PDA

View Full Version : Trinisphere and Chalice

Pinder
03-31-2007, 10:47 PM
So, I was playing a game where my opponent had a 3sphere in play and a Chalice set at 2. My question is this:

Does the cost increase from Trinisphere make a spell actually cost 3, or does it just make you pay extra? I'm basically asking if Chalice at 2 will counter a 2 drop under Trinisphere.

I think it does, but I have as of yet been unable to find a definitive answer.

Kadaj
03-31-2007, 11:03 PM
Trinisphere does not change CMC. Chalice still counters the spell.

xsockmonkeyx
04-01-2007, 12:02 AM
Well, like I said. Trinisphere makes the Rotting Giant cost 3 mana. You pay the 3 mana to pay for it's costs, the card goes on the stack. The Chalice checks the Warrior for it CMC, the total converted cost printed on the card, and the warrior is countered by the chalice @ 2. Amiright?

MattH
04-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Well, like I said. Trinisphere makes the Rotting Giant cost 3 mana. You pay the 3 mana to pay for it's costs, the card goes on the stack. The Chalice checks the Warrior for it CMC, the total converted cost printed on the card, and the warrior is countered by the chalice @ 2. Amiright?

Yes. The only thing that ever changes a card's converted mana cost are copy effects such as Clone or Volrath's Shapeshifter.

Pinder
04-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Okay, so for things like Kicker and X it counts as a part of the mana cost, but if an external factor (Trinisphere, Sphere of Resistance, etc.) makes something cost more, it's not actually changing the mana cost, so it still gets countered. This is what I figured, I just wanted to make sure.

Cait_Sith
04-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Okay, so for things like Kicker and X it counts as a part of the mana cost, but if an external factor (Trinisphere, Sphere of Resistance, etc.) makes something cost more, it's not actually changing the mana cost, so it still gets countered. This is what I figured, I just wanted to make sure.

X does affect CMC, but Kicker does not. Faerie Squadron, even when kicked, has CMC 0.

John Carter: "The value of X while on the stack is the only time you'll see a mana cost that varies."

MattH
04-01-2007, 06:07 PM
Note: Kicker & co. DO count for "how much mana was used to play the spell" (i.e. Trinisphere) but NOT for converted mana cost (Chalice).