PDA

View Full Version : [Article] Budget Legacy - Chalice Affinity

Zach Tartell
04-22-2007, 11:50 PM
Link (http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/14049.html)

"Welcome back to Budget Legacy. The deck I will be discussing today is a special one, in that it's a unique member of a much larger archetype, but is by far the most successful of the class. Affinity has struggled to compete in Legacy, due to the inconsistency and fragility of typical builds. I actually played Affinity for a short while in 2005 before deciding that it was too vulnerable to hate, and that I could not accept the weak late game. I also wanted to build decks around more powerful manabases, that could more consistently support my favorite play in this format, Chalice of the Void. After years of being an incredibly strong play with many support cards, it has only been in the last few months that players are starting to realize how good this card is and attempting to take advantage of it, or at least have better preparation against it."

Shriekmaw
04-23-2007, 01:02 AM
It would be nice if your going to start a thread to give a little more information about the link, instead of nothing. I know your trying to be helpful, but some additional information would be nice.

Di
04-23-2007, 01:04 AM
It would be nice if your going to start a thread to give a little more information about the link, instead of nothing. I know your trying to be helpful, but some additional information would be nice.

Does the title not help, or do you honestly need someone to explain what Chalice Affinity is? Seriously, it's like speaking to a 5-year old.

As for the deck itself, I love it but it's really been overhyped. The deck gets absolutely destroyed by Goblins, and seeing how Goblins is predicted to take up around 1/4 of the Columbus field, it seems like a rather poor metagame choice. That is, unless you overload the sideboard with hate, which at that point you're better off choosing a different deck.

Machinus
04-23-2007, 01:19 AM
As for the deck itself, I love it but it's really been overhyped.

I don't buy into the idea that "hype" has a noticeable effect on Legacy, but even if it did keep in mind my goal with this miniseries is to suggest some cheap-er decks for people to play. The title is "Budget Legacy" so obviously my first priority is not to find the best possible choice for Columbus.

freakish777
04-23-2007, 01:39 AM
This article was an easier read than your recent Goblins analysis piece for whatever reason, although some parts concerning how the deck plays seemed a little obvious (Chalice + Affinity synergy, soooo good). I'm not sure it's something you should be cutting out though, detailing why something's in there is good for when things just don't click.

Di
04-23-2007, 02:07 AM
I don't buy into the idea that "hype" has a noticeable effect on Legacy, but even if it did keep in mind my goal with this miniseries is to suggest some cheap-er decks for people to play. The title is "Budget Legacy" so obviously my first priority is not to find the best possible choice for Columbus.

Oh I understand the meaning of the miniseries and I applaud you for doing so. However, don't you find it rather demeaning to the readers if you're pointing them to a deck that isn't a good choice - be it budget or not? I'm not trying to bash on you or anything so please don't take it that way, but if I would at least steer them towards something that has a better chance. That way, they won't go 0-3 drop and then start a Machinus hate club because the deck he told them to play did bad when it faced Goblins every round.

Also, I suppose hype was the wrong word for me to use. "Overrated" is probably a lot better.

Machinus
04-23-2007, 02:19 AM
Oh I understand the meaning of the miniseries and I applaud you for doing so. However, don't you find it rather demeaning to the readers if you're pointing them to a deck that isn't a good choice - be it budget or not? I'm not trying to bash on you or anything so please don't take it that way, but if I would at least steer them towards something that has a better chance. That way, they won't go 0-3 drop and then start a Machinus hate club because the deck he told them to play did bad when it faced Goblins every round.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. You say you understand the point of the column - ok, so it is a column that is restricted to budget decks. I am writing about what I think are the best possible budget decks. What part of this is demeaning? If someone is restricted to a budget I strongly recommend they read my column; if not, they can consult other resources to find the best choice. I'm not sure I see how this is negative in any way.

If you're on a budget and worried specifically that this deck is inadequate in the Goblins matchup, then why wouldn't you choose a different deck from this series? They will vary in matchup strength depending on player experience and metagame expectations, but I am trying to provide as many options as possible so players with restrictions can find something to play and actually go to this tournament.

I do think Chalice Affinity is a reasonably good deck, but I did state clearly that it suffers in the late game against Goblins and it has a hard time with hate cards. I am not trying to suggest that people play this deck over something else, I'm just offering a tournament-tested option for those players who don't have access to the more expensive decks.

