PDA

View Full Version : Dark Confidant & Split Cards

Reverend Damaged
03-24-2007, 10:59 AM
I have a Dark Confidant in play and I reveal the top card of my library. The card is Assault/Battery (obviously this never really happened :-)). Do I choose which card to lose the life from? Do I lose life for both sides of the card? How does this work?

I did a search on here and couldn't find anything to do with Dark Confidant & Split Cards, so I thought I'd ask.

Joe_C
03-24-2007, 11:55 AM
you would lose life equal to the total converted mana cost for the card. In example, revealing fire/ice would cause you to lose 4 life

Pinder
03-24-2007, 01:00 PM
Two more questions regarding split cards:

If I've got a Magnivore and, say, Boom/Bust in the yard, does it see it as two sorceries or just one for P/T purposes? I'm fairly sure it's just one, but I figured I'd check just to make sure.

Also, when you serach your library for something with a specific casting cost (like for Transmute, etc.), do you look at the combined mana cost when searching or can you grab it if either half matches?

cdr
03-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Split cards are really easy to understand once you know the trick:

505.5 An effect that asks for a particular characteristic of a split card while it's in a zone other than the stack gets two answers (one for each of the split card's two halves).

Dark Confidant's effect gets two answers for Assault/Battery's converted mana cost - 1 and 4. You lose 1 life and 4 life.

An effect like transmute or Counterbalance gets two answers, so either half can match.

Also,

505.4 Although split cards have two playable halves, each split card is only one card.

Pinder
03-24-2007, 02:51 PM
505.4 Although split cards have two playable halves, each split card is only one card.

:frown:

The transmute thing is good to know, though. Thanks!