PDA

View Full Version : GPT Results

Happy Gilmore
04-16-2007, 06:58 PM
There were somewhere in the vicinity of 6 tournaments over the week, and yet I have not seen the results anywhere. Where the heck are all the deck lists!

If you have attended any of the GPTs from the 12-16 pls post any information you can recall about these events. Links to the T8 deck lists are appreciated.

UrDraco
04-19-2007, 03:31 PM
The GPT in North Carolina only had a whopping 13 people show up. 4 rounds swiss that cut to a top8. From what I can remember the top8 was:

Angelstompy
Iggypop
UGr Thresh
Kobolds
B/W Disruption
UGw Thresh
RGbeats
????

Ewokslayer
04-19-2007, 03:39 PM
Does anyone know how much it costs for a store to get the right to run a GPT?

revenge_inc
04-19-2007, 04:27 PM
I thought that all that was needed was a level two (or higher) judge..

TheInfamousBearAssassin
04-22-2007, 04:56 PM
I know that MasterShake (from TMD) almost won a GPT with TruffleShuffle. He apparently made it to the finals, where his opponent wanted to concede, and the Judge wouldn't let him (which is illegal x 5million, incidentally. Some level 2 Judge).

I neither know nor care about non-Truffle Shuffle GPT results.

jrp
04-23-2007, 10:50 AM
@Ewokslayer: I don't think it costs a store anything to "get the right to run a GPT," but usually only certain stores(or TOs, such as PES) in a given geographical area get to run GPT and PTQ level tournaments. I think they are called "Premiere" stores. Kinda works the same ways as the Pre-Release events.

Xero
04-23-2007, 02:40 PM
Detroit GPT Top 8 Lists:

http://professional-events.com/decks/WotC/GPTColumbus07/GPTColumbus-041507.htm

noobslayer
04-23-2007, 03:21 PM
2 Landstill and 1 Pseudo-Landstill in the top 8? That's pretty fair.

Ewokslayer
04-23-2007, 03:29 PM
@Ewokslayer: I don't think it costs a store anything to "get the right to run a GPT," but usually only certain stores(or TOs, such as PES) in a given geographical area get to run GPT and PTQ level tournaments. I think they are called "Premiere" stores. Kinda works the same ways as the Pre-Release events.

Thanks, I was wondering what the method was to control the number of Byes given out. Though I am sure being a "Premiere" store isn't free.

Soto
04-23-2007, 06:44 PM
The GPT in montreal was:

2x Belcher
1x G/W Random Jank.dec
1x B/W Deadguy Ale
1x Goblins
1x U/W Fish
2 other things i cant remember

We had 22 players.

URABAHN
04-29-2007, 12:14 AM
GPT Results from StarCityGames Roanoke, VA
4-28-2007, 15 players

R/G/B Loam Control
Faerie Stompy
IGGy Pop (TOP 4)
R/G Beats (TOP 4, TOP 2, WINNER)
Turbo Stasis
White STAX
The Pyroclasm Deck (TOP 4)
Goblins
White *****
Affinity (TOP 4, TOP 2)
U/W/b Landstill
Hulk Flash
R/G/W Beats
B/g Beats
Vial Horror

DeathwingZERO
04-29-2007, 07:58 AM
Being a Premier store is free. All you need to do is show that you consistently can support x number of players (I believe it might be in the neighborhood of 24 for GPT/Pre-release stuff), and they send you prize support as long as you keep with that size.

As for the release events/trials and such, I think you do need a Level 2 Judge at the least. It should still be free, other than your compensation for the Judge being there. Not sure if Wizards handles that, or the store does.

wmagzoo7
04-29-2007, 06:16 PM
GPT Blue Bell Infinite quests 4/29/07

5 Color Survival (Burning Wish for Coalition Victory with sliver queen maindeck for jokes. Won the NY GPT yesterday had 108 wins with victory)
IGGY POP (Standard list with maindeck ancient tomb)
2 Belcher ( 1 B/G/R and 1 G/R)
4 Color Landstill
RWG Beats
B/W Aggro
Mono Red Goblins
???

alakar
05-01-2007, 02:28 PM
We had a low attendance at the St. Louis GPT, so we cut to a top 4.

1- Trinket Angels
2- BHWC Landstill
3-4 BDW
3-4 10(?) Land Stompy

I should be putting a mini report soon.

chmoddity
05-01-2007, 02:38 PM
These GPT results are sucking. 15 ppl, 13, ppl, cut to top4 due to low turnout. WTF?

Drkdstryer
05-01-2007, 03:18 PM
I'll try to post comprehensive GPT: Pittsburgh lists after this weekend.

Ewokslayer
05-01-2007, 03:23 PM
These GPT results are sucking. 15 ppl, 13, ppl, cut to top4 due to low turnout. WTF?

GPTs from what I have seen tend to have crappy turnout
The 2 Limited GPTs I went to in NYC had only 15 and 32.

