PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Afternoon Legacy in Syracuse

Nightmare
04-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Last week we held our first Legacy tournament at Comix Zone in Syracuse. We had 13 people show, including 3 players I haven't seen in ages, and 10 out of the top 25 ranked players in the area. It was an excellent showing, and I'd like to see an even better turnout in the future! Events are scheduled to start sometime between 4 and 4:30 pm, depending on how late the Sealed Deck event runs, and the entry is $5. Prizes are currently packs + Promos, but the storeowner is looking to expand his prize options with input from the players.

There is also a Sealed Deck event each week starting at 11:30 (or 12, depending) for $18, and if you play in the sealed, your Legacy entry is free!

Come on out and support the Syracuse Magic scene!
For more info on times and directions, visit www.comixzone.com

Peter_Rotten
04-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Wish I lived in Cuse. Or at least had some tournies close by. Damn, I got a good Magic Jones going and have nothing local anymore. :frown:

Nightmare
04-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Wish I lived in Cuse. Or at least had some tournies close by. Damn, I got a good Magic Jones going and have nothing local anymore. :frown:
Drive up, chump.

Peter_Rotten
04-06-2007, 01:23 PM
Drive up, chump.

I would love to come embarass your meta with the official meta-embarassing-deck-of-choice, Burning Tog, but, alas, family ruins all. Tomorrow sucks the big one for personal free time. But I should be making to it Newark.

Anyway, Cuse, support this tourney and dethrone Epic's Cuse dominance.

Michael Keller
04-06-2007, 01:27 PM
I would love to come embarass your meta with the official meta-embarassing-deck-of-choice, Burning Tog, but, alas, family ruins all. Tomorrow sucks the big one for personal free time. But I should be making to it Newark.

Anyway, Cuse, support this tourney and dethrone Epic's Cuse dominance.

We're working on that as we speak :cool:
I like all the Epic guys, so it's nothing personal...just business lol.

God, I feel like I'm actually living Return of the Jedi here.

EDIT: I'm almost 100% certain I'll be in Newark the 21st. Dual Lands sound so much hotter than Type 2 stuff.

Shriekmaw
04-06-2007, 06:27 PM
It would be nice to get all the Syracuse players that used to play magic to come and show up. I believe this to be more possible when we have other constructed events at the comix zone.

Mulletus
04-07-2007, 11:13 AM
I just hope they start getting sanctioned.

Di
04-07-2007, 02:30 PM
The last one was sanctioned, John. As far when it will go into the computer, who knows. The guys working there know how to use it, so it's just a matter of time.

God, I feel like I'm actually living Return of the Jedi here.

And as an EPIC Syndicate member, I so feel like a member of the dark side. It's awesome. I call dibs on Darth Vader.

Nightmare
04-16-2007, 11:52 AM
Saturday we had 21 people, the biggest turnout we've had for a Legacy tourney in YEARS. I hope the next two weeks off won't hurt that showing, because I want to keep this ball rolling. This weekend is the Prerelease and the Newark D4D, and then it's Kadi's D4D, so we aren't holding Legacy for either week.

umbowta
04-16-2007, 01:51 PM
WTF? Stickied? I thought this was The Source for Legacy not the source for New York only suasage fests.

Shriekmaw
04-16-2007, 02:51 PM
WTF? Stickied? I thought this was The Source for Legacy not the source for New York only suasage fests.

Your dead wrong Umbowta or whatever your name is. The players in Syracuse do care about the Legacy Metagame quite a bit. Maybe people from different areas should do the same. There is a reason why Syracuse does well at major Legacy events after all.

