PDA

View Full Version : New player from MN. Greetings Sourcers!

TheMightyQuinn
04-22-2007, 07:26 PM
Hello everyone. This is my first post and introductory to The Source. I've been lurking for a long while and decided that it was high time I actually registered. I have a few questions I would like to ask, but first let me introduce myself.

I hope you don't think less of me for starting out by saying this: I have been playing Magic casually since Urza Block, and have not once participated in a sanctioned tournament. However, some time before Time Spiral was released I decided that I wanted to change that. Instead of just jumping into Standard, I began researching the various formats. Legacy is what I want to play (I shouldn't have to explain. I mean, you're playing it right?)

Again, instead of just going balls-out and entering a tournament with something that is sure to lose, I did more research. I've been reading up on the format quite a bit and feel that I have a good handle on it (at least, as much of a handle you can get without actually playing some games). Recently, I began playing on MWS. Its time for me to decide on a deck, put it together and starting playing in some tournaments!

This is where players in Minnesota can help me. I understand that the Monster Den hold Legacy tournaments, and since I live 40 minutes from the Twin Cities, this seems like the best place to go. Now for the questions...

1) Besides the Monster Den, what are some other places that hold Legacy tournys (preferrably between the Twin Cities and Rochester)?

2) How regularly are the tournaments at MD held?

3a) What is the general meta breakdown for Minnesota (more specifically Monster Den) like? Sorry if this is too broad a question.
3b) I read that Minnesota is "Ancient Tomb based". Is this accurate, and what exactly does it imply?

4) Obviously, Goblins is a strong choice, but how would decks such as Angel (or maybe Faerie) Stompy, Affinity, or Stax varients fare?

If any more related questions occur to me, I'll ask them later in this thread.

This site has been really helpful for me. I'm glad I came accross it! Okay guys, help me get started in this awesome format!

Citrus-God
04-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Hello everyone. This is my first post and introductory to The Source. I've been lurking for a long while and decided that it was high time I actually registered. I have a few questions I would like to ask, but first let me introduce myself.

Sure thing. Nice to have you here btw.

I hope you don't think less of me for starting out by saying this: I have been playing Magic casually since Urza Block, and have not once participated in a sanctioned tournament. However, some time before Time Spiral was released I decided that I wanted to change that. Instead of just jumping into Standard, I began researching the various formats. Legacy is what I want to play (I shouldn't have to explain. I mean, you're playing it right?)

My first sanctioned tournament was a T2 tournament a year ago. My first actual tournament was a horrid experience...

Again, instead of just going balls-out and entering a tournament with something that is sure to lose, I did more research. I've been reading up on the format quite a bit and feel that I have a good handle on it (at least, as much of a handle you can get without actually playing some games). Recently, I began playing on MWS. Its time for me to decide on a deck, put it together and starting playing in some tournaments!

Minnesota is unpredictable.... it's stupid how things work here...

This is where players in Minnesota can help me. I understand that the Monster Den hold Legacy tournaments, and since I live 40 minutes from the Twin Cities, this seems like the best place to go. Now for the questions...

Glad to. If you've been to Monster Den, I'm Melvin, the asian kid who always plays Threshold... if not, I'm playing Solidarity with 2 MDed Chants, and 2 in the SB.

1) Besides the Monster Den, what are some other places that hold Legacy tournys (preferrably between the Twin Cities and Rochester)?

Wednesday at 6:00 PM at Maplewood Shinders.

Usually monthly.

3a) What is the general meta breakdown for Minnesota (more specifically Monster Den) like? Sorry if this is too broad a question.

It's unpredictable. Usually there's some Goblins, Threshold, and Solidarity at the tournaments as a metagame staples. TES, Angel Stax, and Junk Pile lurk around as well.

3b) I read that Minnesota is "Ancient Tomb based". Is this accurate, and what exactly does it imply?

We had one Top 2 with Junk Pile, and our last tournament had Angel Stax (Might be just White Stax) in the Top 8.

4) Obviously, Goblins is a strong choice, but how would decks such as Angel (or maybe Faerie) Stompy, Affinity, or Stax varients fare?

Faerie Stompy is good, but you lose by mulling to 4. Angel Stompy is good, but you lose to the excess amounts of Combo and Chalice decks around. Affinity is actually really good, but you ahve to play AfFOWnity or some MDed disruption, and Stax is insane in this meta.