I have no idea how many went to the NYC GPT this weekend.

Ta Jugs
05-01-2007, 03:45 PM
The one in Rachahcha should be big this week as its the closest one to cuse and we have a lot of players at the store itself.

Shriekmaw
05-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Last year, I went to Rochester for the extended GPT for Charlotte. There was only 8 of us for that one. We ended up with everyone that played out product and we played a single elimination Top 8. I ended up winning the 3 byes, but missed the GP, because that was the weekend of the Ice Storm down the whole coast which got my very upset.

GPT's do tend to have a low turnout, but in the Rochester/Syracuse area, that will not happen when it comes to Legacy.

sammiel
05-01-2007, 09:14 PM
anyone got results for the one in chicago?

I tried to drive up on saturday, but found out it was on sunday when I got there, so I ended up missing it.

Tha Gunslinga
05-02-2007, 11:08 PM
The Chicago GPT was won by Goblins, after a Goblins mirror in the finals. ICBM made top 8, top 4, and finals, but lost.

Gekoratel
05-02-2007, 11:31 PM
How big was the flash deck at this tourny, with two Goblins decks in the finals I'm assuming it wasn't popular or was hated out by Thresh/Fish variants.

Plank
05-03-2007, 12:30 AM
GPT Atlanta was:

1st - B/W Confindant
2nd - U/W Landstill
3rd - Iggypop
4th - U/W/R fish?
5th - Mono white stax
6th - Mono white stax
7th - Pox
8th - I forget~

We only had 15 people and for some reason played 5 rounds instead of 4 to a top 8. By the time round 5 had rolled around we only had 10 people left.

Deger
05-04-2007, 07:44 AM
5C Survival with C-Victory and Sliver queen is awesome...
DDestroyer: Can't wait to see ya in PGH tomorrow.
--

Tha Gunslinga
05-04-2007, 10:17 AM
How big was the flash deck at this tourny, with two Goblins decks in the finals I'm assuming it wasn't popular or was hated out by Thresh/Fish variants.

0 people played it. Goblins was everywhere.

Ta Jugs
05-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Well the GPT in Rachacha is tomorrow last time we had 47 players it should be an interesting GPT.

Caboose
05-06-2007, 02:24 AM
Pittsburgh had like 36 people and had about 3 or 4 Flash decks. Top 8 was:

Goblins/UGW Thresh (split)
Meathooks
4c Landstill
U/G Madness/Landstill hybrid
Hulk Flash
Hulk Flash
(Don't know the 8th deck right now)

Gekoratel
05-06-2007, 05:34 PM
UPDATED
The Top 8 for the Rochester GPT was:
Rg Goblins
Hulk Flash
Aluren
Land.dec
Belcher
Belcher
4 Color Thresh
Fairy Stompy variant w/ Standstill

Matchups were:
Quarter Finals
Rg Goblins vs. Aluren
Fairy Stompy vs. Belcher
4 Color Thresh vs. Hulk Flash
Belcher vs. Land.dec

Semis
Aluren vs. Belcher
4 Color Thresh vs. Fairy Stompy

Finals
Aluren vs. Fairy Stompy

Peter_Rotten
05-06-2007, 05:46 PM
The Top 8 for the Rochester GPT was:

How many players attended this event?

Happy Gilmore
05-06-2007, 05:58 PM
T8 for GPT Richmond 05-05-07: 24 players I believe

Hulk Flash (Mr. Nipples)
Hulk Flash (Obfuscate Freely)
Solidarity (unregged)
CRIT Belcher (unreggerd)
Truffle Shuffle (Unregged)
Didly Dizzle or whatever it is called (Deep6er)
Red Death (Nightwolf9)
UGw(r?) ********, played by Paul Lynch.

Shriekmaw
05-06-2007, 08:26 PM
How many players attended this event?

I believe the number of players that attended the Rochester GPT was around 30. Could someone please confirm this? Thanks.

Happy Gilmore
05-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Does anyone have results for the Delaware GPT on the 5th? Some of us were going to go but it started at 9 or something and we said, fuck it.

Phantom
05-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Finals
Aluren vs. Fairy Stompy

Do you know who won? Also, was it Blue Skies by any chance (In New and Developmental) or was it just FS with Standstill?

freakish777
05-09-2007, 09:53 PM
I believe the number of players that attended the Rochester GPT was around 30. Could someone please confirm this? Thanks.

I think the actual number was 25.

Do you know who won? Also, was it Blue Skies by any chance (In New and Developmental) or was it just FS with Standstill?

It was Janos_Wuryon (username here on the Source) if I'm not mistaken. In my second game against him I called the judge over after counting his SB to be 16 cards. I felt kind of bad about it, because it was probably the only way I could win that match, since that match up has got to be like 85% in his favor.

