PDA

View Full Version : cumulative effects

raudo
04-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Hi,

I'm just wondering what effects are added together and what is the rule it's based upon:

For example
a) if I control 2 Ghostly Prisons does one have to pay 4 to attack?
b) if I control 2 Magus of the Tabernacles does one have to pay 2 to save one creature?

thanks for your time!

Awesomator
04-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Yes you have to pay 4 for 2 ghostly prison and 2 for 2 magus. Why? someone else will have to take this one and explain.

iOWN
04-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Hi,

I'm just wondering what effects are added together and what is the rule it's based upon:

For example
a) if I control 2 Ghostly Prisons does one have to pay 4 to attack?
b) if I control 2 Magus of the Tabernacles does one have to pay 2 to save one creature?

thanks for your time!

a)
10/4/2004 If there is more than one Propaganda (or Ghostly Prison, in this case, but the original card always gets the errata) in play, the cost is cumulative.

Also, you can try reading the printed text of something if the oracle text isn't detailed enough. Looking at Propaganda, it reads 'additional 2 for each...'.

b) Each creature gains the ability twice, so it triggers twice for each creature. Paying the cost once doesn't satisfy both triggers; one resolves, you pay 1 mana, but unless you do the same for the second trigger, you will still have to sacrifice it. So, the answer to your question is yes.

Edit - Goes like this:

Beginning of upkeep, assume there's only one creature.

STACK
Sacrifice this creature unless you pay 1.
Sacrifice this creature unless you pay 1.
BOTTOM

The ability on top resolves, and you may opt whether or not to pay one mana. If you do not: sacrifice it to the first, the second ability still resolves, but because you no longer control that creature you cannot sacrifice it. If you do: pay one to keep it alive, second resolves, you opt whether or not to pay one mana.

Locutus
04-09-2007, 09:07 PM
The ability on top resolves, and you may opt whether or not to pay one mana. If you do not: sacrifice it to the first, the second ability still resolves, but because you no longer control that creature you cannot sacrifice it.
Note that you can still choose to pay ona mana for the second ability even if you sacrificed the creature for the first (for example to avoid mana burn if the creature was a cathodion).