Di
04-23-2007, 02:42 AM
I am writing about what I think are the best possible budget decks. What part of this is demeaning? If someone is restricted to a budget I strongly recommend they read my column; if not, they can consult other resources to find the best choice. I'm not sure I see how this is negative in any way.

Demeaning because you know full well that despite what you're saying to the reader, they will be going into the event with a poor deck choice. There are obviously going to be budget decks that do bad, but there are also some that are good deck choices as well. I just think pointing them towards a choice that you know will have a very hard road ahead of them is wrong. Obviously they could choose a different deck from the series, but I think it'd just be better to write about the decks that have the absolute best chance of performing well.

Machinus
04-23-2007, 02:49 AM
I think it'd just be better to write about the decks that have the absolute best chance of performing well.

Well I agree, but I think I have chosen those based on a true adherence to the "budget" criterion. If you like, you can PM me the decks you think I should be writing about, and I will tell you if they are among the ones I am working on. I am taking "budget" seriously, and there are still a few decks to go, so perhaps you will be satisfied at the end, but I don't think there are any decks that fit the description that I have left out.

Belgareth
04-23-2007, 05:29 AM
I really don't think a deck with force of will and chrome mox can ever be considered budget.
You could probably play a lot better if you have the budget for moxes and FoW's, also as much as I admire aFoWnity, it's not all that special (it shows up in europe a lot more so I have experience on this).
The biggest complaints by budget players are always Duals and Fows, hence wotc producing rav duals and pact of negation imo.
Most budget players come from extended in my experience, that means they actually likely have some extended staples, so maybe the moxes are ok but if you allow them you get on the slippery slope of allowing fetches and 75% of goblins.
A budget deck is probably burn, MG stompy etc. If a new player reads this article as budget and sees FoWs and moxes , they are going to expect good results and this deck is just not consistent enough to give them.

Just out of interest , what are these "true budget criterion" you have adhered too ? I apologise if I missed them in a previous article but I tend to only read bardo's column.

Zach Tartell
04-23-2007, 11:09 AM

Bite me, dick. Although Di apparently covered it already, what part of "Budget Legacy - Chalice Affinity" can you misunderstand? Completely unnecessary.

Also, I think that affinity is a good, cheap deck to play. W/o FOW's it's retail price is a grand (hold your breath) sixty bucks, at most. With them, and the chalices, we're up to (OMG) about 140, and with chrom moxen about 180. Which is slightly less than half of what I paid for my Beta Savannahs. And what you'd drop if you were buying the non-fetch mana-base for UGr thresh. So, yes, it's a budget deck. None of the "You need 3 Chains in the board or you lose to solidarity" or "Moat is necessary in this deck" or "Tabernackle really helps the goblins matchup." Just $80 for FOW's, and $40 for chrome moxen. ANd like thirty for ravagers, then chump change for the rest. CHeap cheap cheap.

I liked it. A good place for an extended kid to start and he can even just play normal afffinity and use diciples.

Edit: Also, you guys must remember, these articles are not for the seasoned Legacy vet. THey're more for the cuddly Standard kids who don't know what FOW stands for, or who have to ask what RTFC means.

Machinus
04-23-2007, 11:23 AM
Just out of interest , what are these "true budget criterion" you have adhered too ? I apologise if I missed them in a previous article but I tend to only read bardo's column.

I haven't published them but I think by the end of the series it will be pretty clear. The prices of these decks are sharply contrasted with the more competitive ones that have very expensive manabases on top of expensive and sometimes very rare cards.

Belgareth
04-23-2007, 11:44 AM
I still think that most extended players entering the format will probably have the fetches (probably most of goblins actually too) , so theoretically if FoW's are fair game on a budget , then swap chrome moxes for resets (resets are actually much cheaper than moxes here) and you could claim solidarity is a budget deck too ?.

Anyway without getting too far off track I was just curious what classifies as budget as the average standard manabase costs equally as much as a legacy one (don't even get me started on T2 zoo or extended domain zoo manabases). Most people when they think budget think mono colour deck with no cards over 6-8$ .
I'm just trying to work out which audience it's aimed at, but I'll watch the rest of the articles and see where you go.

