PDA

View Full Version : [Deck]Death and Taxes

CleverPetriDish
04-17-2007, 02:28 PM
Ever since I watched in horror as my opponent removed permanent after permanent with Mangara, I have been hooked.

This deck has consistently performed for me. The newer versions are very good against other aggro control decks including both Goblins and Threshold. It has anti-graveyard hate built into the creature base. It is fast and disruptive. There are some minor tweaks that could be stand to be hammered out still, but most of the major selections are rock solid.

The argument against it has been that it folds to combo - and that is definitely true if they go off before your hate comes online. But when you consider that the hate comes online beginning turn one, what you are really saying is that combo is very good these days. The deck has good answers. They just aren't called Force of Will.

The argument for this deck has been that it has a lot of winnable matchups. None were really byes, but almost nothing was out of reach either. The biggest advancements lately have been the reinclusion of Umezawa's Jitte and the presence of Orim's Chant in the sb. Jitte shores up a lot of weak spots all by itself as busted cards tend to. The impact has been extraordinary, and this deck is finally has bonafide easy matchups against some of the decks that had hitherto been hard-fought. Most of D+T's disruption is far better against the control elements of aggro-control, but now you have better critter control. And Orim's Chant was the card that won the finals for me. Turn one Chant turning into turn two Sphere or turn three Glowrider is a ride to scoopsville.

Anyway, I won an online tournament I was in with me dormmates this weekend using this deck. There were 22 competitors and I faced a Belcher/TES hybrid in the finals.

This is the list I used:

3 Isamaru, Hound of Konda
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Aether Vial
3 Sensei's Divining Top
2 Umezawa's Jitte
2 Jotun Grunt
4 Silver Knight
4 Serra Avenger
4 Glowrider
3 Stonecloaker
2 Mangara of Corondor
3 Hokori, Dust Drinker
4 Rishadan Port
4 Karakas
6 Plains
4 Windswept Heath
4 Flooded Strand

sb
3 Tivadar of Thorn
1 Jitte
2 Jotun Grunt
4 Sphere of Resistance
2 Disenchant
3 Orim's Chant

If I can make Columbus, this is certainly the deck I will be piloting. Where can it still be improved?

Barook
04-17-2007, 04:23 PM
can you give a rough match-up breakdown for the most important legacy decks?

Happy Gilmore
04-17-2007, 04:53 PM
This is the list I used:

3 Isamaru, Hound of Konda
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Aether Vial
3 Sensei's Divining Top
2 Umezawa's Jitte
2 Jotun Grunt
4 Silver Knight
4 Serra Avenger
4 Glowrider
3 Stonecloaker
2 Mangara of Corondor
3 Hokori, Dust Drinker
4 Rishadan Port
4 Karakas
6 Plains
4 Windswept Heath
4 Flooded Strand

sb
3 Tivadar of Thorn
1 Jitte
2 Jotun Grunt
4 Sphere of Resistance
2 Disenchant
3 Orim's Chant

I think Kights of the Holy Nimbus would be strictly better in your deck than Silver knight. it trades with Nimble Mongoose (and lives if they can't pay the :2: ) it blocks faties and drains their mana, perfect for Hikori and your other mana denial.

Also, could we see some matchup results?

Zilla
04-17-2007, 05:09 PM
A thread already exists for this deck here (http://mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4972). I'm not seeing the need for a new thread. Given that it is still being developed and improved, it belongs in the Developmental forum. Feel free to bump that thread to rekindle discussion. This one's closed.