Di
04-16-2007, 03:10 PM

This sticky is only temporary. Is is there because the players of Syracuse recently went to a new store for events and are currently in the process of trying to build up what was only a couple months ago a dead metagame, so keeping it up here at least gives more players in the area the opportunity to see that we are starting to hold events again.

umbowta
04-16-2007, 09:13 PM
Your dead wrong Umbowta or whatever your name is. The players in Syracuse do care about the Legacy Metagame quite a bit. Maybe people from different areas should do the same. There is a reason why Syracuse does well at major Legacy events after all.I think you misunderstood me, Nick. I know Cuse, really NY as a whole, has a huge part in maintaining Legacy. I just have a problem with a thread titled, "Saturday Afternoon Legacy in Syracuse" getting stickied. BTW, umbowta is a nickname I got from my friend Jermell. It comes from "I'm about to". Just slur it all together and you get umbowta. Anyway, my name is Dan, and I'm an al....bino midget transexual transvestite hydrophobic resurected radioactive redundantly reduced guitar playing coffee addict.
This sticky is only temporary. Is is there because the players of Syracuse recently went to a new store for events and are currently in the process of trying to build up what was only a couple months ago a dead metagame, so keeping it up here at least gives more players in the area the opportunity to see that we are starting to hold events again.Di, stores across the country open and close, local player bases are built and/or collapse. Your argument applies to all of the stores trying to build from a dead metagame. None of them deserve Sticky threads.

Di
04-16-2007, 09:21 PM
While I agree with you, the Syracuse metagame is really what founded this website and is what originally everything was based off of. Not that any of that is really important now, but considering it was at one point the Mecca of the format and has since then lost pretty much its entire player base, it's important to spread the word that we are revitalizing the scene because it is home to one of the largest areas of Legacy play. It's much different if you try comparing that to say, some new store in bumfuck midwest.

Getsickanddie
04-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Di, stores across the country open and close, local player bases are built and/or collapse. Your argument applies to all of the stores trying to build from a dead metagame. None of them deserve Sticky threads.

Maybe if they asked an Admin or Mod they too could have a thread stickied for them.

Michael Keller
04-30-2007, 06:52 PM
Not to be a nervous nellie, but I reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllly hope that Kadilak's Dual Land Draft gets reported and processed soon - along with the past few (3-4) Comix Zone tournies. Since then I've gained about 100 points and have nothing to show for it...that is unless it's updated by GP...any word on the situation with the Comix Zone and reporting the tournies fellas?

Shriekmaw
04-30-2007, 07:01 PM
Not to be a nervous nellie, but I reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllly hope that Kadilak's Dual Land Draft gets reported and processed soon - along with the past few (3-4) Comix Zone tournies. Since then I've gained about 100 points and have nothing to show for it...that is unless it's updated by GP...any word on the situation with the Comix Zone and reporting the tournies fellas?

Hollywood, just go to rochester this coming weekend, win the byes and then you don't have to worry if these tournaments get reported. :)

Nightmare
05-03-2007, 01:27 PM
I just heard from ComixZone's store owner, they're planning on lowering the price of sealed deck for this week to a measley $15 bucks. Can't beat that for price! Go get some new cards, and stay for last minute practice for GPT Rochester!

Zach Tartell
05-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Can I snag a ride to the GP by going to this sealed jank? Also, is legacy after the sealed event? 'Cause, then, maybe.

Shriekmaw
05-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Can I snag a ride to the GP by going to this sealed jank? Also, is legacy after the sealed event? 'Cause, then, maybe.

You don't want to play sealed. I've seen you before try to play and you don't have a clue on whats going on.

Awesomator
05-03-2007, 02:06 PM
You don't want to play sealed. I've seen you before try to play and you don't have a clue on whats going on.

Kind of like the way you don't know what's going on in legacy right?

Zach Tartell
05-03-2007, 02:16 PM
Kind of like the way you don't know what's going on in legacy right?

Buuurrrnnn! I like this guy, now.

Also, don't hate if you don't understand the subtle nuances of "clockspinning, buyback." Tool.

on1y0ne
05-03-2007, 08:01 PM
Saturday we had 21 people, the biggest turnout we've had for a Legacy tourney in YEARS. I hope the next two weeks off won't hurt that showing, because I want to keep this ball rolling. This weekend is the Prerelease and the Newark D4D, and then it's Kadi's D4D, so we aren't holding Legacy for either week.

Not only will Sealed be a bit cheaper this week, but there will be two foils per person given out, instead of the customary one foil card. One of the cards is the Yixlid Jailer with alternate art. It looks pretty sweet.

Zach Tartell
05-04-2007, 02:38 AM
Not only will Sealed be a bit cheaper this week, but there will be two foils per person given out, instead of the customary one foil card. One of the cards is the Yixlid Jailer with alternate art. It looks pretty sweet.

