecks a Deed, detonate it, regenerate all his creatures with Hierarch, and do an alpha strike next turn.

@Xero: Well.... if we get into ICBM territory, we're gonna have to face a flurry of Pitch Long, TES, and Oath. If we go to Chicago, we have to fight through Workshop decks. I say we go to Chicago and bring Burning Slaver with us!

Well, a trip to Wisconsin isnt so bad, is it? I dunno, all I know is that we have to fight our way through ICBM...

Giles
03-24-2007, 07:07 PM
REL 2? Isn't that outdated terminology? Shouldn't it be "Regular"? Or is that not in effect yet?

If I remember correctly. It is not in effect.
I can not find the announcement, but it is somewhere.

Also, Zero on the West Coast, Damn.

frogboy
03-24-2007, 09:29 PM
And a chance to beat arrogant twerps like Mike Flores & Sean McKeown as a bonus.

Can we like, not start some retarded rivalry with the more mainstream PTQ crowd, pros, and any other large group of Magicians in general? That'd be swell.

Also, for those who care, I'd attend the D4D instead of a GPT; I don't think the EV of having three byes is greater than a top eight at a D4D, particularly since actually winning the GPT is probably harder than t8ing at a D4D. Opinion, obv, but something to consider.

Xero
03-24-2007, 11:56 PM
Xero: Well.... if we get into ICBM territory, we're gonna have to face a flurry of Pitch Long, TES, and Oath. If we go to Chicago, we have to fight through Workshop decks. I say we go to Chicago and bring Burning Slaver with us!

Well, a trip to Wisconsin isnt so bad, is it? I dunno, all I know is that we have to fight our way through ICBM...

Uh, I think we'd win in either of those fields, since none of those decks are Legacy legal. :confused: Okay, TES is.

Citrus-God
03-25-2007, 12:14 AM
Uh, I think we'd win in either of those fields, since none of those decks are Legacy legal. :confused: Okay, TES is.

In short, I'm scared of TK.... especially if he runs TES. I might have to go for something anti-combo if I do go to Wisconsin...

ForceofWill
03-25-2007, 12:18 AM
Wotc sucks.

Bardo
03-25-2007, 12:51 PM
I like how the closest GPT to Portland, Ore. is motherfucking Missouri. Missouri! Jesus...

Hell, I'd be willing to drive to Seattle. I tried to muscle the guys at The Bat Cave in The 'Couv to host one--to no avail.

Citrus-God
03-25-2007, 05:39 PM
I like how the closest GPT to Portland, Ore. is motherfucking Missouri. Missouri! Jesus...

Hell, I'd be willing to drive to Seattle. I tried to muscle the guys at The Bat Cave in The 'Couv to host one--to no avail.

Damn.... I was gonna like go to the Pala in Portland and just dance to trance all night.... damn....

Well... we have to fight through ICBM.... dammit....

cdr
03-25-2007, 06:17 PM
GPTs are deliberately "local". If you're not within reasonable driving distance of the event, you're probably not going to be getting a trial.

Kronicler
03-25-2007, 11:25 PM

For serious... where the hell are the west coast GPTs??!!? I mean sure, the Legacy scene isn't nearly as big as on the east coast, but it isn't small enough that wizards can completely ignore it! Argggggg.

Kronicler

Pinder
03-25-2007, 11:48 PM
Hell, I'd be willing to drive to Seattle.

Quoted for savage truthery. Why in the unholy hell is there not a GPT in Seattle? We have prereleases, and Standard and Extended PTQs, but no, Cascade Games couldn't possibly hold a Legacy event. That would make too much sense. Bah.

Of course, I'm going to be in Columbus the day before the GP, so I guess I could hit that one up :tongue:.

gustoh
03-26-2007, 12:14 AM
In short, I'm scared of TK.... especially if he runs TES. I might have to go for something anti-combo if I do go to Wisconsin...

SMH...

So who aren't you afraid of...?

LT...

emidln
03-26-2007, 09:32 AM

Oath's legal. It looks kinda funny, but they still Oath up a dude and then kill you. It's called Salvagers Game in Legacy though. Same basic concept of control, control, control, kill you. Pitch Long is also fairly playable in the form of Pitch/Chant Iggy Pop. As far as workshop decks, we don't have shops, but we have more on-color moxen, more lands that make multiple mana, and access to 4 Trinispheres. Our lands also let us cast non-artifact spells. You can play that archetype in legacy too.