Silverdragon
04-23-2007, 11:48 AM
I don't like that the original list is hidden in a small link (the word "tournament" in that one sentence) but the actual article is really good. You explained strenghts and weaknesses of the deck, you explained your changes to the manabase and you even covered the sideboard.
In my opinion this deck is definitely budget enough because it's cheaper than most Standard and Extended decks.
@Diablos It should be mentioned that although the Goblins matchup is bad it is far from unwinnable and the deck has a good matchup against a lot of other decks (much like Fairy Stompy). So even if Goblins is 25% of the field then 75% of the field will be other decks you may be able to beat.

TeenieBopper
04-23-2007, 12:08 PM
Personally, I think it's doing a disservice to give budget deck ideas for a GP. I mean really, if you're going to plop down $30 for a shot at winning five grand, you should probably suggest them to suck it up and build the best possible affinity deck, regardless of cost.

Bite me, dick. Although Di apparently covered it already, what part of "Budget Legacy - Chalice Affinity" can you misunderstand? Completely unnecessary.

Hypocrisy ftl.

You could have quoted the following:

I also wanted to build decks around more powerful manabases, that could more consistently support my favorite play in this format, Chalice of the Void. After years of being an incredibly strong play with many support cards, it has only been in the last few months that players are starting to realize how good this card is and attempting to take advantage of it, or at least have better preparation against it.

and then posted the link.

In short, perhaps it's better if you just let the author post a link to their own article. They do it better.

Oh yeah, and don't be an ass.

Shriekmaw
04-23-2007, 12:10 PM
I think the article does a very good job in describing the strengths and weaknesses of the deck with a good matchup analysis. I do realize that this deck is cheaper than most of the decks in Legacy to build, but if I was on a tight budget I would probably just build the traditional affinity build since you can get the whole deck under 50 dollars. Vial Affinity does have pretty decent matchups against most of the decks in the field with a 50/50 goblins matchup at least.

Happy Gilmore
04-23-2007, 01:05 PM
At first I was skeptical about Keg in the board due to the fact that it kills all your artifact lands/chalice/mox/thopter set to zero, but after looking over your list I notice that you have supprisingly few lands that actually get destroyed by it and the rest can be controled. Although the ability to conserve mana by running EE seems like a much better plan personally. From your article you talk about blowing Keg at one, something EE can do better and faster. Thresh post board can have access to Krosan Grip, Ancient Grudge, and other hate that makes running Keg not so hot. Well done on the article. And may I suggest that your next one be on Red Death, it really is not all that expensive to build.

Sinkhole:15-25
Negator: 5
Shade: 7-10
giant/ritual/anurid/bolt/duress/hymn/: practically nothing
Wasteland: 6-12
Spectre: 3-7
Chain lightning: 4-7

And of couse the fetches which run from 10-18, but since these cards are in most collections I don't think that price factor is all that relevant. With the exception of Sinkhole everything else is fairly easy to obtain.

Machinus
04-23-2007, 01:15 PM
it really is not all that expensive to build

The optimal manabase runs 8 fetches and 3 duals. On top of that the deck runs sinkholes and shades, and needs jittes in the board to work. It's just a little too much to fit.

Happy Gilmore
04-23-2007, 01:24 PM
The optimal manabase runs 8 fetches and 3 duals. On top of that the deck runs sinkholes and shades, and needs jittes in the board to work. It's just a little too much to fit.

Fair enough. Out of curiousity how much is CRIT Belcher and TES to build? What about that GR agro loam deck, or are you skipping that one because you already did one on Terra Geddon?

Edit: Enchantress is another deck that might be worth mentioning.

Ewokslayer
04-23-2007, 01:38 PM

Enchantress is incredibly expensive.

AnwarA101
04-23-2007, 01:39 PM

Enchantress is not a budget deck. This from lonelybaritone's list that is pretty expensive. Moat breaks the budget, but maybe there is some budget alternative.

2 Moat
4 Exploration
1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
4 Argothian Enchantress
2 Taiga
4 Savannah
4 Windswept Heath

Happy Gilmore
04-23-2007, 01:43 PM
Enchantress is not a budget deck. This from lonelybaritone's list that is pretty expensive. Moat breaks the budget, but maybe there is some budget alternative.

2 Moat
4 Exploration
1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
4 Argothian Enchantress
2 Taiga
4 Savannah
4 Windswept Heath

Hmm...yea...maybe not. WTF is up with Argothian and Exploration being so expensive? They are played in no other format besides legacy and in only one deck that rarely shows up. Is it because of the casual crowd? Also, I think Enchantress is one of those decks where you could go budget dual lands to some extent.

