PDA

View Full Version : Metagame in Brazil?!

Happy Gilmore
04-12-2007, 02:46 PM
For clarification Brazil in English (Brasil in Portuguese)

In the Red Death thread there was a new post by Lemuria which states that there is actually a developed metagame in the heart of South America. As far as I know this is the first time I have heard of it. Anyone else from Brazil on The Source?

Nightmare
04-12-2007, 02:50 PM
More importantly, can you send me Portugese cards?

Lemuria
04-18-2007, 11:14 AM
@Mr. Nightmare - Well, they are cheaper LOL.

@Happy Gilmore - We will have two tournaments here. A big one in 04/28 and another one, small in 05/10.

I'll post the results on Red Death thread, since I'll run Red Death deck. It might be usefull if you want to have an idea of our metagame.

Sadly, most players here still care only for Standard format, but slowly, legacy starts to dominate. It's confusing, even for me, to tell you exactly about our current metagame. Just a lot of Affinity, Survival, Mono something and psychatog.

calosso
04-18-2007, 11:27 AM
when I was in Rio, there was no legacy metagame, but there was alot of staples for example, wastelands, Duals,intuitions, and other older cards.
They were very cheap.

Lemuria
04-18-2007, 12:01 PM
when I was in Rio, there was no legacy metagame, but there was alot of staples for example, wastelands, Duals,intuitions, and other older cards.
They were very cheap.

When did you came here? Did you like our girls? Man...they're so hot, I'm so lucky to borned in here :cool:

Anyway, we didn't have legacy, but we always had Vintage, that's why you found those cards. But they are getting more and more expensive, since legacy started.

Mr.C
04-18-2007, 12:49 PM
I've been away from Brazil for a while, but, as far as I remember, there is no Legacy metagame. Some people play Vintage regurlarly in Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro (where I was a regular), but the market is mainly geared towards standard.

Legacy cards cost much more now, though.

freakish777
04-18-2007, 02:56 PM
Would you guys imagine that Paulo Vitor Damo da Rosa and Willy Edel's success on the PT level has anything to do with a growing metagame in Brazil? Obviously I'd think their success would encourage growth in Standard/Extended/Limited, but I'd also imagine that you'd end up with some new players that end up playing Legacy instead or some old players who get frustrated by some of the newer crowd and decide they'll play a different format instead.

calosso
04-18-2007, 03:05 PM
When did you came here? Did you like our girls? Man...they're so hot, I'm so lucky to borned in here :cool:

Anyway, we didn't have legacy, but we always had Vintage, that's why you found those cards. But they are getting more and more expensive, since legacy started.

I went there last year, the girls there were fucking amazing you lucky son of a bitch.

Weekend Daddy
04-23-2007, 03:28 AM
Brazil now has combined 2 things I like.

Legacy tournaments
and more importantly
Brazillian girls, Brazils greatest natural resource.

Damn, I wish I can partake.

I'd love to go, but coming from Las Vegas. It's damn expensive. Enjoy Brazil you bastards!

Getsickanddie
04-23-2007, 03:42 AM

Man I had a fling with a foreign exchange student from Brasil that went to my high school my senior year. She was smokin', and so were all he friends from back home.

On a side note are you a fan of Vale Tudo? If so can you get me a good deal on Chute Boxe gear, or Wand fight wear cheap? Prices are outrageous in the states....

Lemuria
04-23-2007, 09:36 AM
Man I had a fling with a foreign exchange student from Brasil that went to my high school my senior year. She was smokin', and so were all he friends from back home.

On a side note are you a fan of Vale Tudo? If so can you get me a good deal on Chute Boxe gear, or Wand fight wear cheap? Prices are outrageous in the states....

Yea, I'm a BIG fan of Vale Tudo. Though Vitor Belfort really sucks, I think Wanderley Silva and Minotauro are one of the best fighters ever.

Have a look on this, Minotauro vs Bob Sapp (Negator)...can you believe that Minotauro would win that fight?:eek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N1Gu4QeHBo

As for your Chute Box (Kickboxing translation) gear, I will have a look and tell you what I find:wink:

Getsickanddie
04-24-2007, 12:01 AM
Yea, I'm a BIG fan of Vale Tudo. Though Vitor Belfort really sucks, I think Wanderley Silva and Minotauro are one of the best fighters ever.

Have a look on this, Minotauro vs Bob Sapp (Negator)...can you believe that Minotauro would win that fight?:eek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N1Gu4QeHBo

As for your Chute Box (Kickboxing translation) gear, I will have a look and tell you what I find:wink:

That minotauro vs sapp fight is certainly a classic. Wanderlei is by far my favorite fighter, and Nogueira is right up there.

You are my new favorite source member.

Lemuria
04-24-2007, 12:22 AM
That minotauro vs sapp fight is certainly a classic. Wanderlei is by far my favorite fighter, and Nogueira is right up there.

You are my new favorite source member.

hahaha...
tks bro.

Fuzzy
04-25-2007, 02:56 PM
First of all, sorry for the grammatical errors. I'm using the Google Translator because I'm a f*cking stupid in English.

I live in São Paulo, where we have regular Legacy champs (One for month). Our metagame sux: Is basically Gobs, Fishs, IGGy Pop, a variant of BW Homebrew (Called "Sem Amigos", the equivalent of "Without Friends"), one 43 Lands, and a lot of Randons (MonoU, MBC, Sligh/Burn, GW Aggro, etc.).