Rich, you tease. Is there legacy, or not?

Nightmare
05-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Hey guys. While I understand there has been a snafu in the works with the previous month's events at the store, I can assure that from this point on, sanctioning will be the norm. That said, let's get a good sized crew together for this week, since it's really the last week those of us going to Columbus have to test. This is also the last event for byes by rating, so if you need a few last minute points (or can afford to give a few up), let's help each other out! As usual, $5 at 4pm.

Shriekmaw
05-10-2007, 06:06 PM
I would guess the turnout this week at Comix Zone will be very good, because its basically the last time we get to play in an actual Legacy event before the GP starts. I'll be there and hopefully this will be a great turnout. Hopefully we can get the driving situation all taken care of, so everyone from Syracuse that wants to go to this GP will be able to go.

Jim
05-11-2007, 08:06 AM
Well, I'll finally be going to a saturday tournament. w00t.

so, adam need a ride or are you all set? I'll be coming from work so I'll be by you. let me know, or i'll ask you when we talk about movies tonight.
see you when i see you guys.

Brushwagg
05-11-2007, 08:00 PM
How many Hulk/Flash decks are going to be there?

Mulletus
05-11-2007, 11:53 PM
I would come and win more points, but I don't want to make Mr.Nightmare feel any worse. It might be safe to say that the patron wizard wont be there to beat him again.

Michael Keller
01-19-2008, 05:45 PM
Pre-releases suck. There was no one at C.Z. today!

boris13
01-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Agreed they are way over priced.

Brushwagg
11-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Necro Power!!!!!!! So people know these are still going on!

Shriekmaw
12-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Necro Power!!!!!!! So people know these are still going on!

What has the turnout been like in Syracuse lately? I haven't been doing to the local events, but I still test and travel to the big events. I do still love to play Legacy.

e=mc^2
12-01-2008, 03:13 PM
I only go about every other week but the turnouts have been 11-17 for the past two months.

Shriekmaw
12-01-2008, 03:31 PM
I only go about every other week but the turnouts have been 11-17 for the past two months.

Who are you? Please identify yourself.

Brushwagg
12-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Really Comix Zone hasn't got that many lately. Altered has, I really don't see the reason people that play on Sunday can't play on Saturday also.

konsultant
12-10-2008, 08:40 PM
I've been the last two weeks with Tariq and nobody has been there.

Getsickanddie
12-10-2008, 09:02 PM
I've been the last two weeks with Tariq and nobody has been there.

If you're planning to run the event in the same time slot as Legacy at Comixzone, then you're in competition with that event for players. It's a fact. The same people who would be going to your event normally show up for legacy. It's bad enough that now, during the school year, we barely make 8 players consistently, and now you're taking probably half that base away.

Nightmare pretty much spelled this out to you. Weekly competitive Legacy events are dead now in Syracuse. (and no, whatever bullshit PTG runs on Sundays does not qualify.) I imagine it will stay that way until summer.

Also, just in case you forgot...

I will not be returning to Comix Zone regardless of when this event takes place but I wish them the best of success with thier tournaments and thier store

If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride.

konsultant
12-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Let me clear up some misconceptions for those that have been making a number of asumptions and speaking without having any factual knowledge regarding anything.

First off Classic was NOT my idea, it was also NOT my idea to schedule tournaments, Altered States chose to do that against my reccomendations. I was more or less elected to be the spokesperson that posted the initial announcement for the tournaments but that does not by any means make it my idea. I wanted to develop things considerably more whitch I had been working on in my team forum. Altered posted the events and then called me to double check the rules of the format whitch weren't even finalized yet.

Secondly outside of myself none of the routine Legacy players were expected to attend, I anticipated this and was 100% correct as ZERO Legacy players EVER showed up for it. Tariq missed events for other reasons and never had intentions of going to Classic, Nick and Adam are hardly regulars to the Legacy tournaments at CZ.

I stand behind CZ as I have all along and I stand behind my point that credit whitch can pretty much only be used for packs is an unfitting and almost worthless prize for Legacy events. I have requested Mike stock anything that may be more useful but coopertive as the store has been they seem uninterested in doing so. You can quote me right here on this but I would rather go to the fuckin chinese restuarant and play Legacy for chinese food because atleast then I could do something with it.