I am going to keep throwing ideas out there, eventually I will hit on something that fits.

Nihil Credo
04-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Rifter should not be too expensive, especially if you eschew Moat in favour of Humility (as you should). Unfortunately it's a bad choice for a GP that will see a fair amount of combo and Black-based aggro-control decks (Deadguy Ale in particular does a number on White-based control). On the plus side, anyone who was playing Standard with Onslaught will be already familiar with the archetype.

Rabid Wombat is even better in this regard, but even worse as a metagame choice.

Zach Tartell
04-23-2007, 02:13 PM
I remember when I was getting into magic a little under a year ago that bigbear102 (Matt Abold) advised me to purchase a set of dual lands, and a set of fetchlands, as my psuedo-first buy. While that is a horrendous cost to most people, it's probably the best advice I've gotten. Getting a set of beat, revised duals has made me able to play such a wide variety of decks. And then there are staples that you should probably look into if you're going to play any non-extended or standard magic, like FOW's, meddling magi (depending on what play style you have - these could just as eaisily be something like Chains and wastelands).

Over the past one year, I've proabalby put just under $2,500 into magic. THis does, mind you, include a second set of savannahs, Beta, a seocnd set of taigas, FBB, a bunch of asian replacements for Enchantress and Red thresh, and a bunch of stuff I thought I'd add to the format with like Pulse of the Grid (I was young). Magic isn't really a budget game, though I'm glad that somebody's looking out for new folks.

Xero
04-23-2007, 02:37 PM

2 Moat
4 Exploration
1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
4 Argothian Enchantress
2 Taiga
4 Savannah
4 Windswept Heath

You don't need Squee, and Moat is pretty easy to replace. That's probalby not optimal, but I think you could make the deck for less than $300.

Bane of the Living
04-23-2007, 05:24 PM
"Rafael Truchado took the central component of all my Stax and Tomb Aggro decks – Chalice of the Void at one – and built an Affinity deck around it."

So this guy looked at Angel Stax and was like "Wow great idea mighty Machinus, Ancient Tomb + Chalice of the Void is the most original idea I've seen. I want to build an affinity deck based of Machinus' invention of Tomb+CotV!"

"I have modified the deck somewhat, as I think the original manabase would be too inconsistent for a GP-style event."

I know, we should take Wasteland out of Goblins if we're playing it at a GP-style event because of whatever reason as well right? You gave no real reason for this change whatsoever. I presume you only needed to modify this deck somehow to present us with aspects of originality. Seriously, you even changed the deck name from AfFOWnity to Chalice Affinity, is this seriously to stop people from scratching their heads or again name something your own. Tomb/CotV Im sorry, Rafael Truchado was the one who brought this deck to life. Ill play his Wastelands and Ill take his advice till you take home a win with something other than goblins.

Ive gone 4-0-2, 3-1, 3-1, and 3-1 with the deck IRL. People should probably listen when Rafael and I when saying play wastelands.

Seriously, Islands in affinity......

You should mention this decks success lies in the ability to pilot it correctly unlike a forgiving lucksack deck like goblins. The deck needs to strongly consider all management of blue cards and mana sources which you didnt highlight much. For example, what times in what matches you should keep FoW as a counter or Mox food. When to play out your pitch card to apply pressure. Ect.

I feel by the way you wrote the article your changes arent well tested. They dont improve the goblin matchup which is the only negative matchup. If you can support more feedback on your changes Id actually be interested in hearing.

C.P.
04-23-2007, 08:11 PM
Bane's comment is a bit extreme, but I have to agree with him a bit.

I played the deck for a while and was constantly begging for the 4th wasteland. I know that some people tend to take the Wasteland as the weakest card in the deck and sub them into Cities or something else, but I liked it more then cloud of fairies.

I also have something to say about the name Chalice affinity, but in legacy the name changing looks quite common. so I'll say nothing.

Sims
04-23-2007, 08:24 PM
I dunno, I rather prefer Chalice Affinity as opposed to AfFOWinity. Easier to say and I don't feel like a sped trying to type it.

But outside of that I shouldn't talk cause I haven't touched the deck or tested any of it at all.