We have a poor metagame because we don't have a access to buy top cards like Dual Lands, Resets, Sea Drakes and others, as much for the financial value (Yeah, we don't have much money [F*cking 3rd world country...], and here the prices are expensive: One Italian Revised Dual without U WB must be solded for more than 35 USDs!) how much for the difficulty to find them (Few peoples have International Credit Card/PayPal to buy this things on Ebay/MOTL, and many sellers don't send cards from here). Oh, and here happens the monopoly of this cards.

@Mr.Nightmare: I can send for you! :smile:

Happy Gilmore
04-25-2007, 03:04 PM
First of all, sorry for the grammatical errors. I'm using the Google Translator because I'm a f*cking stupid in English.

I live in São Paulo, where we have regular Legacy champs (One for month). Our metagame sux: Is basically Gobs, Fishs, IGGy Pop, a variant of BW Homebrew (Called "Sem Amigos", the equivalent of "Without Friends"), one 43 Lands, and a lot of Randons (MonoU, MBC, Sligh/Burn, GW Aggro, etc.).

We have a poor metagame because we don't have a access to buy top cards like Dual Lands, Resets, Sea Drakes and others, as much for the financial value (Yeah, we don't have much money [F*cking 3rd world country...], and here the prices are expensive: One Italian Revised Dual without U WB must be solded for more than 35 USDs!) how much for the difficulty to find them (Few peoples have International Credit Card/PayPal to buy this things on Ebay/MOTL, and many sellers don't send cards from here). Oh, and here happens the monopoly of this cards.

@Mr.Nightmare: I can send for you! :smile:

Neet, and welcome to the source! If the prize support is decent for those tournaments you should eventually get the cards you need. I have seen metas that are even more random than that.

Some Legacy communities in the center of the U.S. have similar issues finding tournaments and cards.

Also, some of us have paypal as well as loads of extra duals and Legacy staples. I think we can help you with your card shortage problem.

Lemuria
04-25-2007, 10:28 PM
@Happy Gilmore - It's nice to know that. I just finish Red Death, but maybe I'll start some another build later, not for now cuz I really enjoy the Death.

@Fuzzy - Well meeting. Are you coming to the championship now 04/28 in Devir? It will be nice if we players start to spread legacy's popularity. Our stores are more interested on Standard because it gives them more money, but it's up to us, legacy players, to motivate the people to play legacy format. It's more competitive and cheaper. Once you get those cards you need, you don't need to worry about get rid of them for new supplies. So, for many reasons, it's the coolest format in magic.

I have two more friends of mine who became adept to legacy, and I think it will be nice if all of us join together, increasing our numbers so Devir can take us more seriously.

Also, we'll have another tournament in 05/20 in Domain (Oz).

Fuzzy
04-26-2007, 02:51 PM
@Happy Gilmore: Thanks for reception!

Prize support? We receive 1 Dissension Booster for each 3-4 Peoples since the TS Pré-Release, We don't receive in top singles!

The big problem in my metagame area is the lack of acess Brasilian players have to older sets, since we barely have Revised Edition (in Italian, things started in 4th here....), and the few tops are sent to Americans and Europeans that pay more than us for those (remember that we live under a Standard Cuilture here). The U.S. communities can get this more easily. Anyway, if you want send us anything, I thank You so much! ^.^

Anyway, the great point here is the Pimp Culture (Not prostitution in this case). Man, here is a Paradise! At last PTQ 2HG Limited, I bought:

3 Brainstorm PT foil (~8 USD each!)
2 T4K PT foil (2 USD each)
2 SSG PT foil (0.5 USD each)
1 Viashino Heretic PT foil (1 USD)
3 EtW 2 ENG 1 PT foil (~2 USD each)
4 ToA PT foil (10 USD the playset!)
1 Chain of Vapor PT foil (0.5 USD)
And a lot of Missprints/Misscuts/Missf*ck for NOTHING (Meh, 0.25 each...)!

[U$ 1,00 ~= R$ 2,00]

@Lemuria: Hey man, i'll go to Devir after tomorrow! But... Forget, Legacy NEVER will be a competitive format here, because all players have no information about the format, playing ever Monos and/or "Extended powered". Or gobbos, anyway... (You probably know WHO I'm talking about...). WHEN they plays, of course, because Legacy = Coin Flip [Sarcasm off].

Devir killed MTG in Brazil! WotC, save us! Yup, we don't have any support of the official deliverer in any format!

Cya in Devir, and most probably in OZ too!

PS: Only for info, I know you?

maurobad2k4
04-26-2007, 03:56 PM
Actually it is US$1,00 ~= R$2,00

The prize should be better really, we need more FOW and duals !!!

Pinder
04-26-2007, 04:00 PM
Minotauro vs Bob Sapp (Negator)...can you believe that Minotauro would win that fight?

A Minotaur vs a Negator? Of course the Minotaur wins.

xsockmonkeyx
04-26-2007, 04:12 PM
You could always make a rule that allows for a limited amount of proxy cards. Legacy is a very affordable format if you do not have to worry about duals, FoWs, Resets, Drakes, etc. If you allow say 8 proxy cards per deck then all of a sudden you have a ton more players.

Fuzzy
04-26-2007, 04:23 PM
You could always make a rule that allows for a limited amount of proxy cards. Legacy is a very affordable format if you do not have to worry about duals, FoWs, Resets, Drakes, etc. If you allow say 8 proxy cards per deck then all of a sudden you have a ton more players.

Here we hate proxys! I don't know why, but everybody deslikes!

Happy Gilmore
04-26-2007, 05:13 PM

4 would probably be enough. With eight cards as proxies I could put together every deck in the format. If you guys have paypal and want to buy some legacy stuff start connecting with us. I can think of a couple of people I know who have excess duals and such that they would be willing to part with (given a decent offer). There are also websites that are designed specifically for this purpose. Cardshark comes to mind.