This site has been really helpful for me. I'm glad I came accross it! Okay guys, help me get started in this awesome format!

This format is kinda like T1. Pick a deck, and keep playing it. Chances are, it's not going to die off that easily. Pick something that isnt a metagame deck, like TES, Solidarity, Threshold, WUB Fish, and/or Vial Goblins.

tpnp
04-23-2007, 12:53 PM
Wednesday at 6:00 PM at Maplewood Shinders.

Don't forget Wednesday nights at Maple Grove Shinders as well. Dreamers in St. Louis Park also has Legacy every Saturday at 1pm. If the mods don't mind:
http://www.dreamersgames.com/

n00bas4urus_r3x
04-23-2007, 02:12 PM
I mostly play at Maple Grove (tournaments held every wednesday at 6:00). The meta there includes a lot of stuff: Junk Pile, RGSA, Burn, Thresh, Red Death, Solidarity and Spring Tide, MBC, Friggorid, Enchantress, Goblins, B/W Confidant, and others. The good players usually all have top decks built, or the cards for them, so nothing is out of the question. Melvin pretty much said everything there is to about the decks you listed, so yeah. They'd all work, and they all see play here. Just pick a deck you like, and if it isn't working, build it into something else that does.

gustoh
04-23-2007, 04:41 PM

If any more related questions occur to me, I'll ask them later in this thread.

It's always nice to see new faces... and i'll answer your questions accordingly.

Other than Monster Den tournaments mentioned above, Shinders is a Minnesota based card/hobby/news-stand store that holds Legacy tournaments on different days of the week. Most popular happens to be on Wednesday nights in Maplewood, MN. Other Shinders around the area have Legacy Tournaments as well but since I don't know when they have their tournaments here's a link to their site: www.shinders.com

"Big" Monster Den tournaments are held monthly. They get around 40-50 and the prize support is usually like 4 FOW, and duel lands. We usually get a post up when the tournament is like a week or two away.

And as for Minnesota being dominate with Ancient Tomb decks... that's false. Aside from a couple of nice finishes for a few decks with Ancient Tomb, the metagame is still dominant with Goblins and Threshold. Weekly tournaments usually contain any number of decks in the field but the top tables usually contain the two decks above.

Lastly it doesn't really matter what deck you're playing. There have been plenty of decks that have success that's not Goblins and Threshold. I've seen Angel Stompy, WUB Fish, Solidarity/Spring Tide, Stax, Angel Stompy, 43 Land, and other various builds do well in tournament play.

LT...

Citrus-God
04-23-2007, 05:39 PM
Lastly it doesn't really matter what deck you're playing. There have been plenty of decks that have success that's not Goblins and Threshold. I've seen Angel Stompy, WUB Fish, Solidarity/Spring Tide, Stax, Angel Stompy, 43 Land, and other various builds do well in tournament play.

Anyways, Gustoh happens to be Lenny, one of Minnesota's better Legacy players. He always makes consistent Top finishes at the Monster Den tournaments, and those tournaments are very competitive.

Anyways, he's got the whole idea. I dont really agree Angel Stompy should be in that list, but with the addition of Cataclysm, I think it's fine really. The rest of the other decks he mentioned are pretty good in the format as well.

Xero
04-23-2007, 05:43 PM
Anyways, he's god the whole idea.

Lenny is God. :laugh:

Citrus-God
04-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Lenny is God. :laugh:

lol.... I should lay off the Mango juice and Jalapeno chips shouldnt I?

Goblin Snowman
04-23-2007, 06:58 PM
The reason people say MN has lots of "Ancient Tomb" based decks is due to 2 high finishes by said decks fairly recently. For whatever reason, random Rock/Sui-ish decks were all over at the last Monster Den tournement.

n00bas4urus_r3x
04-23-2007, 07:02 PM
Perhaps if you got off your Ancient Tomb/Chalice fix we would be plagued with such abominations as Junk Pile.... :)

Citrus-God
04-23-2007, 08:06 PM
The reason people say MN has lots of "Ancient Tomb" based decks is due to 2 high finishes by said decks fairly recently. For whatever reason, random Rock/Sui-ish decks were all over at the last Monster Den tournement.

