PDA

View Full Version : Small Report From GPT STL

alakar
05-01-2007, 05:58 PM
Imagine, it is one week before the GPT, I think I’ve settled on a build of Uber Madness. I’ve tested it, I’ve learned it, I knew the deck. This was the deck; I’m going to get some byes for GP Columbus. Flash forward to two days before, my friend Allen comes over to do some finalized testing. He’s running an aggro rock port, with ancient tombs, birds, elders, swords, fatties, and other assorted good stuff. My deck had been performing well, until now. I lose ten games in a row. It’ bad, no matter what I do, I just don’t even come close. So I get discouraged, and pick up W/G/U thresh. It tests well, and I decide I’m going to pilot this at the GPT.

“Were about 20 miles outside of Cape Girardeau, and that’s when the drugs kicked in. I begin to see visions of pernicious deeds and angry lycanthrope bears being sent to do farm work. I enter a world where bad things can be stopped by shear force of will. Allen says we need to pull over. I says no, we can’t stop here, this is mongoose country!”

So I decide I’m going to play BHWC Landstill. I dig franticly through my cards, trying to put this deck together. Here is the list that I used.

Main Deck
4 Counter Spell
4 Force of Will
3 Stifle
4 Brainstorm
4 Standstill
3 Fact or Fiction
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Pernicious Deed
2 Chainer’s Edict
1 Disenchant
1 Crime/Punishment
2 Crucible of the Worlds
3 Flooded Strand
1 Polluted Delta
3 Tropical Island
3 Tundra
3 Underground Sea
1 Island
1 Plains
3 Wasteland
4 Mishra’s Factory
2 Nantuko Monastery

Sideboard
4 Blue Elemental Blast
4 Meddling Mage
3 Engineered Plague
1 The Abyss
3 Duress

Pretty standard, with just a few changes

1- I took out one Monastery for an extra basic land. I wanted a little more stability vs. Goblins
2- Crime/Punishment was another out for multiple Pithing Needle.
3- Chainer's Edict VS Diabolic Edict. The extra removal via flashback proved vital.
4- The single Abyss was supposed to be plague number four, but I couldn’t find it, so this was just a fun card.
5- 1 Polluted Delta because I do not own 4 strands.

On to the tournament. There is a mighty 9 people, which means four rounds of swiss, cut to a top four.

Round One- Sir not appearing in this tournament. I get the bye, and take the time to scout a little. The field composed of the following: 2 URG Thresh, 1 Affinity, 1 Boros Deck Wins, 1 Solitary Confinement Control, 1 Rock Port, 1 Ten-Land Stompy, 1 Trinket Angels, and Me with BHWC Landstill. Looks like most of my board is useless here as there are no goblins.

Round Two- UGR Thresh. Sweet! A good match up for me. I win the roll, and begin with land leading into standstill. A short period of killing mongooses and dryads, then man lands go in for the win. Game two. I try for turn two standstill, he forces, I force back, he forces again, so I decide to let it get countered. I play defense with man lands, and Swords Wee Dragonaughts. I keep his critters down with edict and beat with Monastery for the win.

Round Three- Colin with Trinket Angels Wow, if I knew what I was getting into with this match, I might have played something else, just to stem the bleeding. This match went only one game, and I won with three cards left in my library. The early game was all about stopping silver knight and grunt beat down. The midgame we fought over board position, such as my man lands and his trinket mages, meddling mages, and Serra Avengers. Spells were counters. Men were swords. Deeds were popped. In the late game, it was about countering Pulse of the Fields so my last two factories could finish the job.

Round Four- Brian with Boros. Were both in, so we draw.

Top four round one- Stompy. Game one, I stabilize using multiple deeds, and countering his game winning threats. Game two is fairly easy, deeds, plows, then win.

Finals- Colin with Trinket Angels again. NOOOOOOOO! These three matches take a better part of two hours. Game one I win dealing the last three point of damage with no cards left in my library. This was an hour long game. Game two, I get beat down in 15 minutes, and a slight ply error on my part lost me the game. I brainstormed using my only source of green, drawing into Crime/Punishment. Game three sees him draw all three Trinket mages, and multiple pithing needles. I lose to Mages and Needles.

I liked the way the deck played. I would recommend it to anyone that still had a GPT left. It was a small trial, but I really believe that this deck can win people some byes. For those of you that are curious, the top four consisted of Boros, Stompy, Trinket Angels, and BHWC landstill. Good luck in Columbus Collin. On the plus side I pulled a Damnation and two Extirpate out of my packs, on top of some other trade goodies!