Bane of the Living
04-23-2007, 08:59 PM
Ok maybe I went a bit far with the claiming orginality thing but I really feel like the changes arent providing better results for the deck. The only thing I changed in the original list was -1 maindeck Jitte +1 Wasteland. It works perfectly for me that way. I dont see why he insists on changes to a deck that swept a 87 person tournament. Adding 2 Islands and lands that blow themselves up arent going to help the goblin matchup and thats the only thing the deck needs work on.

Machinus
04-23-2007, 09:37 PM
No really, I'm just writing articles for the attention.

Thanks for the insightful comments.

Bane of the Living
04-23-2007, 10:25 PM
I dont see why he insists on changes to a deck that swept a 87 person tournament.

Quoting myself ftl. But do you mind enlightening us? Its the only qualm I had with the article.

I enjoyed your Terrageddon article very much and dispite other people's criticism and my own, these are a better read than the constant flow of goblin documentary.

iOWN
04-23-2007, 10:42 PM
No really, I'm just writing articles for the attention.

Thanks for the insightful comments.

So now I can't decide if the best way to respond to an article is attacks on the author, fruitful asskissing, or constructive criticism. The first option seems to bring out brutal honesty (attention?! For serious??), the last is ignored or mistaken for the first, and the second seems to be welcomed with open arms. Let's try it.

Man, that was the shit! Best article since your last. Your writing is flawless and should never change.

No?

Sarcasm aside, I'll admit that I am enjoying this series. Exploring these deck types helps generate discussion on them, and the descriptions of these decks has been straightforward and well-explained. Especially in this article, as it covers a new and relatively unknown decktype, you did a nice job of threading out all of the synergies and strengths.

The one thing I was let down by was how the article ends. It sums everything up, but says "it has a bunch of strengths and a bunch of weaknesses" and doesn't touch on possible ways that would increase the decks resilience to the weaknesses that were presented. For example, Wastelands were cut from the deck, but without them to help the deck suppress the opponent from dropping sweepers, nothing new was added to keep that area from falling apart. Simply saying "race them" is the same as telling Goblins to race Tendrils. Just as Goblins has to use other forms of disruption to slow them down in order to be able to race, this deck has to be able to keep itself from overextending into a control bomb and losing the flow of the entire game.

Anyways, no Legacy article can go unappreciated, especially ones that can introduce new information to more than just people who are new to the format. Overall it was a good read and I look forward to the next one.

Machinus
04-23-2007, 11:41 PM
If you think "constructive criticism" means demanding that people write about whatever you think is important, then you have a warped sense of entitlement. If you want in-depth analysis of a specific problem, and you can't find it by searching, then you should probably do the work yourself.

Apparently, the concept of "budget" is new to many of you, but I don't accept the responsibility of explaining it. If you don't like what's in the article, then don't play the deck. Obviously, it's not for you.

And I am going to continue to be sarcastic and acerbic whenever people make the egregious mistake of thinking that there is significant attention to be earned by getting other people to read your thoughts on magic. It's disgusting when other people do it, but it's too ludicrous to take seriously when people who practice this method of validation accuse others of doing it. I'd prefer to abandon the entire examination than actually entertain suggestions so erroneous.

Happy Gilmore
04-24-2007, 09:29 PM
It just occurred to me that Angel Stompy is fairly cheap to build and it still has a lot of innovation left in it.

Zach Tartell
04-24-2007, 09:39 PM
I was really going to agree with this, but you need like three jittes, and two sofi's, and 4 exaulted angels, and... well, I guess that's it. It's not as cheap is normal affinity, nor even this, I think.

Happy Gilmore
04-24-2007, 09:52 PM
Actually I think it may be cheeper than the Chalice Affinity list, maybe. Either way...I think its probably the next deck that fills the requirement of being both somewhat reasonably priced and competitive. Although I have yet to see a list of Angel Stompy I like. My first inclination is to add very expensive cards in the form of Orim's Chant to the MD, which is not exactly budget :cry: .

Anusien
04-24-2007, 11:56 PM
In your next article, can you post a criteria for what you consider budget? Is it based on price, number of pricey rares, or just a general feeling (not to attack you here). What card availability (fetches, commons and uncommon and cheap rare staples) are you assuming? Personally I look at a list like that and see it as relatively expensive for people that aren't prepared to throw Stax together like you or I.