Wait... there were only two of those decks. Alec played Red Death, and Derek who plays at Maplewood was playing The Rock. There was also a discard deck, but that isnt Sui.

Also, Junk Pile is sexy as hell. I dont think it should be called Junk Pile though, and take out those Swords of Light and Shadow, they suck. Even I tried it, and I would much rather draw a Wasteland then recur a never-was-there dead Masticore.

TheMightyQuinn
04-24-2007, 12:16 AM
Wow, thanks for the replys everyone! I haven't had the chance to actually go to Monster Den yet ( :frown: ) but hopefully I will this weekend or the next, just to check the place out. Rather than play in the next tourny there (I may not have the right cards in time, don't know when it is) would you suggest that I simply watch to get a feel for what its like? After that I would start participating.

Maplewood is a reasonable drive for me, so I may have to check that out as well. The only Shinders I've been to is the one in the Burnsville area, and I think someone told me they discontinued their tournies. I don't know if this is true or not.

I've heard of Dreamers and the fact that they have weekly Legacy tournaments. How many people typically show up at this place per week?

I guess what I need to do now is some "soul searching" and finally decide what deck I want to play. For the longest time I didn't want anything to do with Goblins for some reason, by I'm starting to come around. Bah, I don't know what to think; there are so many incredible decks! This just might be the hardest part of starting out :tongue:

Citrus-God
04-24-2007, 04:41 AM
Goblins is a good deck in this format. There are other options as well that may be better, but really, play something you'll have fun with.

lynxcat
04-24-2007, 10:01 AM
I've heard of Dreamers and the fact that they have weekly Legacy tournaments. How many people typically show up at this place per week?

I'm actually curious about this as well...I moved back to the Twin Cities pretty recently, and I've been meaning to get back into the local tournament scene. I used to play at Dreamers, Monster Den and The Source, but haven't been there in a couple years. Because of work I can usually only plan to play on the weekends, so I'm wondering if there are usually enough people at Dreamers on Saturdays to make it worth the drive. I remember that the turnout for Monster Den tournaments used to be very erratic, like 20-30 one week and 7 the next.

beezy
04-24-2007, 11:04 AM
I'm actually curious about this as well...I moved back to the Twin Cities pretty recently, and I've been meaning to get back into the local tournament scene. I used to play at Dreamers, Monster Den and The Source, but haven't been there in a couple years. Because of work I can usually only plan to play on the weekends, so I'm wondering if there are usually enough people at Dreamers on Saturdays to make it worth the drive. I remember that the turnout for Monster Den tournaments used to be very erratic, like 20-30 one week and 7 the next.

The Source is garbage for tournaments, imo. Dreamers is probably most competetive although I have only gone there once. Monster Den is ok I guess, although I only go to Monster Den when I am home for drafting.

gustoh
04-24-2007, 11:28 AM

I've only played at Dreamers for Legacy twice. Both times the attendance was rather low like 10-20, and both times the meta was real janky. If St. Louis Park wasn't so far I'd probably attempt to show up more on Saturdays.

Nobody really plays at The Source anymore. I have no idea why...

And according to MonsterDen's site, May 12th is the next big tournament.

LT...

Citrus-God
04-24-2007, 01:08 PM
I've only played at Dreamers for Legacy twice. Both times the attendance was rather low like 10-20, and both times the meta was real janky. If St. Louis Park wasn't so far I'd probably attempt to show up more on Saturdays.

And according to MonsterDen's site, May 12th is the next big tournament.

LT...

Prizes at the Monster Den on the 12th are an Alpha Scrubland, 4 Tropical Islands,4 Force of Will, and I think another playset of money cards.

beezy
04-24-2007, 02:00 PM
Prizes at the Monster Den on the 12th are an Alpha Scrubland, 4 Tropical Islands,4 Force of Will, and I think another playset of money cards.

Excellent way to start off summer break...
Nice tournie at Monster Den

lynxcat
04-24-2007, 02:49 PM

My guess would be lack of prize support. Events were were generally well-run and pretty fun to attend, but I remember pulling in prizes like a tourney pack + draft set for 1st in a 40 +player event. If it still operates the same way, then I'm not surprised most players abandoned the store.

