PDA

View Full Version : [KDLD III] 'The Polar Express' Steamrolls To Top 4

Michael Keller
04-29-2007, 12:51 AM
(A more thorough examination of the deck will be posted in the New and Developmental Forum or the Open Forum at the Mods' discretion in the next few days).

I'm really not going to go too much into details about what I did when I woke up and my early morning habits, because that's just ridiculous :cool: Anyways I arrived at the tournament with the rest of Team Darkness with my list already filled out and ready to go. I suppose most people thought I was running Red Death today because I had all the cards pimped out for it. I decided to axe that and try something a bit different. I was probably still considered a long-shot to Top 8 at such a big tournament with great players...but I've always considered myself a solid player no matter what. I'm always humble and respectful to my opponents. So when I arrived, I just kicked back and let all my preparation and experience speak for itself.

At any rate, here it is:

http://www.agirlsworld.com/rachel/hangin-with/pix/polarex2.jpghttp://www.adventureson.com/images/smallpix/IA/3516.jpg

"The Polar Express"

//Main Deck
4x Duress
4x Brainstorm
4x Force of Will
4x Lim Dul's Vault
4x Shallow Grave
4x Buried Alive
4x Reanimate
4x Dark Ritual
2x Sutured Ghoul
2x Krosan Cloudscraper
2x Polar Kraken
4x Bloodstained Mire
4x Polluted Delta
4x Underground Sea
4x Watery Grave
4x Lotus Petal
2x Swamp

//Sideboard
4x Hydroblast
4x Engineered Plague
4x Stifle
3x Pithing Needle

The basic strategy of the deck is to combo out as fast as possible with Buried Alive. It's really that simple. You have enough backup in Duress and FoW to protect any shenanigans your opponent might present. Simple reanimation strategy - backed by some of the most potent cards in the format. Most people didn't give it much of a chance at first because I flashed 'Polar Kraken' at some of my fellow Syracuse players, earning a big chuckle. But as time had proven: If you're a bad little boy, the only present you'll get from Santa is a ludicrous thrashing straight from 1995. I know some of these matches aren't detailed as much as they could be, but honestly, my matches rarely went past turn 4. I also don't recall what I ultimately boarded in against specific matchups, but against most Stifles almost always came in on the draw along with Needles - with the obvious Plagues and Hydroblasts against Goblins/red. So on to the tournament:

Round 1 vs. Cody (43 Land/LftL)
Game One: I open up with a nutty draw and get a turn 3 possibility of winning. But after seeing Cody mill a Maze of Ith from a LtfL dredge, I proceed to scoop as there obviously is no answer for that first game.

Game Two: I go off turn 2 and he has no answer.

Game Three: I get a pretty good draw with Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, Buried Alive....but no reanimation. I keep it and eventually have to deal with Chalice set at one. I can get around it easy...because I was going to Lim Dul's Vault into hopefully a Shallow Grave. Unfortunately, I plucked into 25 of my top cards and couldn't find it. By the time I did, he had lethal man-land damage on board. I lose.

0-1-0 (1-2-0)

Round 2 vs. Jon (Mr. Nipples w/ R/w Gobs)
Game One: I proceed to combo out turn 3. H ehas open Plateau. He tries a Swords. I Force. I win.

Game Two: He starts off with a hand that isn't too broken. I drop a land and Petal. I then proceed to Lim Dul's Vault at his EOT and nail two Engineered Plagues. I drop the first a turn later with a Ritual then turn three I drop another. He can't recover and scoops.

1-1-0 (3-2-0)

Round 3 vs. Greg (Nantuko Shady w/ Solidarity)
Game One: Greg is always a pleasure to play, a real class act. So, we meet again when it matters most. I go first and Dark Ritual out a morphed Cloudscraper. I beat for a few turns with some Duress backup. He goes down to about 11. After a previous Buried Alive, I decide to Shallow Grave my Sutured Ghoul. I only remove the other Cloudscraper - making him a 13/13. Greg musters enough strength to Turnabout my creature. So, with one card left in hand...I actually Reanimate Polar Kraken and take 11 damage - putting me down to two. He doesn't find an answer and I pay the cumulative upkeep and hit him for 13 - plus the morph.

Game Two: I combo out turn two and he can't recover or counter.

2-1-0 (5-2-0)

Round 4 vs. Brandon w/ Burn
Game One: He's playing burn, which is a match I never tested. I think my pre-board is pretty solid against him. I actually Reanimated off a Lim Dul's Vault and put myself down to four and won the game. He didn't have enough firepower and/or Fireblast ftw. I got it.

Game Two: I combo out turn two - and he can't recover.

3-1-0 (7-2-0)

Round 5 vs. Justen w/ Affinity
Game One: He dropped an Aether Vial turn one. I combo out turn 3 and his beaters can't match the might of a 26/26 trampler. Some of his creatures were also turned sideways to help.

Game Two: I can't recover from his early beats. Ornithopter with Cranial was absolutely devastating. I had Vault, but couldn't get it going enough to help.