Citrus-God
03-26-2007, 10:00 AM
Oath's legal. It looks kinda funny, but they still Oath up a dude and then kill you. It's called Salvagers Game in Legacy though. Same basic concept of control, control, control, kill you. Pitch Long is also fairly playable in the form of Pitch/Chant Iggy Pop. As far as workshop decks, we don't have shops, but we have more on-color moxen, more lands that make multiple mana, and access to 4 Trinispheres. Our lands also let us cast non-artifact spells. You can play that archetype in legacy too.

Closest things we have to Workshop decks are Junk Pile, Angel Stax, Sun Tower, 5/3 variants, and perhaps Faerie Stompy. But yes, they're very color oriented.

As for Pitch Long, I guess IGGy Pop is the clostest thing there I suppose. It does have Orim's Chant to win the Combo mirror.

Oath is just.... Oath, but with Gamekeep instead...

laststepdown
03-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Yes, hence why I said if you can make it to any of the others you should. As opposed to coming to these. If I could justify driving to some hole-in-the-wall GPT in bumfuck midwest, I'd do it.

Yes, WoTC gives me GPTs down the street from my house.

But I am NOT a 'bumfuck'.

Mulletus
04-01-2007, 08:20 PM
There's a few trials next weekend. I want to go to the one in PA, but I'm hoping thers' a typo. Its says it's monday the 9th, when all the others are saturday the 7th. I'll have to call them and ask.

Giles
04-01-2007, 09:53 PM
Why in the unholy hell is there not a GPT in Seattle?
Because here in seattle we are more "Type 2" people.

We have prereleases, and Standard and Extended PTQs, but no, Cascade Games couldn't possibly hold a Legacy event. That would make too much sense. Bah.

It is against Cascade Games' policy to allow Vintage or Legacy to be played. They will even kick you out.

insertnamehere
04-01-2007, 10:56 PM
If anyone from Western MA is looking on pitching in on a van to go to Columbus Team Necro is looking for a few good people.

PM me

Mulletus
04-02-2007, 02:27 PM
I contacted the shop in PA, the event is on the 29th not the 9th. They said they are trying to change the posting on WotC's site.

Arsenal_Fan
04-02-2007, 03:36 PM
@ Mulletus Is the Pittsburgh Legacy on April 29th because I thought it was May 5th? Any info you have would be helpful.

revenge_inc
04-02-2007, 04:20 PM
@ Mulletus Is the Pittsburgh Legacy on April 29th because I thought it was May 5th? Any info you have would be helpful.

He was talking of the event near Philly (Blue Bell). It was originally posted on the WOTC site with the wrong date. It has been fixed. The Pittsburg event was and still is listed as being on May 5th.

So the only events this weekend are in Montreal or Nashville. I am still unsure wether I'll get a ride to the Montreal event, my chances are 50/50 at this point. Any other Sourcers going to Montreal for the trial this Saturday?

If it convinces anybody of going, the drinking age there is 18...and what is better than playing Magic and getting hammered?

cdr
04-12-2007, 08:18 PM
I should've gotten around to this awhile ago, but here's a map (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&z=6&om=1&msid=100724284207836400696.00000111e8190ea251936&msa=0) of the GPTs.

When you look at the map, it's obvious how badly the NE got screwed.

The information is from the GPT page, so some could be off. There's a few events at the bottom of the list out of order because they weren't on wizards.com.

Citrus-God
04-12-2007, 09:10 PM
SMH...

So who aren't you afraid of...?

LT...

Not afraid of Jeremy Zwirn....

soltari
04-27-2007, 09:44 AM
Did everyone see they are using grinders instead of 1 tournament for byes on the day before the grand prix?
Friday - May 18

4:00 PM -

8:00 PM

Grand Prix Columbus Trial

This is a special format GP Trial. We will run GP Columbus Trials in flights of 32 players. Once we have 32-players, we will start a new 32-player GPT flight. All flights are single-elimination and the winner of the flight will receive a 3rd-round Bye to GP Columbus. GPT flights will start at 4:00 PM and a new event will start every time we have 32-players. The last GPT will begin at approximately 8:00 PM.

$20.00............grinders, but at least they should be done before 5am:smile:

Finn
04-27-2007, 10:07 AM
When you look at the map, it's obvious how badly the NE got screwed.Screwed compared to whom? You guys get so many tournaments the organizers have had to reschedule due to more than one on the same day.

cdr
04-27-2007, 10:53 PM
Screwed compared to the areas west and south. GPTs only occur in general area of the GP - Florida is a little far.