By the way people, if you want to link an article on SCG, at least include the front-page blurbs. We write them, so they're fairly indicative of the content.

frogboy
04-25-2007, 12:08 AM
I'm going to start liberally abusing the warn feature if personal attacks and catfights continue. Act like adults.

Zach Tartell
04-25-2007, 12:26 AM
By the way people, if you want to link an article on SCG, at least include the front-page blurbs. We write them, so they're fairly indicative of the content.

My bad, various Brosephs. Edited to be more sourcer-friendly.

Are any of you writer folks going to make it to Kaddy's DLD this weekend? I think that it'd be alot of fun to see an article on how the meta might be indicitave of the GP or something.

Happy Gilmore
04-25-2007, 07:10 PM
My bad, various Brosephs. Edited to be more sourcer-friendly.

Are any of you writer folks going to make it to Kaddy's DLD this weekend? I think that it'd be alot of fun to see an article on how the meta might be indicitave of the GP or something.

That might actually be a good article, giving a little insight into what the GP might look like.

Is Machinus, Bardo, Hi-val, or Anusien going to be there?

Bardo
04-25-2007, 07:32 PM
Is Machinus, Bardo, Hi-val, or Anusien going to be there?

As much as I'd like to write a 35,000 word tourney report, I unfortunately will not be attending. If I were like 2000 miles closer, and didn't have vacation plans in San Fran on the following Monday, I would defintiely go.

Also, the idea of the travel time + $$ to end up 2-2 makes me a bit edgy.

hi-val
04-25-2007, 07:42 PM
I'll be at the GP since it's in my backyard, but I'll be one more entity on the net waiting for the results from the DLD! It's bound to be really interesting and I can't wait to see how it unfolds.

MattH
04-25-2007, 11:29 PM
I was playing Chalice and FOW in Affinity before this format even existed. I am not joking either.

4 Frogmite
4 Myr Enforcer
4 Arcbound Ravager
2 Arcbound Worker
4 Erayo, Soratami Ascendant

1 Ancestral Recall
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Time Walk
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Demonic Tutor
4 Thoughtcast
1 Timetwister
3 Cranial Plating
3 Skullclamp
3 Chalice of the Void

1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
1 Sol Ring
1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mana Vault
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire

1 Darksteel Citadel
3 Underground River
1 Blinkmoth Nexus
1 Tolarian Academy
4 Seat of the Synod
4 Vault of Whispers

Created: Tuesday, March 09, 2004, 11:48:35 AM

4 Frogmite
4 Myr Enforcer
4 Ornithopter
4 Somber Hoverguard

4 Cranial Plating
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Time Walk
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Timetwister
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Windfall
4 Thoughtcast
4 Force of Will

1 Mana Crypt
1 Mox Pearl
1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Mox Jet
1 Sol Ring
1 Mox Ruby

1 Strip Mine
4 Seat of the Synod
2 Wasteland
1 Great Furnace
1 Vault of Whispers
4 Glimmervoid
3 Underground Sea
1 Tolarian Academy

Created: Tuesday, July 13, 2004, 9:52:26 AM

And no, it wasn't all type one:

// Lands
4 [MR] Seat of the Synod
4 [DS] Darksteel Citadel
4 [MR] Ancient Den
1 [ON] Flooded Strand
4 [DS] Blinkmoth Nexus
4 [R] Tundra

// Creatures
4 [MR] Frogmite
1 [MR] Ornithopter
4 [MR] Myr Enforcer
4 [MR] Somber Hoverguard
2 [FD] Trinket Mage

// Spells
1 [A] Winter Orb
2 [MI] Cursed Totem
1 [MR] AEther Spellbomb
1 [MR] Chalice of the Void
3 [FD] Cranial Plating
1 [NE] Seal of Cleansing
4 [OD] Standstill
1 [NE] Parallax Wave
2 [MI] Enlightened Tutor
4 [AL] Force of Will
4 [MR] Thoughtcast

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [WL] Phyrexian Furnace
SB: 1 [MI] Cursed Totem
SB: 2 [MR] AEther Spellbomb
SB: 2 [DK] Tormod's Crypt
SB: 1 [MR] Chalice of the Void
SB: 2 [NE] Seal of Cleansing
SB: 1 [TE] Hanna's Custody
SB: 1 [MI] Enlightened Tutor
SB: 4 [U] Swords to Plowshares

Created: Thursday, December 16, 2004, 3:28:43 PM

I win this pissing contest. Get back to work.