Game Three: He drops a few Aether Vials and a Frogmite. I combo out turn four...and he has a Vial set at 2. He claims to have Atog in his grip to soak up alot of damage, but that to me was a serious bull shit detector. I Shallow Grave and swing for the win.

4-1-0 (9-3-0)

Round 6 vs. Matt (bigbear w/ Survival)
We I.D. and hope to make Top 8...it was tight but we felt it was the right call.

4-1-1 (9-3-1)

I wait around hoping to make Top 8. Once the standing are determined, one of the guys running the event handed me my set of Bolts I donated to ninth. I thought, "Oh shit". And he looked serious. But, he quietly snatched them back and informed me I made eighth seed. After running the gauntlet, everyone finally started taking full notice that 'The Polar Express' was in full force. I was glad to hear another member of Team Darkness made Top 8 as the one seed - A.J. Ryfun. Ironically enough, I had to play him next.

Top 8 vs. A.J. w/ R/g Goblins
Game One: I go first, and get the early advantage with land and two petals. A.J. Eventually gets me down to seven life before I Shallow Grave from a previous Buried Alive ftw. Whew.

Game Two: This game was a nightmare for me, because A.J. drew into two Crypts and for some God-forsaken reason I didn't board anything but Plagues in against him. I was shocked to realize that when I fetched and saw nothing. I had to hardcast Ghoul with Cloudscraper in the yard. he Crypts and eventually beats for the win.

Game Three: I combo out turn two and he has no Crypt.

5-1-1 (11-4-1)

Top 4 vs. John L. (Mulletus w/ his patented Survival build)
Game One: I didn't really have an overly sexy opening draw, but with a Vault I decided to keep anyways. He goes Duress, Therapy, Therapy, beats with FTK (offing his own Bird I believe) for the win.

Game Two: I combo out turn four with Force backup after I Vaulted and John can't deal with it.

Game Three: After resolving a Spore Frog and Survival things looked dim. I had Reanimates in hand to try and pick up his dead Survivaled guys. I might have changed the outcome ofthe game hadn't I not Reanimated Squee over E. Witness and then Genesis. I needed blockers and that apparently clouded my train of thought. John really had the advantage from the start in this one because I was put on the defensive.

5-2-1 (12-6-1)

So I ended up placing fourth and nabbing a set of Tropical Islands. Not bad for a deck with Polar Kraken :cool:. Ultimately, the Polar Express turned out to be the shocker of the tournament. But the truth is, I knew it had a shot from the beginning. That's why I decided to run it - because of the consistency the deck belts out. All in all a fantabulous showing for Team Darkness...and especially...myself and the Polar Express.

Props
- My brother first and foremost for discovering the deck idea from a few years back. If it wasn't for him I might not be posting this right now.
- Team Darkness for sticking together despite tremendous odds in the Syracuse metagame and the mix of good players from all around. Two of us made Top 8. We rock.
- My buddy Chris for helping me get the cards for the deck. Without him, I don't think it would have happened. He also named the deck after having a ton of beer.
- Matt A. for drawing the final round and placing ninth. You made out good though!
- Polar Kraken. No one else believed in you, but I do lol. 1996 Magic is where it's at, baby.
- Kadilak and Eli for putting together a good tournament. You can bet I'll be there next time. Piza was awesome, by the way.
- Anwar: Go go gadget FBB Badlands!
- 1996 Magic. I love you.

Slops
- Bryant for saying, "when was the last time you Top 8'ed at a major event :cool:. Never diss A Legend, youngin'...
- Bob: WtHell happened?
- Lands, because I lost to them round one and Mike (Mr. T) drew into about eight of them in a row in his match.

Other than that a solid showing and a solid performance by yours truly. I'll get more in depth in the next few days if anyone's interested. It's just kind if late and I'm really tired. In the coming days I'll post the list and strategies the deck uses and abuses. To quote "The Polar Express"...

"At one time most of my friends could hear the bell, but as years passed it fell silent for all of them. Though I've grown old the bell still rings for me, as it does for all who truly...believe.

Believe this: The Polar Express is tearing up the tracks, baby. Next stop...Columbus.

Getsickanddie
04-29-2007, 01:07 AM
Great job Hollywood! It was exciting watching you rack up wins with The Polar Express.

TeenieBopper
04-29-2007, 01:11 AM
"Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart, kid, and you'll never go wrong."

Grats on the big finish. Not gonna lie, when FakeSpam told me you were 3-1 with "the polar express" I was all like, "wtf?" And he was like, "It's reanimator. With Polar Kraken." I called bullshit. You beat the odds once again, and my hat is off to you.

Michael Keller
04-29-2007, 01:15 AM
"Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart, kid, and you'll never go wrong."

Grats on the big finish. Not gonna lie, when FakeSpam told me you were 3-1 with "the polar express" I was all like, "wtf?" And he was like, "It's reanimator. With Polar Kraken." I called bullshit. You beat the odds once again, and my hat is off to you.

Haha thanks man. The deck doesn't necessarily intend on reanimating Polar Kraken, just the Ghoul really. But I actually did reanimate it and swung for the 'W'. The main reasons for his inclusion are his huge ass and the fact that he's blue...hint hint.

