PDA

View Full Version : Meat Hooks takes on CoD and comes away bloody....

BoomChild
04-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Allright folks, let me set the scene. College of DuPage, Illinois Monday night legacy. 30 people in attendence with me playing a copy of the Meat Hooks deck which I stole off the newest primer. This was my sideboard:

4x Chill
3x Harmonic Sliver
4x Meddling Mage
2x Stifle
2x Tormod's Crypt

We would be playing 4 rounds and prizes to the top4. Lets hope for the best....

Round 1 - RGB Survival

Game 1: I had no idea what he was playing so I started off with the highly anticipated start of Fetchland into Tundra for a Plated sliver. His turn goes Forest/Llanowar Elf. Ok. I can deal with that. Turn two I drop Sinew Sliver and smash for 2 and he plays Survival and pitches a card to tutor for a 2/1 red guy which deals 2 to a creature with CIP. By the way, he was on the play. His third turn he plays the red guy, attempts to kill Sinew, which is a 2/3 and he doesn't realize this. I take the tempo advantage and play Cryst, and Winged next two turns for the win.

Game 2: I counter his survival and he has nothing to get back into the game. My board was -3 Daze +3 Harmonic.

Round 2 - Mono Red Burn :cry:

Game 1: He wins roll and plays Spark Elemental to get me for 3. Ouch bad matchup. I eventually get board control with Cryst and Sinew and he Flamebreaks. Ouch again. I get a little back into it and he casts Price of Progress 3x and I can only counter 1. He wins that game while I have 3 Duals in play. Sigh.

Game 2: SB +4 Chill, +4 Meddling Mage -4 STP, -2 Stifle, -2 Daze. Game two I keep a hand with 2 Chill and play them on turn 2 and 4. I beat with Cryst and Plated and keep counters in my hand for 7 turns until I win.

Game 3: I keep a good blue hand with lots of interaction and not draw slivers. I counter what I can but eventually I fall to another double price of progress and weep a little inside.

Round 3 - GW Enchantress :cry:

Game 1: I am in the game for the first 4 turns until he plays a Solitary Confinement. No blue card in hand for FoW so I think for a moment and see the 3x Enchantment draw effects on board for him and go to the sideboard. Sigh.

Game 2: SB: +4 Meddling Mage, +3 Harmonic Sliver, -4 STP, -2 Stifle, -1 Daze. Game two I get a M. Mage set to Solitary Confinement and beat for about 4 turns until he drops a Sacred Mesa. I have a harmonic in hand but no Green mana because he was able to wasteland by Trop and I never saw another fetchland that game. Oh well. He overuns me with Pegasi and that's that.

Round 4 - BW Deadguy :cry:

So much for playing against Thresh and Gobos at this tourny.

Game 1: He denies me mana and I get rolled by Hippies

Game 2: He denies me mana and I get rolled by Shade.

Well that was fun.

Notes on the actual deck.

-A lot of fun to play with the slivers. Only weak point of the deck is the mana base. If I had been able to keep my mana the last round I would have easily won the match.

-The deck seems like it would be a good call if you are expecting the field to be mostly consistent of the Big Three. It is favorable against all of those but it has a poor time dealing with random jank.

-Surprisingly enough I found that STP was one of the weakest cards in the deck. I never casted it and never actually drew it when I needed to. I just chalk it up to a bad tourny.

-The power level of the cards seems like it is on par with that of threshold but with a lot of the versitality missing. I can't tell what it is about the deck but it definately felt like something was missing. Could have been me though.

Tourny notes:

-Finals was Gobos vs. Deadguy. They split but played it out and Gobos won. Was driven by my friend Matt who I convinced to go the day of.

-Terrageddon is a house if it is played correctly. So many just insane and broken plays.

-Threshold was def not in attendance at this tourny.

-Gobos was only played by two people. One person won it, the other scrubbed.

-I hate GW Enchantress. lol.

That's all I got guys, take care.

BoomChild

To Whom It May Concern: This post was not endorsed by Team Info-Ninja, The Meathooks Administration or Sliver Lovers of America.

Bryant Cook
04-10-2007, 12:49 AM
Whenever I post reports I lie and say I won, you should too.

Volt
04-10-2007, 01:04 AM
Well, thanks for the pub. This should really help the deck take off. lol.

Bryant Cook
04-10-2007, 01:14 AM
All you have to include at the bottom of his post is this is not endorsed by Team Info-Ninja, The Meathooks administration or Sliver Lovers of America. Then people will be like oh, it wasn't Volt, I won't take it seriously.

