PDA

View Full Version : Legacy Port to Vintage?

Jaynel
04-23-2007, 06:43 PM
There's going to be a Mox tournament at my store sometime in May, and I think it would be fun to give Vintage a spin. From browsing TMD, it seems to me that the top decks in Vintage are:
Gifts varients
Fish varients
Long varients
Manaless Ichorid

What Vintage deck could I build rather easily with the cards that I have (see below). Or, what Legacy decks, with minor additions, could compete with these archetypes?

Is Oath still any good in Vintage? Is Dragon? Is Food Chain Goblins?

I have:
Oath of Druids, Forbidden Orchard
Food Chain
Goblin Welder
Sol Ring, Mana Vault, Mana Crypt
Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Mystical Tutor

And most Legacy staples (blue duals, fetchlands, Force of Will, Ancient Tomb, Swords to Plowshares, other random stuff).

I don't have:
Power
Mishra's Workshop
Bazaar of Baghdad
Mana Drain
Gifts Ungiven

I have 10 proxies to work with. Can anyone with some Vintage knowledge enlighten me and help me figure out which deck to play?

Machinus
04-23-2007, 06:45 PM
I can make you a solid oath list.

Pinder
04-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Last time I played Vintage, I chose to proxy manaless Ichorid, because it shares a lot of cards with Legacy Friggorid, and the rest are relatively cheap to pick up (at least they were).

Of course, I had Legacy Friggorid built, so it only needed minor modifications. If you don't have it, it might be more expensive. A nice thing about it, though, is that is uses absolutely no power, so you can use your remaining 6 proxies (after the 4 Bazaar) for anything you might not have onhand.

Bane of the Living
04-23-2007, 07:09 PM
I had a friend go 5-2 with a green blue aggro control deck sporting Trygon Predator. It was incredibly extended portish not even legacy. Give that dude a go he loves Moxes.

VsTheWorld
04-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Is it the Wizard's Duel doing this mox tourney?

bigbear102
04-23-2007, 08:16 PM
I took an almost Legacy legal gro/thresh list to GenCon and made top 4 split at the midnight $500 vintage event. I think the list looked something like this:

3x Tropical Island
3x Tundra
3x Underground Sea
3x Polluted Delta
3x Flooded Strand
1x Plains
1x Swamp
2x Island

4x Werebear
4x Nimble Mongoose
4x Meddling Mage
3x Dark Confidant

3x Chalice of the Void
4x Duress
4x Force
3x Counterspell
3x Daze
4x Brainstorm
3x Serum Visions
1x Ancestral Recall
1x Time Walk

SB:
3x STP
3x Energy Flux
3x Engineered Explosives
3x Tormod's Crypt
3x Something else?

The deck worked extremely well agianst combo, the same way it does in Legacy. Fish was reasonably easy too cuz Goose just smashes them. Make sure Jitte doesn't hit the table and you win that match 9 times out of 10. I didn't see any Ichorid, which could be a problem.

If you don't get proxies I played the deck -power +2 Predict I think. The deck did well in the actual championship event, it was me that sucked ass, like putting 2x Force on top with BS when I had a confidant out... and blowing Crypt BEFORE he sacced his board to Energy Flux against Stax ( with a welder out!).

It was really fun to smash vintage decks all day with a legacy deck, pretty good too.

Jaynel
04-23-2007, 08:16 PM
No, it's a store out in Somerset. Info is on the first page.

http://www.stillpointcomics.com/

kirdape3
04-23-2007, 08:45 PM
Get good at Manaless Ichorid. There's also a pair of quite solid Salvagers lists running around - one a U/W control deck and the other U/W/b aggro-control.

Tha Gunslinga
04-23-2007, 11:00 PM
My Oath list (http://teamicbm.com/2007/04/08/icbm-oath-strikes-back.aspx) is fairly good if you want to try that.