EDIT: Sigged ftw.

Peter_Rotten
04-29-2007, 09:27 AM
ROFL! After all the shit Bryant tossed around, I'm curious as to what his place was in the tourney.

FakeSpam
04-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Congrats. It's not actually a bad idea. I suppose if you are looking at fatties you have no real intention of actually putting into play, Polar Kraken is a pretty good choice.

And it looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

Cavius The Great
04-29-2007, 10:41 AM
A Legend, you think that's badass, I have a Tooth and Nail deck that can actually hardcast Polar Kraken. I just hope you don't make Polar Kraken so popular that they'd sell out on online stores before I get the chance to build my Tooth and Nail/Polar Kraken deck. :wink:

NANTUKO_SHADY
04-29-2007, 10:52 AM
Congrats on the finish Hollywood, it was a pleasure dying to a Polar Kraken. Twincasting Lim-Dul's Vault and your Polar Kraken play were easily the highlights of our match. I like the deck idea alot, and I fully agree with you. Lim-Dul's Vault is highly under rated in Legacy. Keep on rollin', Colombus awaits. :cool:

hi-val
04-29-2007, 03:14 PM
I am consistently impressed and delighted with the variety of decks that perform well in competitive fields. Congratulations! It looks like testing, hard work and familiarity with the deck have really paid off.

I think I'm going to start a trend of naming decks after Tom Hanks movies now, like the breakfast cereal trend of before. He certainly has a wide collection...

noobslayer
04-29-2007, 03:15 PM
GET ON THE EXPRESS AND RIDE IT TO HOLLYWOOD!

The deck was a blast to see, and I love how janky it is. Congrats on the finish. Hope to see it at Columbus. Sad though that we didn't get to play. Would've certainly been interesting.

Di
04-29-2007, 03:24 PM
Great job Hollywood. It's awesome how well you did despite the constant bashing.

Also, just fyi, but you might want to look into some sort of removal or bounce. Your deck scoops to Meddling Mage -> Buried Alive.

Michael Keller
04-29-2007, 03:26 PM
Great job Hollywood. It's awesome how well you did despite the constant bashing.

Also, just fyi, but you might want to look into some sort of removal or bounce. Your deck scoops to Meddling Mage -> Buried Alive.

Was thinking about Wipe Away...the deck can support it. I really like the idea of Cabal Pit...going to try it out...

NANTUKO_SHADY
05-01-2007, 06:54 AM
Mike, have you ever found yourself mulliganing hands because you drew fatties in your opening hand? Besides Brainstorm ---> Fetch, it looks like you don't have a way to ditch creatures out of your hand before you cast Buried Alive or Reanimate. Have you considered possibly running Cabal Therapy somewhere in the MD? I wouldn't know what to cut, but it could be something to consider. Turn 1 Therapy yourself doesn't seem like a bad play.

Caboose
05-01-2007, 07:08 AM
I don't see how the deck wins. Some sort of Didgeridoo combo? :wink:

Congrats, although I honestly don't know how the deck wins since I'm too lazy to open the Gatherer.

NANTUKO_SHADY
05-01-2007, 09:54 AM
I don't see how the deck wins. Some sort of Didgeridoo combo? :wink:

Congrats, although I honestly don't know how the deck wins since I'm too lazy to open the Gatherer.

..... Isn't it obvious? You cast Buried Alive to put Sutured Ghoul, and two fatties (Polar Krakken & Cloudscaper) into your graveyard. Then you cast Reanimate or Shallow Grave and swing in with a HUGE Sutured Ghoul. Or in Mike's case, you can just Reanimate a Polar Krakken and swing in for the win.

Caboose
05-01-2007, 11:22 AM
..... Isn't it obvious? You cast Buried Alive to put Sutured Ghoul, and two fatties (Polar Krakken & Cloudscaper) into your graveyard. Then you cast Reanimate or Shallow Grave and swing in with a HUGE Sutured Ghoul. Or in Mike's case, you can just Reanimate a Polar Krakken and swing in for the win.

I clearly forgot what the Ghoul's CIP ability was. Anyways, Extirpate is a one-mana win against this deck? Not knocking it, I actually like it, but it seems very suseptible to hate.

Shriekmaw
05-01-2007, 11:47 AM
I clearly forgot what the Ghoul's CIP ability was. Anyways, Extirpate is a one-mana win against this deck? Not knocking it, I actually like it, but it seems very suseptible to hate.

I don't think you will run into Extirpate too often in Legacy. The only person that was running the card was Geoff with his Landstill build that also made Top 4. I think the card can be powerful, but I have to say its a niche card thats only good in certain matchups. There are other hate cards I would be more worried about in the format rather than focusing on just Extirpate.

I already suggested to Hollywood to cut Brainstorm and FOW, to have them replace with Cabal Therapy and Careful Study. I think that will add more consistency to the deck. I'm not positive if thats the way to go, but having extra discard spells seems like a good idea in a control matchup which is by far one of you tougher matchups.

I think The Polar Express is a very good deck, with a little tweaking I could see it do very well in Columbus.