TheMightyQuinn
04-24-2007, 10:08 PM
May 12th, huh? I'll probably go just to watch games and see what the tournament scene is all about. Chances are, I won't have a deck made until after I graduate. I'll add some graduation money to my existing card fund. That way, I won't have to feel constrained by budget.

Citrus-God
04-24-2007, 10:41 PM
May 12th, huh? I'll probably go just to watch games and see what the tournament scene is all about. Chances are, I won't have a deck made until after I graduate. I'll add some graduation money to my existing card fund. That way, I won't have to feel constrained by budget.

Go burrow a deck from somebody. If you ask some of the forum-goers there I'm sure they'll lend you a deck, or even the basic community in general.

TheMightyQuinn
04-25-2007, 11:49 PM
Go burrow a deck from somebody. If you ask some of the forum-goers there I'm sure they'll lend you a deck, or even the basic community in general.

That thought never even crossed my mind. Are people really that willing to hand out a deck to someone they barely know? It would probably be safer to establish myself in the Legacy community at Monster Den before asking for cards. I want people to feel comfortable if they lend me stuff.

No one in my casual playgroup has the right cards to build a Legacy deck, so thats out of the picture.

Citrus-God
04-26-2007, 02:34 AM
That may be a good idea. But however, the community at the Monster Den is well.... somewhat condesending. Sure they dont know shit about Legacy, but from experience, a majority of the Monster Den crew is well.... arrogant and condesending. Only person I can think of that's awesome is a guy named Hawkins. He is by far one of the coolest people I have ever met at Monster Den. He plays Poker and Type 1 a lot, so he's emotional stability is very high, hence, he's not anal about things very much. But this is from what I've known of him. He lends cards to lot's of people, and he is very nice. If I would go back to the Monster Den, it's because of this guy usually.

You should start going to Maplewood Shinders. When you get there, just go around asking for a guy named Jeremy Zwirn. I'm sure he always has extra decks with him, and he would he's always willing to lend you decks as long as you give him your pack when you sign up (You get one free pack when you sign up). I know Lenny (Gustoh) and Xue (it's Mr. X I think) have extra decks with them too.

Goblin Snowman
04-26-2007, 09:33 AM
That may be a good idea. But however, the community at the Monster Den is well.... somewhat condesending. Sure they dont know shit about Legacy, but from experience, a majority of the Monster Den crew is well.... arrogant and condesending. Only person I can think of that's awesome is a guy named Hawkins. He is by far one of the coolest people I have ever met at Monster Den. He plays Poker and Type 1 a lot, so he's emotional stability is very high, hence, he's not anal about things very much. But this is from what I've known of him. He lends cards to lot's of people, and he is very nice. If I would go back to the Monster Den, it's because of this guy usually.

You should start going to Maplewood Shinders. When you get there, just go around asking for a guy named Jeremy Zwirn. I'm sure he always has extra decks with him, and he would he's always willing to lend you decks as long as you give him your pack when you sign up (You get one free pack when you sign up). I know Lenny (Gustoh) and Xue (it's Mr. X I think) have extra decks with them too.

I would lend out decks, but after having roughly 6 Fetches, 3 Moats, 4 Wraths, and a host of other things going AWOL, I rarely if ever lend things out.

beezy
04-26-2007, 12:43 PM
That thought never even crossed my mind. Are people really that willing to hand out a deck to someone they barely know? It would probably be safer to establish myself in the Legacy community at Monster Den before asking for cards. I want people to feel comfortable if they lend me stuff.

No one in my casual playgroup has the right cards to build a Legacy deck, so thats out of the picture.

IF I get back home in time for the tournament I can probably lend out a deck or so, but it depends on how long it takes to get from Mankato, to my house, then to Monster Den.

TheMightyQuinn
05-11-2007, 07:03 PM
I will be hanging around at the Monster Den tomorrow to watch the tournament. If you feel like introducing yourself, I'm the big-nosed kid wearing a gray t-shirt that says "Quinn University". Hopefully this will help me get some more insight into all this Legacy business :tongue:

Citrus-God
05-11-2007, 07:06 PM
I will be hanging around at the Monster Den tomorrow to watch the tournament. If you feel like introducing yourself, I'm the big-nosed kid wearing a gray t-shirt that says "Quinn University". Hopefully this will help me get some more insight into all this Legacy business :tongue:

That'd be cool. I'll be sure to say hi and introduce myself.