PDA

View Full Version : Quick Nix question

Aggro_zombies
05-03-2007, 12:48 AM
http://ww2.wizards.com/gatherer/CardDetails.aspx?&id=130564

Okay, if my opponent has Orim's Chant imprinted on a stick, and he activates said stick and then pays the kicker cost, can I Nix the Chant? Technically, no mana was spent to play the spell proper...but then the kicker cost required mana...help?

Tacosnape
05-03-2007, 04:00 AM
Okay, if my opponent has Orim's Chant imprinted on a stick, and he activates said stick and then pays the kicker cost, can I Nix the Chant? Technically, no mana was spent to play the spell proper...but then the kicker cost required mana...help?

The kicker is part of the casting cost of the spell. Therefore, if and only if the kicker cost was paid, you can't Nix the Orim's Chant in this situation. One white was paid for the kicker.

If an ordinary spell is played from Isochron Scepter, however, it is completely vulnerable to Nix, as you spend the mana to play the activated ability of Isochron Scepter, which then allows you to play the copy of the imprinted spell card without paying its mana cost.

502.21a Kicker is a static ability that functions while the spell is on the stack. “Kicker [cost]” means “You may pay an additional [cost] as you play this spell.” The phrase “Kicker [cost 1] and/or [cost 2]” means the same thing as “Kicker [cost 1], kicker [cost 2].” Paying a spell’s kicker cost(s) follows the rules for paying additional costs in rules 409.1b and 409.1f–h.

409.1b (Snipped for Length/Relevance)
If the spell or ability has alternative, additional, or other special costs (such as buyback, kicker, or convoke costs), the player announces his or her intentions to pay any or all of those costs (see rule 409.1f)

409.1f The player determines the total cost of the spell or ability. Usually this is just the mana cost (for spells) or activation cost (for abilities). Some cards list additional or alternative costs in their text, and some effects may increase or reduce the cost to pay. Costs may include paying mana, tapping permanents, sacrificing permanents, discarding cards, and so on. The total cost is the mana cost, activation cost, or alternative cost, plus all cost increases and minus all cost reductions. Once the total cost is determined, it becomes “locked in.” If effects would change the total cost after this time, they have no effect.