Anyways, from what I recall the list was something like:

Sea Drakes
Serendib Efreets
Dazes
Force of Wills
AEther Vials
Mishra's Factories
Standstills
Trickbinds (from the board maybe?)
Jittes
Mask of Memories
Flying Men
Cloud of Faeries
Sea Sprites (? Not sure on this)
Snow-covereds
Phyrexian Ironfoots

I felt like I lost to Mask of Memory (ie it did the most).

Phantom
05-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Yeah, that's definitely an updated version of Blue skies

Here's the old list (http://mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3954&highlight=blue+skies)

I always thought it was an underrated deck, but I can't really see running it now over FS, since speed and Chalice @2 seem very relevant these days.

URABAHN
05-13-2007, 11:32 AM
Yesterday in Rockville, MD

16 players, 4 Rounds of Swiss, cut to Top 8

Krieger with Flash
Obfuscate Freely with Flash (Top 4, Top 2)
Simon (unregged) with Flash (Top 4, Top 2, WINNER)
(unregged) with Flash
overlord95 with Landstill (Top 4)
(unregged) with Gro
nitewolf9 with Flash
Parcher with Gro

Shriekmaw
05-13-2007, 11:50 AM
It was Janos_Wuryon (username here on the Source) if I'm not mistaken. In my second game against him I called the judge over after counting his SB to be 16 cards. I felt kind of bad about it, because it was probably the only way I could win that match, since that match up has got to be like 85% in his favor.

I just want to make a general comment which I have found during my major tournament play. It seems like when players know that it is going to be a tough match or they are going to lose, they resort to any kind of rules violations in order to try to steal the match from their opponent.

The most recent example of this happened to me in GP: New Jersey playing sealed deck. I was 2-1 going against Morgan Douglass (a pro) and I smashed him in game 1. Then before we start game 2, he called a judge over to challenge my sleeves since they had a few marks on them. They were brand new at the start of the GP, but there were cheap which a lot of players had similar problems with the same sleeves. The judge that came over was Rich Bourque, which gave me a warning and just told me to change sleeves after the match. I proceed to beat him really bad in game 2, which felt really good since he tried to get a cheap win over my sleeves.

The main point is, if he really felt this was a major issue he could of challenged my sleeves before game 1, but he didn't. He waited until he lost a game and then challenged my sleeves. He clearly noticed that they had marks prior to game 1, but didn't say anything. This is where I have a problem with anyone, but more importantly pros since they try everything in the book to win if they know they are going to lose the match.

This is really sad, because I play the game because I really love it. Its a shame when people have to go to these measures to achieve victory.

hi-val
05-13-2007, 11:58 AM
nickrit2000, that is very common behavior on the professional level. Randy Buehler won a PT because he knew the rules better than other people and could rack up warnings on people and win that way. If you don't know the rules and operate within them, you'll be taken out by someone who does. If you run all foil lands in your deck with no other foils, expect to be called on it. If you have more warnings, expect gamelosses for it. Them's just the breaks.

Shriekmaw
05-13-2007, 12:01 PM
nickrit2000, that is very common behavior on the professional level. Randy Buehler won a PT because he knew the rules better than other people and could rack up warnings on people and win that way. If you don't know the rules and operate within them, you'll be taken out by someone who does. If you run all foil lands in your deck with no other foils, expect to be called on it. If you have more warnings, expect gamelosses for it. Them's just the breaks.

I'm very aware of the rules, thats why I'm more careful these days because I don't want to go out early in a tournament because of it. I just wanted to point out the general philosophy of most pros. I know its a part of the game, and thats why you have to be prepared when people try these things.

Sims
05-13-2007, 12:08 PM
But no offense, Nick. I understand the point you are trying to make, that rules lawyering to get wins is pretty low but common place in higher level events, particularly with Pro Points and lots of money on the line..... But in Freakish777's situation, if it were the case that the other players sideboard was in view and I could count more than 15 (or less than 15. barring a wish) cards, I would call a judge immediately... Regardless of if I was winning, losing, or if it was after the match. If my round was done and I was observing a match where the individuals sideboard was not 15 cards I would quietly talk to a judge, because the sideboard is a bit more integral to the mechanics of the game and how it could play out than how played your sleeves are. Yeah, someone could theoretically be cheating by playing with marked cards, but realistically sleeves break down over time through use and play wear...... Having a 16 card sideboard gives you an slightly unfair advantage.. Meaning you either left an extra card in your board as hate vs. whatever deck or you boarded 1 too many out and are running a 59 card deck, and I would call you on it as soon as I noticed it.

Sleeves, if they were beat enough, I wouldn't call a judge for to try and get a loss or warning on you... I'd just tell you that after the match you should either resleeve or consult one of the judges to see if they would think the condition of the sleeves would call for it. I'm not out to lawyer wins and warnings on people, but having a non-15 card sideboard in a Constructed event isn't cool.