PDA

View Full Version : Card: Flash, rules and correct text clarification

Meeee
04-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Does anyone know for certain if the new flash protean hulk combo works?

card: Flash 1U Instant

The Gatherer oracle text:
You may put a creature card from your hand into play. If you do, sacrifice it unless you pay its mana cost reduced by up to 2.

Starcities oracle text:
Choose a creature card in your hand. You may pay its mana cost reduced by up to 2. If you do, put that card into play. If you don’t, put that card into your graveyard.

Which one is right and does it let you flash in a protean hulk not pay for it and sacrifice it triggering its put into the graveyard from play effect?

Pinder
04-27-2007, 03:41 PM
I would go with Gatherer's Oracle Text before anything else.

And according to that text, yes, the 'Hulk Flash' combo works.

Tacosnape
04-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Okay, here's basically how it works.

Gatherer and Oracle are not the same thing, entirely. However, there's no true online posting of all the exact Oracle wordings that's public knowledge. Instead, the Wizards website redirects you to Gatherer.

This pretty much makes Gatherer take precedence until SCG or Crystal Keep jumps up and says "Hey, no, here's where you really find this information and Gatherer's wrong." Which isn't likely.

So right now, the combo works.

Flash being changed was not mentioned in this article:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/af127

Nor can I find any other indication of when Flash recieved its change. This means that most likely either the change was done quietly or it's an oversight on Gatherer.

Meeee
04-27-2007, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the response I did send out a message to wizards around noon today to see I could get a definitive word to make sure, I don't expect to hear back from them for awhile if ever. But if I do I'll post there response here and in the thread about the deck.

Cait_Sith
04-27-2007, 04:03 PM
Do realize that since that article was printed there have been a large number of erratas, many to end unfortunate combos (Voidmaw + Leyline of the Void) or to accommodate the new Comp. Rules.

cdr
04-27-2007, 10:33 PM
Gatherer contains the official card text for all cards. Whatever is in Gatherer is correct by definition.

Gatherer is updated the Friday before a prerelease, among other times.

With the Future Sight Gatherer update, the errata to Flash was removed, making it "work" well with creatures that haves comes into play/leaves play effects again.

Brushwagg
05-05-2007, 10:04 PM
10/4/2004 You choose the creature card, optionally pay its mana cost, then put it into play if you paid the cost or into the graveyard if you didn't. All this happens during the resolution.
10/4/2004 The "If you don't" text applies to the choice to pay (second sentence) and not to the putting of the card into play (third sentence).

Can someone (a JUDGE) clear up the above from Gatherer?

etrigan
05-05-2007, 10:36 PM

From what I understand, those rulings refer to the previous wording, and are no longer relevant.

Locutus
05-05-2007, 10:36 PM
As you can see on the date, those rulings are from 2004, when the old text was given to it to avoid such things as flash->rector. They obviously do not apply anymore, since they refer to an old wording and make no sense with the current one (especially the second one, which refers to an "If you don't" that is not even present in the current oracle wording).

cdr
05-05-2007, 11:59 PM

What's with the judge fetish? Anyway, ignore that garbage. And read the FAQ (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5687).