Thirdly if you actually take a look at the fact that other then myself on Saturdays you never lost a single person that would have been there I find it impossable to blame me/classic for the absence of Legacy at CZ on both Saturdays and Tuesdays.

Team EPIC has more than enough members to be holding tournaments on its own but none of them are showing up. If Adam would stop ranting on his damn soap box about shit that isnt even close to true and would actually look at things you would see that alot of people just aren't coming out. There was no Legacy event the two weeks prior to Classic starting, how can you blame that on Classic? Or how can you explain that there are no longer Tuesday events? Something needs to be done to draw people out to play and offering up some packs for prizes obviously isn't doing that for Legacy players.

I did say I had no intentions of returning there and if there was an alternative place to go to and play Legacy for better prizes I wouldn't bother returning there. As it is there are plenty of large Legacy events in the area, I'd rather play Legacy every week but if I have to there are type 2 events on Saturdays with a large number of people showing up offering good prizes. I have seen a number of Legacy players at Altered on Saturdays playing type 2 but they definetly werern't there to play Classic.

I have ABSOLUTLY ZERO desire to complete with Legacy at Comix Zone. The fact of the matter is this, the core people we have that are going to actually show up every week have requested this time slot, end of that discusion. The people running Comix Zone are awesome and do a fantastic job. Personally I am tired of playing for packs I don't need and am excited to play in this new format. I will not be returning to Comix Zone regardless of when this event takes place but I wish them the best of success with thier tournaments and thier store, I can't say enough good about how good they have been to Magic players in the area. Altered is going to stock as many cards relevent to this format as possable making it possable to play tournaments to get cards for your deck.

If people would like us to move the time to Saturday mornings allowing them to play in both events please let me know and if it would increase our attendence I will suggest the change to the store and I don't see it being a problem. Currently I have nobody in that situation so I see no reason to change the time. The tournament must take place on Saturday in order for those of us that set this up to attend so unfortunately it can't be moved to another day.

In case you have gone blind this was the whole statement, perhaps you should consider actually reading it.

Getsickanddie
12-10-2008, 10:33 PM
First off Classic was NOT my idea,

We wanted to make the entire experience of back when the game started so we are reviving some olden rules along with the card pool. The rules for Classic magic are as follows.

When you introduce the events inception with the term "we", expect some confusion.

it was also NOT my idea to schedule tournaments, Altered States chose to do that against my reccomendations.

That doesn't surprise me.

Secondly outside of myself none of the routine Legacy players were expected to attend, I anticipated this and was 100% correct as ZERO Legacy players EVER showed up for it. Tariq missed events for other reasons and never had intentions of going to Classic, Nick and Adam are hardly regulars to the Legacy tournaments at CZ.

Thirdly if you actually take a look at the fact that other then myself on Saturdays you never lost a single person that would have been there I find it impossable to blame me/classic for the absence of Legacy at CZ on both Saturdays and Tuesdays.

Whether or not you realize it Geoff you're a fairly influential member of the Legacy community in Syracuse. Abandoning CZ for Classic hurt attendance just by the perception that Legacy events would no longer be successful. I mean shit, we were barely making 8 before so even losing one player didn't help.

And nobody is blaming you Geoff, but the Classic debacle certainly didn't help.

I stand behind CZ as I have all along and I stand behind my point that credit whitch can pretty much only be used for packs is an unfitting and almost worthless prize for Legacy events. I have requested Mike stock anything that may be more useful but coopertive as the store has been they seem uninterested in doing so.

I hadn't heard anyone else complain about the prize support, but I can understand where you're coming from. I don't really think the prizes are the issue that have hurt Legacy. Personally I think the lack of new blood is the biggest issue, (events at Comix Zone not being as well known probably has exacerbated the problem) but I could be wrong.

Team EPIC has more than enough members to be holding tournaments on its own but none of them are showing up.

When you subtract the players who don't play Legacy, and the ones who aren't currently living in this city (or country for that matter), no we can't.

If Adam would stop ranting on his damn soap box about shit that isnt even close to true and would actually look at things you would see that alot of people just aren't coming out.