Volt
04-10-2007, 01:20 AM
All you have to include at the bottom of his post is this is not endorsed by Team Info-Ninja, The Meathooks administration or Sliver Lovers of America. Then people will be like oh, it wasn't Volt, I won't take it seriously.

lol. Somebody give me mod powers and I'm on it.

jamest
04-10-2007, 01:30 AM
Counterslivers is strong. A 4-match sample size doesn't change that.

Volt
04-10-2007, 01:33 AM
Counterslivers is strong. A 4-match sample size doesn't change that.

Team Info-Ninja and the Sliver Lovers of America endorse this message.

Pinder
04-10-2007, 01:56 AM
First of all, thanks for picking this deck up.

And I don't think those results are really typical. Usually games 2 and 3 I roll Enchantress and Affinity on the back of Harmonic Sliver. Enchantress is the tougher of the two to hate out, though. And I can't believe you didn't see another fetchland after he wasted your Trop. Burn can be problematic for us, but it seemed like you lost game 3 because of some terrible draws. As for Deadguy, well...that's not really too surprising. It's winnable, but it's not what you would call pleasant.

And only 2 Gobs and no Thresh? Geez.

Di
04-10-2007, 01:59 AM
Regardless on how well he performed the results wouldn't really account for anything because the event was only 30 people. So like, if he won, you could be all happy and bust out the champagne, but nobody would care.

Leftconsin
04-10-2007, 02:07 AM
When was this? This week? DCI says that our MNL at CoD hasn't hit 30 players in the past 2 months.

If it was this week, Thresh (me) got 4th.

However, on the 19th of March Thresh (me) split first prize with Meathooks in a 19 player Monday night legacy.

Volt
04-10-2007, 02:15 AM
However, on the 19th of March Thresh (me) split first prize with Meathooks in a 19 player Monday night legacy.

Break out the champagne, boys! :laugh:

Pinder
04-10-2007, 02:27 AM
Break out the champagne, boys! :laugh:

Hm, yes, it seems we're doomed to rule smaller tourneys for the rest of eternity...oh well.

BoomChild
04-10-2007, 03:59 AM
Regardless of sample size of a tourny I wanted to give a real life protrayal of what the deck was up to. I had bad draws and matchups all night so it was no surprise to me that I walked away bloody and beaten. The deck is good I just go unlucky tonight. There were quite a few people there toinght, it was close to 30 I think, at least mid 20's. Anyways I'm going to keep plugging along with the hooks unless I find that I just can't win with it. And the BW Ale deck just wrecked my landbase game 2. I counted at least 7 to 8 destructions in that one game. Stupid land d....

xsockmonkeyx
04-10-2007, 04:34 AM
Welcome to the Source and thanks for picking up the deck.

Guys, you dont need to keep defending/hyping the deck. Thats what the damn primer was for.:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Cavius The Great
04-10-2007, 08:50 AM
Regardless of sample size of a tourny I wanted to give a real life protrayal of what the deck was up to. I had bad draws and matchups all night so it was no surprise to me that I walked away bloody and beaten. The deck is good I just go unlucky tonight. There were quite a few people there toinght, it was close to 30 I think, at least mid 20's. Anyways I'm going to keep plugging along with the hooks unless I find that I just can't win with it. And the BW Ale deck just wrecked my landbase game 2. I counted at least 7 to 8 destructions in that one game. Stupid land d....

You never actually said what place you got. What place did you get exactly with Meathooks?

Zach Tartell
04-10-2007, 12:28 PM
A little more off topic, do you think that the Deck LIsts will be posted? Or, specifically, the Enchatnress? I'd really like to see a list that didn't have the third color, and that ran wasteland.

As for the loss... You can't make lemonade without lemons? I'm not sure of the idiom, but don't let the loss get you down.

BoomChild
04-10-2007, 01:22 PM
I can almost assure you that decklists won't be posted because it's a weekly event and the TO's don't use this site as far as I know. Enchantress only played G/W and from what he told me after the game that was the only waste in his deck:eek: . Other than that, I am still in full support of the deck I just think that we need to find a way to even our matches against the random jank, be it through sb tech or other ways.

I'm going to give it a go again next week and hope for the best again. Maybe I'll actually play against goblins a few times. How many times can you actually say that and mean it.

hugs and kisses,
BoomChild

p.s. I have been trolling about the forums for quite a while now and just got around to posting because I didn't want to murky up the discussion thread about Hooks.

P.s.s. I came in aproximately 23'rd place. They only annouce top 4 for prize. Not a paper/printout venue, a pair and yell out pairings venue.

