PDA

View Full Version : 3rd at Monsterden with 43 land

SARCASTO
04-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Alright so I haven’t played any legacy for freakin’ ever, and I was trying to decide on a deck to play. I don’t really have time to test anymore so I looked for a deck to abuse either crucible of worlds or Life from the Loam, because land recursion is fun. So I take a look at 43 Land. This deck abuses life from the loam like no another, and plays tabernacle, which totally ruins a lot of decks. So I decide to play a moded 43 land with burning wish and some gambles instead of lands I don’t have.

40 land.dec

Spells:

4 Mana bond
4 Exploration
4 Burning Wish
3 Life from the loam
3 Mulch
2 Gamble

= 20

Land:
4 Taiga
3 Savannah
4 Windswept Heath
1 Wooded Foothills
3 Treetop Village
4 Mishra Factory
2 Nantuko Monastery
2 Barbarian Ring
4 Wasteland
4 Rishidan Port
3 Maze of Ith
1 Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
3 Tranquil Thicket
2 Forgotten Cave

= 40

SB:
1 Hull Breach
1 Life from the Loam
1 Regrowth
1 Wildfire
4 Pyroclasm
4 Chalice of the Void
3 Zuran Orb

There are a few things that deviate from the normal list that I will talk about.

- 1 Life from the Loam
- 2 Roar of the Wurm
- 1 Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
- 1 Maze of Ith
- 1 Nantuko Monestary

+ 4 Burning wish
+ 2 Gable

Burning Wish: This card replaced a monastery, the roars and a life. This is totally amazing and I don’t think I would have done nearly as well with the other cards. First off it is 4 more Lftl in the deck, which is the card that makes the deck run. It is also an out to random crap like confinement with hull breach, and pyroclasm to kill goblins or mages on LFTL. The wildfire is random as I did not have an Armageddon, and I figured there are a lot of annoying things with toughness 4 or less.

Gamble: These replaced the tabernacle and the maze. This was only in here because I could not obtain another tabernacle or maze and I figured it is better than crop rotation because it can find LFTL in a pinch.

Onto the Report

47 People turned out for this event and almost all of them were sporting good decks.
The fun fact of the day is that if you add up the average deck cost (figure at least 250) that is $12000 of decks…. NICE GAME.

Anyway onto the report, I am terrible with names so they all will be omitted. I also didn’t take any notes so this report is completely from my stellar memory on 3 hours of sleep.

Round 1 VS 5/3 Junk.

I am not sure what the deck is actually called, but it is a lot like 5/3 except it plays dudes like serindib and djnns.

Game 1: He mulls to 5 and I mull to 6 into a hand with double waste, port and maze of ith. I am pretty sure I can just waste lock him out so I keep. He plays a port, I waste. He plays a port, I waste. Eventually I draw life and he scoops.

Game 2: He mulls to 5, he plays a masticore turn 2, I mana bond turn 1 mulch turn 2 drop my hand which include double treetop and maze of ith. I ith his guy for a while till I draw a life and he concedes.

Round 2 VS Spring tide

Game 1: He forces first turn mana bond with a cunning wish and then plays a basic island. I contemplate just going to get something to eat instead of letting him goldfish me two games. He wins eventually without me doing much but porting his lands.

Game 2: I board in chalices, but the problem is than I give him so much time to go off that he just wishes for rebuild and I frown.

Round 3 VS goblins

Game 1: My first hand is triple mana bond double exploration and two cycle lands…. My second hand is all duals and fetches… My third hand has double mana bond and an exploration…. I lose to the usual quick gobs draw.

Game 2: Exploration into tree top. He plays lackey. I mulch and play more lands that are not maze of ith or tabernacle. He lackeys out a ringleader and plays pile driver. I pyroclasm followed by double maze of ith. I eventually burning wish for life followed by burning wish for regrowth on manabond.

Game 3: I turn one manabond and drop life, double maze of ith, port, and some man lands I think. This goes very long because he has a good draw too. I think I burning wish for pyroclasm at some point but he eventually concedes when I gamble for tabernacle and have double barbring in case he wants to try anything tricky.

Round 4 VS Enchantress

Game 1: Him, turn one wild growth on forest. Me, manabond go. He plays enchantress the next turn and another basic. I gamble for life and drop my hand which contains double port. He does not get to play spells for a long time because I double port his two lands every upkeep. Eventually I go nuts with life..

Game 2: He drops utopia vow first turn, I drop mana bond. He drops enchantress and some enchantment. I pyroclasm. He drops another enchantress and some more enchantments. I pyroclasm. He drops a silhana ledgewalker and puts ancestral mask on her…. She is an 11/11 can’t be blocked unless by flyers untargetable. I burning wish for hull breach and kill the mask. Next turn he rancor’s her and swings. I burning wish for wildfire. Next turn fire kills all his lands and his dude. Then I win.

Round 5 VS 5/3 Junk

Game 1: I think he first turn serindib efreets. I waste a couple of ancient tombs and have a burning wish and life. I exploration but don’t have anything to stop the flyer. Eventually I hit a burning wish for wildfire and do it followed by a concession.

Game 2: He keeps a sketchy hand with a lot of 2 mana lands and equipment and no colored source. He does not find a colored source and eventually I lock him under his own trinisphere.

Round 6 VS BUW thresh

So I’m the only 5-1 who cannot draw in to top 8…. Good. Luckily I get a match that is ridiculously in my favor.

Game 1: On the draw I play exploration second turn to not get dazed. He needles wasteland. I think I either mulch into loam or draw it. Eventually I burning wish for hull breach and kill his needle, then all his lands. He swings with an enforcer that he got down, but I have Maze of Ith and he concedes.

Game 2: I don’t really remember what happened; I think I got a turn one exploration followed by turn two mulch maybe. I remember at some point he forces burning wish but I port his blue source every turn. Eventually I start lifeing and he concedes with double counterbalance in hand.

TOP 8:

VS Goblins

Game 1: I think I got nuts with turn 1 bond, turn two mulch dump hand + life followed by dredgeing tabernacle next turn.

Game 2: I keep the sketchiest hand all day of tranquil thicket, forgotten caves, tabernacle, maze of ith, 2x pyroclam and manabond. He turn one lackey, and I play thicket to bait waste. He wastes and puts ringleader in play as well as another lackey. I drop tabernacle. He eventually gets out some more land and ringleaders with lackey and hits kiki jiki+ driver. I have drawn 3 explorations a life mulch and manabond, but still haven’t gotten a green source, however I do still have double pyro. I pyroclasm. He drops a bunch of goblins on the board. I pyroclasm. We sit there for a while attacking into mazo of iths and such. I eventually draw a beloved green source and start going nuts. He has vial at 5 and double siege gang in hand, but I have barbarian rings so he can’t really shoot very many things at me. Eventually I beat him up with man lands.

TOP 4:

Spring Tide:

Good… great.
Game 1: He beats me surprise!!

Game 2: He keeps a one lander with cantrips and brainstorm and stumbles on land for a turn. I turn one manabond, turn two wish for life, dump my hand. I waste two of my own lands to get thresh and beat him up with monastery and village.

Game 3: He wins by keeping a good hand. My sideboard of chalices was terrible, you can’t really mull into hate with this deck, as then you can’t execute the decks real plan before they find an answer to the hate.

After this I played out the ¾ match because the winner got bayous and the loser got sinkholes.

VS R/G survival

Game 1: I mull to 6 into turn 1 bond. I drop my hand which contains life. He has no non-basics so I can’t really do that much but dredge and build up my forces. He gets double troll, double birds, baloth and an active jitte. I have maze of ith and double monastery and barbarian ring and some man land. I am at something like 2. He equips bird, pumps it once, and then equips him other bird and swings. I maze the pumped bird and ring the other in response to pump. He thinks for a little and concedes.

Game 2: I go broke with turn 1 bond, turn 2 mulch into life. He gets an early troll but I get tabernacle and he eventually concedes when I play 11 lands in a turn.

I win 4 bayous… yay.

PROPS:
- Chris Pennock, for letting me convince him to go to the tournament by telling him he would be a pussy for not going, and then winning the whole thing. You owe me one Chris…. Well I guess you did lend me all the duals and the maze of ith… and all the man lands. So I guess were even.
- Jason for holding an awesome tourney as usual.
- Both the goblins players I faced for not having Blood Moon or Price of Progress.
- Whatever German dude made this deck originally.
- My ridiculous luck for only hitting one combo match-up… twice…

SLOPS:
- My luck in hitting the same combo deck twice.
- Me for not having another tabernacle
- Tabernacle for costing 70-100 for an English one

… If your still here, thanks for reading.

PEACE

Tacosnape
04-05-2007, 03:47 PM
Two Junk Pile matchups? In one tournament? Good lord.

Congratulations on posting another strong finish for a deck that kills you with lands in a way that's equivalent to a stick of dynamite killing somebody with the fuse.

gustoh
04-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Pat Mcgregor is my hero...

LT...

Jaynel
04-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Do you know which deck ended up taking first?

Citrus-God
04-05-2007, 05:08 PM
Two Junk Pile matchups? In one tournament? Good lord.

Congratulations on posting another strong finish for a deck that kills you with lands in a way that's equivalent to a stick of dynamite killing somebody with the fuse.

This is MN.... ancient tomb decks define the Midwest and their need to prison components. There's a reason why the midwest is known as the Workshop field in Vintage.

I was that Thresh player. The thing is, it's UGw. But yeah, it was a well played game and I was land locked like crazy Game 2. I was trying to set up Counterbalance so you cant Loam me every turn, but Monastery is there to serve me... Congratz Pat, and next time I hope not to play you....

gustoh
04-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Do you know which deck ended up taking first?

The UWB Fish deck took first

LT...

revenge_inc
04-06-2007, 01:34 AM
Nice report.

Tabernacle for costing 70-100 for an English one
I hate myself so much right now as I sold one of these a year ago for $30.