PDA

View Full Version : [Report] GPT Rochester - Top 8

Nightmare
05-07-2007, 09:10 AM
GPT Rochester had a relatively awful turnout of 25 people. At this point, not too many people from Syracuse can go to Columbus, and some of them who can had to work.

I played Hulk Flash, along with 5 other players. There were at least as many decks tuned to beat it, including:
2 UGw Thresh
1 UGwr Thresh
1 Red Death with MD Extirpate
1 Blue Skies (Fish)
1 UBW Fish with MD Leyline

Not to mention the RIT guys playing Goblins with Leyline Maindecked, and the 2 belcher players with Leyline in the board. I was the only Flash player to top 8, but the deck warped this metagame, for sure.

List Withheld by request.

Round 1 - John Pae (unregged) - Mantle Affinity
Newish player, he was basically a session in goldfishing. He definately wan't familiar with the combo, or really many of the cards I was using.

Game 1 - Comboed out on turn 2 with no disruption.
Game 2 - I keep a zero land, lotus petal hand on the draw, and draw ESG then land. I Merchant scroll for FoW backup, and go off turn 3. He tries to Remand the Flash, I Force.

Round 2 - Jeff Folinus (Gekoratel) - Goblins/G with MD Leyline
Game 1 - He opens with Leyline, which I have an answer to in Chain of Vapor. I need to Worldly for Hulk, so I fetch out a Trop with one in hand. I need him to not have 2 Wastelands, and of course he does. I don't draw another mana source, and lose.
Game 2 - He opens with Leyline, I have an answer. I win turn 2.
Game 3 - He opens with Leyline, I have an answer again. Turn two he goes for Chalice at 1, I Force. Turn 3 he goes for another, I bounce Leyline in response. Eventually I have a Marauder beating for 1, he has a Warchief and something else swinging in as well. On the last possible turn I have, I topdeck Flash and win.

Round 3 - Phil Stolze (legacyplayer0) - Aluren
Game 1 - I draw 2 Worldly Tutors, and 2 Protean Hulks, but no Flash, and no way to get one.
Game 2 - I make poor sideboarding choices, including siding out 2 Worldly Tutors. I draw 3 Flashes, and zero Protean Hulks.

Round 4 - David Elrod (Freakish777) - CRET Belcher
Game 1 - He starts to go off on turn 1, I force his Seething Song making him burn for 1 and win on my turn 2.
Game 2 - He opens with Leyline (in Belcher? See what I mean about hate?) We both play the actual beatdown role here, he's swinging with a SSG, I have a 2/2 Marauder cracking back. Eventually I make a 3/3 wall, but he finds his Belcher and wins.
Game 3 - No Leyline this game, but he Land Grants Turn 1 with Wish, DRit, LED, Rite, Petal. He goes for it (I have no Force), and ramps up to 6 mana and BWish on the stack. He gets Infernal Tutor, and goes for Belcher with only a land in play. I think the right play there is Warrens, and winning in two turns, but I have the means to combo before then anyway, if I can draw a mana source. I Brainstormed, and hat to Mystical (fail to find) to clear the chaff. I draw a land, play it, and hope he doesn't draw LED or DRit. He draws a Rite of Flame (Bayou in play), and I win.

Round 5 - Matt Denham - UGw Thresh
I'm paired down with the player at 7 points, meaning I can't draw in. If he wins, he can make top 8, which means he wouldn't just scoop me in. Forced to play it out vs. a terrible matchup.
Game 1 - is a blowout. He gets all the disruption and all the right creatures. MD Meddling Mage + Stifle is a beating.
Game 2 - I open with Leyline after mulling to 5, keeping a no lander with the combo and a Xantid Swarm. He's forced to Force Xantid when I draw land turn 2, and then has nothing to follow it up with when I combo.
Game 3 - No Leyline, but a good grip anyway. I manage to combo out before he can drop Mage, but he stops me. I then get myself a Massacre, and clear his disruption to win.

Top 8 - Shane somethingorother - UGrw Thresh
I tried to get him to give me the win, since he's not entirely sure he's going to Columbus and he has a difficult matchup with everyone else in the top 8. He insists that he's got a good shot, and makes me play it out.
Game 1 - I combo out on turn 2 with Force backup, he has Force and Stifle. No recovery.
Game 2 - I combo out on turn 2 with Force backup, he has Daze and Stifle. I have Worldly still, so I get the combo running again. He drops Mage. I draw Flash, and I have Merchant Scroll. I scroll for Mystical, Mystical for Massacre during my upkeep and cast it. He has 3 cards in grip, which are Force, Force, and Stifle. WTF. It must be pretty awesome to rip all 4 Forces and both Stifles every game. I wish I was that good at Magic.
My opponent then proceeds to play vs. Jason Merwin in the Semis and name Patron Wizard with Meddling Mage. Sweet.

So, I get 7 packs, which contain nothing relavant, and go home extremely miffed. Merwin commented during the semi match, "Adam is seething in anger right now. I can see it in his eyes!" Too true. However, I may have earned myself 1 bye with this and Kadi's together, so it may not be a complete loss.

Top 8 was:

Phil Stolze (Aluren) def. Jeff Folinus (Gob/G)
Shane (UGwr Thresh) def. Adam Barnello (Hulk Flash)
Jason Merwin (Skies) def. David Elrod (Belcher)
Nick Wowelko (Belcher) def. Guy I Don't Know (43land.dec)

Phil def. Nick
Jason def. Shane

Jason def. Phil for the byes.

Ewokslayer
05-07-2007, 10:03 AM
Round 3 - Phil Stolze (legacyplayer0) - Aluren
Game 1 - I draw 2 Worldly Tutors, and 2 Protean Hulks, but no Flash, and no way to get one.
Isn't that a hand you should mulligan?

How is your list against Threshold?
You seem to be having problems against it from your report.

Nightmare
05-07-2007, 10:09 AM
Isn't that a hand you should mulligan?

How is your list against Threshold?
You seem to be having problems against it from your report.I didn't start with those in hand, I continually drew the wrong half of the combo, same with game 2. It didn't help when Phil Intuitioned for Therapy.

I'm still having a difficult time consistantly dealing with Stifle/Trickbind. Aside from that, Thresh isn't that bad.

Gekoratel
05-07-2007, 10:29 AM
The thresh player you went against in round 5 was Matt Denham, he's a solid fish player thats part of RIT. Shane goes to RIT but he's not part of our team, sorry about the bad beats in the T8. I'll see you at Columbus hopefully you snag 1 bye, I have feeling going 4-2 isn't going to be enough for me to get 2 byes but we'll see.

Nightmare
05-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Thanks Jeff! At this point, life seems to be catching up to me so Columbus may not be in the cards (heh), but I'll be doing my damnedest to get there.

Mulletus
05-07-2007, 12:00 PM
That tourney was fun. I was the only survival deck there. And I went undefeated. 2-0 drop. I beat TES and the thresh deck that beat MrNightmare, then dropped.

Janos_Wuryon
05-07-2007, 02:19 PM
I Think that adam underplays my comment about his seething anger. To clarify the look of burning rage came shortly on the heals of my opponent not stopping my lone flying threat with a force because he thought I had the disrupt to counter back!! Then after being beaten in the head by efreets and drakes he confidantly ruins my master plan by calling patron wizard. Well Good call for the loss. Maybe next time my opponent drops a mage he should call merfolk assasin in case his opponent in power playing the warbarge combo..

Guy I Don't Know
05-07-2007, 03:55 PM
The Deck is called Hot Cocoa and Dave Elrod still needs to bow down to me for making top 8.

freakish777
05-07-2007, 04:01 PM
The Deck is called Hot Cocoa and Dave Elrod still needs to bow down to me for making top 8.

You still got blown out by the same deck I was playing in the T8.

Gekoratel
05-07-2007, 04:06 PM
He did T8 with Lands in a meta that was around 50% combo that is quite a feat IMO.

Nightmare
05-07-2007, 04:08 PM
3 decks can win;
Combo
Combo hate
Hate for the combo hate

What were his matchups? Where is his report?

Eldar
05-07-2007, 06:52 PM
I Think that adam underplays my comment about his seething anger. To clarify the look of burning rage came shortly on the heals of my opponent not stopping my lone flying threat with a force because he thought I had the disrupt to counter back!! Then after being beaten in the head by efreets and drakes he confidantly ruins my master plan by calling patron wizard. Well Good call for the loss. Maybe next time my opponent drops a mage he should call merfolk assasin in case his opponent in power playing the warbarge combo..

Hey Shane Kelley here so let us just clarify a few things before you flame the hell outta me here. Well number 1 I went to time twice earlier in the day meaning I didn't have time to see your deck unlike you who I am sure saw mine in one of those 2 occurrences and the fact of the lucksack belcher into top land bayou which I know you had to have heard about or saw yourself. Secondly, I cast portent on you in my turn leaving land, disrupt, and a 1/1 blue pro red (name is escaping me) on top of your deck. You didn't shuffle after that so when I had 5 mana open and force in hand I wasn't about to waste my FoW and let you draw a card and have your spell resolve so cut me some slack. Third, maybe I should have called something more definite like equipment or brainstorm since I didn't have one in hand I wasn't sure so I picked a random card that if it was in your deck would wreck my low mana count. Fourth, I could have won game 1 assuming you didn't have a second force or misdirection to counter my 2nd force if I had cast it but I didn't for an unknown reason possibly the 2 hours of sleep I had the previous night. As I am sure you noticed game 2 I called jitte and a flier followed by a needle on your empyrial plate so it wasn't that I couldn't call it was just I simply had no idea what was in your deck. Also I may have gotten insanely lucky against you Adam and I can't help it that I did but it happens to everyone even you top decked a flash when you were about to lose to win a match earlier so what can I say it happens to all of us. Ask any of my friends from home they have seen me when I draw 8 straight land after keeping a 3 lander and lose because of it. I'm sorry I didn't give you the win but I honestly don't think you would have won against sea stompy either with the trickbinds he was running sideboard unless you turn 1ed him. Ahhh well good deck and I hope we both manage to make it to Columbus. :smile:

troopatroop
05-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Omg. Patron wizard... I'm Rofling...

Maybe his opponent expected Thunder Bluff.

NANTUKO_SHADY
05-07-2007, 07:47 PM
Shane... I gotta ask you. Why in the hell did you keep that hand against the Fish player game 2? I believe it was. It was like 3x Meddling Mage, Fetch, Stifle, and two randoms. You did proceed to draw two lands in a row, but still, especially against fish, you dodged a bullet right there.

Eldar
05-07-2007, 07:52 PM
Um that was not game 2 I sided stifles out. It may have been game 1 and the reasoning was that if I drew decently a triple mage hand against a mono blue deck with almost no removal could be brutal but unfortunately I didn't know what to call. If it was game 2 the stifle was different and I know that I had that 3x mage hand with like 2x daze and a cantrip so I had a few turns seeing as I figured his deck was fast that I could get away with just dazing and not missing a land drop anyway and hoping to draw into something I am not exactly sure. As I said I was running off almost no sleep and the energy drink I drank early in the day may have worn off but aside from that I really can't say.

Ta Jugs
05-07-2007, 08:03 PM
The Deck is called Hot Cocoa and Dave Elrod still needs to bow down to me for making top 8.Go Dave, Hot Cocoa is INSANE!

Soto
05-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Does Extirpate won Protean Hulk before it resolves its gy ability?

Gekoratel
05-07-2007, 08:07 PM
I dunno, Lands seems like a really bad meta call for the expected GP metagame. Then again Goblins isn't a great choice either but odds are I'll be running that deck regardless. I feel bad for my teammate Trembly he played Ichorid in T1 and got hated out by Leyline. Now he switched to Reanimator which was good for awhile but now everyone is packing Leyline and his deck got splashed out of the meta.

BTW who in the Rochester crew is planning on going to the GPT in Canada, I'm not sure how much I want to go but if some other people are going I may try to tag along.

With the trigger on the stack when Hulk is in the yard you can Extirpate but I don't think removing Hulks is gonna help unless you can stop the trigger somehow.

Eldar
05-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Yeah if I can get some more cash I wouldn't mind hitting up another GPT keep me in the loop for it. I'm pretty sure hulk will still go off through extirpate but once it hits if you are running the disciple version you need to bring it back and you can stop it before it comes back, however the other versions running kiki and such don't need it to come back to my knowledge.

TorpidNinja
05-07-2007, 08:28 PM
You're thinking about the trick you could play against Rector-esque triggers which require Rector to be removed from the game after it hits the graveyard. In that instance Rector does nothing. But Hulk simply needs to hit the graveyard from play to trigger; removing him from play after the ability triggers doesn't mean much without a Stifle for the ability.

Shriekmaw
05-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Thanks Jeff! At this point, life seems to be catching up to me so Columbus may not be in the cards (heh), but I'll be doing my damnedest to get there.

Lets us know what is going on for the GP Adam. I'm sure between all the players from Syracuse that want to go, we should be able to arrange a way where everyone that wants to go will be able to go.

I thought Hulk Flash was a great choice to take to the tournament. If I had the cards I would of played the deck. I didn't so I played the second best combo deck (in my opinion) at the tournament.

It was a fun tournament and maybe next time around I'll be able to beat Threshold a few times.

freakish777
05-07-2007, 09:14 PM
BTW who in the Rochester crew is planning on going to the GPT in Canada, I'm not sure how much I want to go but if some other people are going I may try to tag along.

Dave Price was talking about it, I'd be interested in going as well.

Janos_Wuryon
05-09-2007, 12:50 AM
Hey first things first I wasnt trying to flame anyone personally, I wouldnt do that. Second the play mentioned was about the most unbelievable thing ever, how bout mage for I dont know???? Serendib, sea drake, any other threat you catn handle. What ever the reason it was bad and only stood to make the frustration on adam's face that much more humorous.. As for seeing your deck, well..... I never really bothered to watch any match you were in as I had friends playing and watched there matches secondly I wouldnt have to look at your matches to know your deck. Ive read dozens of list of it only where you diligently copied it from. And finally before you claim exhaustion as a factor know this, I work nights and my days prior to sunday were as follows, saturday magic till 8pm, sleep till 1opm work from 1130pm to 8am drive to rochester play magic all day.

freakish777
05-09-2007, 02:29 AM
As a quick last thought on this from me, I think Leyline of the Void in the SB of Belcher was fine, there's really only two decks in the format that Belcher has to worry about fishing a faster kill than it, and those are IGGy and Hulk Flash, both of which should hopefully be shut down long enough by Leyline for Belcher to put together mana and a win condition. Without Hulk Flash in the format, IGGy probably doesn't have enough merit to include the Leylines since Belcher and IGGy are about the same speed (so it's going to come down to winning the die roll, opening hands and mulliganning decisions), Hulk might be a little faster, it might be the same speed, but it gets to do so with Force of Will.

The 7 cards I brought in were 3 Blasts and 4 Leylines.

dre4m
05-09-2007, 01:05 PM
You're thinking about the trick you could play against Rector-esque triggers which require Rector to be removed from the game after it hits the graveyard. In that instance Rector does nothing. But Hulk simply needs to hit the graveyard from play to trigger; removing him from play after the ability triggers doesn't mean much without a Stifle for the ability.

Extirpating him will stop the Kiki-Karmic Guide version from going off, though.

Mulletus
05-09-2007, 03:11 PM
I think the worst part about adam losing to the patron wizard is it dropped him under 1800.

Nightmare
05-09-2007, 03:24 PM
No, it didn't. Losing to him didn't effect my rating, from what I can see. However, the event on Saturday had better be sanctioned, and someone had better let me go 1-0 drop or I'm gonna be pissed. 1796. What the fuck is that?

Edit - Colin, too. How do you end up 4 points short? Oh well. Cracked top 10 in Syracuse.

Edit 2 - FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Shriekmaw
05-09-2007, 05:48 PM
No, it didn't. Losing to him didn't effect my rating, from what I can see. However, the event on Saturday had better be sanctioned, and someone had better let me go 1-0 drop or I'm gonna be pissed. 1796. What the fuck is that?

Edit - Colin, too. How do you end up 4 points short? Oh well. Cracked top 10 in Syracuse.

Edit 2 - FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

I wouldn't worry about Colin he already has a bye due to his constructed rating. Falling 4 points short of a bye does kinda suck.