PDA

View Full Version : Remand vs. Flashback

tivadar
04-25-2007, 10:33 PM
If you Remand a spell played through flashback, how does this work? What's the timing on the removing from the game in "You may play this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then remove it from the game." So far as I can figure, it's one of the two:

You play the flashbacked spell
As part of playing the spell, you remove it from the game
Your opponent remands the spell
There's no card associated with it, so that part of the ability doesn't happen
The spell is countered and your opponent draws

The spell is returned to your hand
As part of the resolution, the card that would be removed from the game is no longer present, you keep the card.

Does anyone know how this works?

C.P.
04-25-2007, 10:39 PM
If you Remand a spell played through flashback, how does this work? What's the timing on the removing from the game in "You may play this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then remove it from the game." So far as I can figure, it's one of the two:

As part of playing the spell, you remove it from the game
There's no card associated with it, so that part of the ability doesn't happen
The spell is countered and your opponent draws

The spell is returned to your hand
As part of the resolution, the card that would be removed from the game is no longer present, you keep the card.

Does anyone know how this works?

The spell remains removed from the game.

Shriekmaw
04-25-2007, 11:23 PM
The spell remains removed from the game.

In order to play the flashback cost, you have to remove the card from the game. That card stays removed from the game when its played, remand at that point saids " Counter Target Spell, Draw A Card".

parallax
04-26-2007, 12:18 AM
The previous answers give the correct eventual solution but are not entirely correct.

The Remanded Flashback card will be removed from the game.

502.22a Flashback appears on some instants and sorceries. It represents two static abilities: one functions while the card is in a player’s graveyard and the other functions while the card is on the stack. “Flashback [cost]” means “You may play this card from your graveyard by paying [cost] rather than paying its mana cost” and “If the flashback cost was paid, remove this card from the game instead of putting it anywhere else any time it would leave the stack.” Playing a spell using its flashback ability follows the rules for paying alternative costs in rules 409.1b and 409.1f–h.

When you play a spell via flashback, the card goes onto the stack as usual. However, when Remand tries to put the card in your hand, it is removed from the game instead as per flashback's replacement effect.

cdr
04-26-2007, 12:31 AM
Note that flashback's replacement effect will only apply if the card is not being removed from the game when it leaves the stack - it will not affect Delay, for example.

Pinder
04-26-2007, 04:06 PM
Or Time Stop.

tivadar
04-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Ok thanks, I had a feeling you wouldn't get the spell back. I hadn't seen the official ruling on flashback, or that would have explained it for me (yay replacement effects). Thanks for the help.