PDA

View Full Version : [Article] See Jack Expound - Interview with IBA

Nightmare
03-22-2007, 08:52 AM
http://mtgsalvation.com/569-what-next-see-jack-expound.html

Machinus
03-22-2007, 10:03 AM
You are the designer of a number of successful decks in this format including Rabid Wombat, Train Wreck, and Truffle Shuffle.

Ewokslayer
03-22-2007, 10:36 AM
I thought the article was pretty good, well except for the Rabid Wombat list that looked like a pile of vomit.
BTW. Where the hell is the Thursday SCG article?

AnwarA101
03-22-2007, 10:38 AM
Where the hell is the Thursday SCG article?

Yeah, I was looking for that too, but apparently its not up.

calosso
03-22-2007, 11:00 AM
I'm very disappointed that it was not there.

Peter_Rotten
03-22-2007, 12:06 PM
I'm very disappointed that it was not there.

I'm glad that you can be so positive.

Cait_Sith
03-22-2007, 12:10 PM
Also, of all three decks, Truffle Shuffle is the one that most rarely has any trouble finishing rounds within time.

O RLY?

Also, all three of those lists are outdated to a different degree. That or Jack has been busy.

Xero
03-22-2007, 12:23 PM
I liked it, except MWC without Swords is wrong. I'm also wondering where the fuck my SCG article is. I blame Anusien, becuase he's conveniant.

Bardo
03-22-2007, 01:05 PM
I liked it, except MWC without Swords is wrong. I'm also wondering where the fuck my SCG article is. I blame Anusien, becuase he's conveniant.

Doug's going to have to own up to that, not Kevin, or anyone else for that matter. It's a fine piece, but it was submitted to SCG after the deadline.

Peter_Rotten
03-22-2007, 01:14 PM
Great line:

Jack Elgin and his legendary table-jumping abilities are currently in hiatus from sanctioned tournament play...

hi-val
03-22-2007, 01:36 PM
Doug's going to have to own up to that, not Kevin, or anyone else for that matter. It's a fine piece, but it was submitted to SCG after the deadline.

Yes, to put it succinctly, it was submitted after the deadline. Hopefully it will be up tomorrow!

But blaming Anusien is a playable strategy, he's previously been blamed for New Coke and Northern Ireland.

Di
03-22-2007, 01:54 PM
You are the designer of a number of successful decks in this format including Rabid Wombat, Train Wreck, and Truffle Shuffle.

http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/large/lol-43295.jpg

I still love you Jack either way.

Anusien
03-22-2007, 02:27 PM
Yes, to put it succinctly, it was submitted after the deadline. Hopefully it will be up tomorrow!

But blaming Anusien is a playable strategy, he's previously been blamed for New Coke and Northern Ireland.
Northern Ireland? How the fuck is that my fault?

(New Coke was an experiment with splashing colors into 5/3. It didn't go so well, but 5/3 with Red, aka Cherry Coke, is proving quite successful even if we keep changing the labelling).

freakish777
03-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Northern Ireland? How the fuck is that my fault?

Binswanger Deck Wins (Pyroclasm.dec) has such a good match against Goblins that Northern Irish terrorists decided to revolt.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
03-22-2007, 03:58 PM
I still love you Jack either way.

You're just lucky you're not underage anymore.

Cait_Sith
03-22-2007, 04:03 PM

Ummm, does this means Jack is a manly swinger? I find smart, manly, assertive people to have a certain appeal. A very *special* appeal.

Bardo
03-22-2007, 04:04 PM

In that case, don't you mean you're the lucky one. The slammer does not take kindly to pedarasts.

Okay, I just read the IBA/Finn article and liked it a lot. Well done.

I did notice one factual error:

Goblin Lackey is one of the most conspicuous cards in the format, so I won’t talk about him too much. Most decks have answers to him. Threshold alone has twelve answers on the play, and will almost never get hit.

Pre-board, Threshold has a 20-24 answers to a turn-1 Lackey on the play (StP, FoW, Daze, Mongoose, Werebear and maybe Meddling Mage, if they're ran). Though a turn 2 unthreshed Werebear is most definitely not the hotness, unless you're holding a counter for their first goblin and a Note or a Stifle (for the Incinerator trigger) or something. Pre-board, on the draw, Threshold has 12 answers to a turn-1 Lackey and 16 or so post-board.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
03-22-2007, 07:24 PM
I meant on the Goblin player's play.

etrigan
03-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Control tends to be a job for the player archetype I like to label Dave, the Jerk Opponent.

But Gearhart doesn't play control.

Slay
03-23-2007, 07:13 PM

Yeah, he's a Goblins player through and through.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
03-23-2007, 07:49 PM

Actually, most of his decks are control. And I'm including Solidarity in there. It pretends to be combo, but true combo is self-focused, whereas Solidarity is designed to respond to the opponent and kill their last joy in life.

Yeah, I'm not happy with those lists, now that I think about it. I should've given ones that sucked less. Not that I miss StPs in Wombat.