He hasn't said anything about it in a long time, and yes we realize people aren't coming out for many other reasons.

There was no Legacy event the two weeks prior to Classic starting, how can you blame that on Classic?

I don't.

The Source Tournament was two weeks before Classic started. I believe there was a 7 man event the week after, but I'm not positive. I know a lot of people like to take a break the week after a big event as well.

Or how can you explain that there are no longer Tuesday events?

College, school night, Hollywood leaving.

Something needs to be done to draw people out to play and offering up some packs for prizes obviously isn't doing that for Legacy players.

You're right, something needs to be done to attract players to Legacy again. I'm at the point now where I'm considering playing at PTG again, but we'll see how things pan out.

konsultant
12-10-2008, 10:53 PM
I was the one that was more or less responsible for making Classic into a balanced format while still allowing people to play as many busted fun cards as possable, I was asked because of my experience of the game and of the game at the time that classic was the only format of the game years ago, that was my part of "we".

I can appreciate that I have an impact on the area but Nightmare has quite an impact as well and he never bothered to get ahold of me before leaping to conclusions that in my opinion had a far more negative impact on things. If you read my posts I was very willing for comprimise there just was never any need due to the player base I was expecting. In fact the main reason I supported it was to get players that had given up the game years ago back out and playing at tournaments in an attempt to further the game in the area as much as possable. If it wasn't for some childish disputes over proxy rules I would have done just that. I created alot of interest but not enough for people to buy cards unfortunatly.

You say you never considered prizes as a problem but consider this, we still get a large number of people at all our large events and if the tournament was for 50 or 60 bucks in cash or cards that could atleast be sold would you be more likely to show up? In the olden days at Altered we got 30+ people every week but we kept getting that many people because everybody knew alot of people were going to show up so it was worth going.

I've tried to contact Adam but as of yet he is ignoring me. If it was possable for me to entice more people to show up on my own I would but as i've been saying i'm just one person. For what it's worth me and Tariq will be there every week in hopes of a tournament atleast until the GP. We will be there for the tournament and if we don't have enough people we will be there play testing Legacy for anybody that wants to join. If people show up we will continue to show up for Legacy after the GP, if nobody shows I guess i'm gonna have to learn how to play type 2 again.

rockout
12-10-2008, 10:55 PM
You can try to just give out cash as the prize support. If each person shells out 5 bucks to play in the Legacy event and you get say 8 people, that is 40 bucks. First place can get 25 bucks and make it worthwhile. I'm butting into a situation I have no plan to attend. If someone mentioned handing out money instead of crap Shards of Alara packs, then my apologies.

Getsickanddie
12-10-2008, 11:01 PM
We will be there for the tournament and if we don't have enough people we will be there play testing Legacy for anybody that wants to join. If people show up we will continue to show up for Legacy after the GP, if nobody shows I guess i'm gonna have to learn how to play type 2 again.

Fair enough. I'll be there the weekend after this one (Eli's event is this weekend so I doubt there will be anyone), and I'll try to convince some of EPIC to make it out.

Nightmare
12-11-2008, 09:21 AM
Geoff - I've PMed you, because I don't feel like airing dirty laundry in public.

Mulletus
12-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Dave Specter? Holy poop, what was that card we used to refer to him as, Gluttonous Zombie or something? He was a spitting image of it.

Nightmare
12-11-2008, 02:53 PM
That guy isn't dave specter anyway.

Bryant Cook
12-11-2008, 04:19 PM
I'll be back next Thursday ladies, pack your combo hate. You'll need it.

Brushwagg
12-11-2008, 09:29 PM
I've pretty much shown up every week, unless there was a big tournament or I had family plans. I'm quite sick of Standard (the format sucks) and want to play Legacy. So can we please show, chill out and play cards.

Michael Keller
12-12-2008, 09:27 AM
Christ. After I left, what the HELL happened??

What are the turnouts like now at CZ/AS? And are people playing this "classic" format more than Legacy?

Shriekmaw
12-12-2008, 09:40 AM
Christ. After I left, what the HELL happened??

What are the turnouts like now at CZ/AS? And are people playing this "classic" format more than Legacy?

The world has come to an end here in Syracuse. (just kidding)

I'll be going to Eli's tournament this weekend, but every week after I'll be there for Legacy just to prepare for the GP coming up.