ninjabear
02-21-2008, 10:34 AM
I know many people don't like old threads resurrected, but it happens that while deck building, I ended up with a pretty similar concept than this deck. BTW, it's funny to see people fearing the avalanche of Goblins on Columbus, when Flash dominated that tournament (well, there was 1 goblin deck in the top 8 I believe, kudos to that valiant player!).
Could people, more than a year later, comment on the viability of this deck in the current metagame? I was considering adding graveyard hate in the main (let's face it, it's easier to find a deck that abuses the graveyard than one that does not use it at all). I don't know yet if the propper card should be Tormod's Crypt or Leyline of the Void - one is an artifact and supports my plan, the other one is not on-color and is not really sinergistic with the rest of the deck, but is *really* powerful (and might divert some disenchant/krosan grip).
Also, about the idea of adding black (even to the point of dropping blue? don't know) is that you could support some Engineered Plagues that help against goblins (mental note: are black goblins so heavily hurt by plagues?), the deck that happens to be on the decline (but never dies) and eats this deck alive.

Sanguine Voyeur
02-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Hypothetically, Chalice Affinity should be good in this meta. Chalice at one can throw quite a spanner in Thresh's works. Dragon Stompy could be a problem with its big people and tall man's curve.

The meta's pretty similar, except for more Tarmogoyf and less Goblins.

ninjabear
02-21-2008, 12:27 PM
Hypothetically, Chalice Affinity should be good in this meta. Chalice at one can throw quite a spanner in Thresh's works. Dragon Stompy could be a problem with its big people and tall man's curve.
In fact Dragon Stompy / Faerie Stompy are a kind of mirror match right? All this Chalice Aggro decks will find that they are near immune to Chalice of the Void (well, Chalice at 2 can hurt this deck, while Dragon/Faerie Stompy are immune to Chalice at 2 as well).
In fact, I believe this deck is pretty close (cousins? :P) to Faerie Stompy, but without those expensive drakes... there are many cards that "equivalent" in role among the two decks.

My guess is that Blood Moon won't be able to stop the Artifact Lands being Artifacts, so Dragon Stompy cannot hurt you so bad.

The meta's pretty similar, except for more Tarmogoyf and less Goblins.
And more combo, and Landstill is back to glory... and Solidarity is being forgotten... I wouldn't say it's so similar! One year ago, in my meta, it was difficult to find a Landstill player (being overrun by goblins make it an unpopular deck) but now, it's like: "hey, he's a landstill player, beware!".

SpatulaOfTheAges
02-21-2008, 12:41 PM
I know many people don't like old threads resurrected, but it happens that while deck building, I ended up with a pretty similar concept than this deck. BTW, it's funny to see people fearing the avalanche of Goblins on Columbus, when Flash dominated that tournament (well, there was 1 goblin deck in the top 8 I believe, kudos to that valiant player!).

This article is from before the implications of the Flash errata were widely known, if not before the errata itself, which is why you don't see much about the issue, and concerns about Goblins.

Sanguine Voyeur
02-21-2008, 12:59 PM
And more combo, and Landstill is back to glory... and Solidarity is being forgotten... I wouldn't say it's so similar! One year ago, in my meta, it was difficult to find a Landstill player (being overrun by goblins make it an unpopular deck) but now, it's like: "hey, he's a landstill player, beware!".High Tide was never popular (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6041), fast combo has always been around (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5348), and Landstill has been around for just as long, if not longer then, this deck.

ninjabear
02-22-2008, 06:22 PM
High Tide was never popular (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6041), fast combo has always been around (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5348), and Landstill has been around for just as long, if not longer then, this deck.

I don't know about your meta, or the American meta as a whole. In my meta High Tide *was* the most common combo deck to be seen (and probably, the most hated). Mainly, because it's cheap, and effective.
Fast combo has been around for a lot of time (Salvagers Game, Iggy Pop...), but now with Cephalid breakfast and Ichorid, combo is on the rise. That's just my impresion.
Landstill was one of the first popular decks played in Legacy (I remember a blue/red version of it), but it was falling out of favor, at least in my environment, and I think the reason was mainly because of a poor Goblin matchup. Recently Landstill has returned with a vengeance, maybe because of some lists adding Tarmogoyf, maybe because goblins seems to be on the decline. In fact, I know a lot of people who will claim it's a Tier 1 deck.