PDA

View Full Version : Foreign WHITE-bordered 4th Edition?

URABAHN
04-01-2007, 11:10 AM
I remember Obfuscate Freely won White Bordered German Tundras at one of Kadilak's Tournaments. Now I find out there's lots of Foreign WB 4th Edition (http://www.magiclibrary.net/sets-fourth-edition.html). My memory on Renaissance, 4th Edition, and Foreign Beta is quite fuzzy, could someone tell me the difference between all these weird versions of 4th Edition and, more importantly, which ones had Dual Lands?

iOWN
04-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Dual Lands: Alpha, Beta, Unlimited, Revised

Fourth and beyond didn't contain any duals. Renaissance came out around the same time or after 4th Ed. did, and I think was black-bordered (?).

Edit: 4th Edition has the date at the bottom, so you can tell it apart from Revised pretty easily. I'm not clear on the differences between BB-4th and Renaissance either, though. :/

Edit again: Wait, wasn't Renaissance just black-bordered foreign 4th?

Silverdragon
04-01-2007, 12:03 PM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/af159

Aaron Forsythe talks about Renaissance and bordercolors in general throughout the history of Magic in this article.
Concerning the Duals I have no idea how they could have been white bordered and german because the first set in german was Revised (3rd Edition) and it had black borders.

Morte
04-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Dual Lands: Alpha, Beta, Unlimited, Revised

Fourth and beyond didn't contain any duals. Renaissance came out around the same time or after 4th Ed. did, and I think was black-bordered (?).

Edit: 4th Edition has the date at the bottom, so you can tell it apart from Revised pretty easily. I'm not clear on the differences between BB-4th and Renaissance either, though. :/

Edit again: Wait, wasn't Renaissance just black-bordered foreign 4th?

Nope. Renaissance was a foreign only edition of Chronicles, but without the cards from sets already printed for those specific languages.

For example, italian Renaissance (called "Rinascimento") contained Chronicles cards from Antiquities and Arabian Nights. It didn't contain Chronicles cards from Legends or The Dark, because those sets were already been printed in Italian.

All Renaissance cards are black bordered, and they also have the expansion symbol (but printed in an odd, blurry way, not to be confused with the original sets).

Until 9th Edition, the first (and only the first) edition of the Base Set printed in a foreign country was black bordered.
In Italy, Germany and France the first edition printed was Revised, so there are Italian, German and French BB duals (and Forks, Sol Rings, Serendib Efreets etc.)
Italian, German and French 4th Edition (and above) are all white bordered. Japanese 4th Edition is BB, for example.

Hope may help.

emidln
04-01-2007, 12:15 PM
I believe there were both "limited" and "unlimited" edition printings of euro-language Revised. I have several white-bordered French dual lands and have seen similar duals in German and I think I've seen some in Italian. The editions were first printed as BB to satisfy wizards' print policy, but a new print run was ordered shortly thereafter with WB cards of the same set.

Morte
04-01-2007, 12:22 PM
I believe there were both "limited" and "unlimited" edition printings of euro-language Revised. I have several white-bordered French dual lands and have seen similar duals in German and I think I've seen some in Italian. The editions were first printed as BB to satisfy wizards' print policy, but a new print run was ordered shortly thereafter with WB cards of the same set.

Exactly.
Italian, German and French Revised have been initially printed with BB, for around 6 months. The name of these BB editions were the foreign translation of "First Edition" (for example, "Prima Edizione" in Italian).
After the limited edition print, they printed unlimited white borderd editions of Revised (until the release of 4th Edition). The name of these WB editions were the foreign translation of "Second Edition" (for example, "Seconda Edizione" in Italian).

URABAHN
04-01-2007, 01:29 PM

Is this also true for the Foreign Black-Bordered 4th Editions? Limited (BB), Unlimited (WB)?