Michael Keller
12-12-2008, 09:54 AM
Seriously, like, I remember the good old days getting breadsticks at Spaghetti Warehouse and shooting cards down at old A.S. Since Comix Zone started events, that was just awesome. It all seems like people (whether they're busy or not) have kind of side-stepped Legacy for other formats. Before I left, it seemed like people had more fun playing formats like E.D.H. and Skittles over Legacy. And losing players for their own reasons seems to hurt turnouts a lot.

Anyone who's been around the block in Syracuse knows the drill: Things slow down before the holidays then pick up just before/after because everyone is on vacation/break. As far as I understand, people genuinely want to play Legacy, it's just that people are like sheep and wherever the crowd goes, they follow. If people see a trend of six or seven showing up here and there, and a random happens to walk in to play, he/she just might take that into consideration when they look for other places to play.

I fully expect to play some Magic when I get home on break. I don't care if it's sanctioned or not. Looking back on all those years I played, the one thing that I remember most are the friendly faces and good times we shared playing tight games. It hurts to be away from that because Magic is so damn cutthroat these days that it pisses me off I can't be a part of that competition level I'm so used to being a part of.

But now the Navy can support my cardboard addiction :cool: Just let me know what the most popular format around Syracuse is and I'll stock up.

on1y0ne
12-12-2008, 02:29 PM
You can try to just give out cash as the prize support. If each person shells out 5 bucks to play in the Legacy event and you get say 8 people, that is 40 bucks. First place can get 25 bucks and make it worthwhile.

The problem with giving out cash on a regular basis is threefold:
1) You are treading on dangerous territory where gambling is concerned. Giving away cash makes the tournament border on the line of a poker tournament, et al.
2) Giving out all of the cash taken in means that the overhead and other expenses of running an event are not covered. Credit and packs cost less than giving out money. A $4 pack costs less than $2 to the store. Pack sales makes a great profit where tournaments profit much less. The small amount of money above cost that CZ makes is to cover expenses and such.
3) When taking in money for tournament entry, if you give it right back out, there are still tax implications for the store. I am sure Greg (the owner of Comix Zone) does not want the IRS breathing down his neck, especially with a competitor like Altered States, which would probably blow the whistle on the events.

I work diligently to get Comix Zone to have tournaments. Granted, I rarely can make an appearance there now, with work and a personal life, but I do show up from time to time. I did what I could to broaden the player base and give players a choice of where to play. Thanks to my team mates on EPIC for the support they have given CZ and trying to keep things going. I would love to see Legacy flourish again in the 'cuse. Syracuse players seem to make it to larger events, but not to weekly ones. There is still interest, so it's not dead yet. We all need to find out how to jumpstart the format again in this town... I am open to suggestions and will help out as best I can....

Michael Keller
12-16-2008, 06:19 PM
Five more days.

Bryant Cook
12-16-2008, 09:04 PM
Five more days.

I can't wait either. I just want to play my pet deck.

Bryant Cook
12-19-2008, 05:24 PM
Sorry for double post.

Is anyone going to this? Should I just go to altered?

EDIT: I sent a few text messages, there's 8 of us definitely going if you're thinking about it. DO IT.

Brushwagg
12-19-2008, 08:21 PM
I'll be there. Like I have been almost every other week.

Michael Keller
12-19-2008, 09:52 PM
I'll be there Sat. the 27th...I don't get back until Sunday.

Michael Keller
12-22-2008, 01:23 AM
It's good to be home.

gobblor
12-23-2008, 12:08 PM
I know this is a "saturday afternoon" thread at comix zone, but does anyone go on Tuesdays anymore? or is anyone going today(Tuesday)

Bryant Cook
12-23-2008, 12:17 PM
I know this is a "saturday afternoon" thread at comix zone, but does anyone go on Tuesdays anymore? or is anyone going today(Tuesday)

Who are you? I was thinking about going today. But it would probably be for Skittles/Edh since there won't be enough people for an event.

gobblor
12-23-2008, 12:38 PM
This is Dan. I have nothing to do today really so thats why I was asking.

Bryant Cook
12-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Dan, check your damn private message (PM) box.