Finn
04-10-2007, 03:34 PM
Surprisingly enough I found that STP was one of the weakest cards in the deck. I never casted it and never actually drew it when I needed to.
This is pretty funny. I am not doubting the truth of your statements (that would be foolish). I can't quite follow the logic though. The card is to blame for not being in your hand when you needed it?

I can understand if you would be upset at a girlfriend or boyfriend being at work when you feel, ya know, needy. But that person is hardly at fault if you are not in the mood while you are both at home. And it doesn't make that person bad in bed. :)

BoomChild
04-11-2007, 01:05 AM
This is pretty funny. I am not doubting the truth of your statements (that would be foolish). I can't quite follow the logic though. The card is to blame for not being in your hand when you needed it?

I can understand if you would be upset at a girlfriend or boyfriend being at work when you feel, ya know, needy. But that person is hardly at fault if you are not in the mood while you are both at home. And it doesn't make that person bad in bed. :)

LoL!! I understand what you mean. STP is by far one of the best cards in legacy right now. I just thought that it was ironic that I both A) Played against decks that don't showcase creatures a lot. and B) Never drew a STP let alone cast one. It was a strange tourny to say the least.

Anusien
04-11-2007, 01:44 AM
LoL!! I understand what you mean. STP is by far one of the best cards in legacy right now.
Considering that it really only trades 1 for 1, I don't see how this claim can be true.

Justicio
04-11-2007, 02:28 AM
Round two was a blast, especially when you had to take 2 price of progress....It just wins games. I thought your deck was pretty insane against goblins and thresh, and the 4 chills froze me solid with my burn deck.

You were right though, Flame Break was a house all day long and I'm glad I was able to have fun playing Burn at Cod

Hope to see you next monday :)

Pinder
04-11-2007, 02:44 AM
You were right though, Flame Break was a house all day long and I'm glad I was able to have fun playing Burn at Cod

While we're on the Flamebreak topic, I would just like to point out that Winged Sliver > Flamebreak.

Also, Anusien, I think the reason people like Swords is because it trades 1 for 1 so efficiently, and also at instant speed. It also RFG's rather than killing. Those three things combined make it so there's not really a whole lot that Swords can't just make go away. Which is nice.

Volt
04-11-2007, 02:57 AM
While we're on the Flamebreak topic, I would just like to point out that Winged Sliver > Flamebreak.

I would like to second that. Of all the times I've played against Burn, Flamebreak has rarely mattered. Whenever I read one of these reports where people say they keep losing their slivers to Flamebreak, I have to wonder if some of them aren't forgetting that Flamebreak doesn't affect flying critters. Btw, the Burn matchup really isn't all that bad once you figure out how to play against it. Even without hosers like Chill & blue blasts, you should be able to go 50/50 against it simply by siding in Meddling Mages and playing smart.

BoomChild
04-11-2007, 11:40 PM
Yeah I understand. I just have to chalk that loss up to inexperience with the deck and unluckyness. I will be there again next monday but with what deck, I'm not sure yet. It will either be Hooks or Threshold.

MattH
04-14-2007, 02:13 AM
Meat Hooks cannot fail. Meat Hooks can only be failed.

Goblin Snowman
04-15-2007, 01:48 PM
I have a question, why is the Chill in your board not Absolute Law? Was Goblins under-represented, and Burn everywhere? Also, if you expected Burn (not saying you did) why no Essence Silver?

Leftconsin
04-15-2007, 08:53 PM
I would have to say goblins is about 10% of the normal crowd of CoD. Burn is not as popular. I have played about a match a month against it. Tomorrow I'll directly ask the people in prize what they ran.

MrBig
04-16-2007, 01:00 AM
I would have to say goblins is about 10% of the normal crowd of CoD. Burn is not as popular. I have played about a match a month against it. Tomorrow I'll directly ask the people in prize what they ran.

I agree. People at COD aren't the sharpest tools in the shed and thus refuse to play the best deck in the format.

BoomChild
04-16-2007, 03:32 AM
I will absolutly be attending tomorrow. Well I guess today. It should be fun to see what happens this week. I still have not decided between Hooks and Thresh. It will probably be a game time decision. I'll start a new thread for that report tomorrow. Good luck to everyone.

Boomer

BoomChild
04-16-2007, 02:17 PM
To Whom It May Concern: This post was not endorsed by Team Info-Ninja, The Meathooks Administration or Sliver Lovers of America.

Regardless of if the post is endorsed or not you can't look at only the good aspects of a deck and the power. Any real life example of how the deck runs is statistical evidence. Playing this again tonight. Watch for the second report later tonight.

XOXOXOX

BoomChild

Volt
04-16-2007, 03:04 PM
lol. You're my hero, frogboy! :laugh: