PDA

View Full Version : Legacy, I loved you...

Iranon
05-09-2007, 05:35 AM
I think it's a real shame about the format, because I think it had a unique charm that no other offers: The combination of a high power level and still being 'friendly' for the most part.

Generally speaking, the iconic cards of Legacy are efficient and flexible answers that they wouldn't print in this form today. Credible threats are available anywhere, they seem to be improving over time if anything. This availability made a lot of things less scary than they might be otherwise, and lead people to opt for reliability over sheer brokenness. Cases in point, UGr Threshold was a lot more popular than UGr Madness, IGGy Pop saw more play than Contract Tendrils.

Cheap and straightforward decks could also do well without being blatant hate decks. R/G Stax and Vile Goblins, mighty as they are, had cause to fear a humble Burn that is worth two of their lands. A non-eternal deck with some commonly available and affordable staples thrown in could usually give 'proper' Legacy decks a good run for their money; many classics were only a bit of tweaking away from being solid contenders again.

If the current situation accomplishes nothing else... it at least made me think about why I appreciated the format as much as I did. I hope I will again come June.

DeathwingZERO
05-09-2007, 06:13 AM
If anything, it just makes me that more determined to play. Yes, I'll more than likely be playing Hulk Flash, and no, not because it's a cop out, and an autowin (well, not completely).

Whenever we've had decks that were just too degenerate for their own good, things have happened. Whether it took a while (in the case of Tinker), or was pretty quick (in the case of Skullclamp), we as the players on the semi/full professional level are the ones that Wizards answers to.

Even if Legacy is overlooked (for the most part), we have an obligation to prove to Wizards one of two things:

1) Hulk Flash in any of it's given incarnations are literally, unbeatable. Regardless of if it's Disciple-agogo, Kiki-kill, or anti-Flash Flash, we need to show some SERIOUS showings of this deck. And I mean like 5-6 top 8 slots per larger tournament, including the GP

2) That Hulk Flash IS beatable, and we're capable of doing it without help of bannings. If there is indeed a serious shift in the metagame because of this, only time will tell where it goes. All of the decks we currently have won't just drop off the face of Legacy if we can establish a viable Hulk Hate deck (or decks). It may take time for decks to come back, and become viable again, but the same happened with the B&R list splits, it took us time to rebuild from the rubble. We may even have yo-yo effects of Hulk attempting showings, and more hate decks showing up "just in case", etc....but at least we'll still be back to developing, not at a "Hulk vs everything" stalemate.

I for one am not going to boycott this format. With the different decks I've played and playtested, various pieces of insight I've had to tweak my decks to personal wants and metagame choices, and all around playing the format I have the most fun in next to Vintage, I want nothing more than the fiasco to die out. Whether or not Hulk Flash stays, that's one thing. But if June 1st all Wizards sees is a poor GP turnout because of people being so upset about the deck that they decide to boycott or just do something else, I think it'll put out a very bad idea of the maturity and dedication level of the Legacy community as a whole. I say we just keep on going, and if June 1st doesn't make any serious changes, we do.

Peter_Rotten
05-09-2007, 06:25 PM
We have like a thousand of these threads. Post in one of those, please.