PDA

View Full Version : Turn 0

Pale Moon FTW
05-10-2007, 11:20 AM
When I first heard about turn 0 in the Hulk Flash thread I was very confused couse I had never heard of turn 0 before. A friend says that it's the turn where leylines and such is put into play and that you can play instants in this turn. But I'm still kinda puzzled about this. Is it like a normal turn with except there's no draw phase or main phases or is it just a turn consisting of a single phase? What exactly are you allowed to do in turn 0? Can you respond to a leyline comming into play?
I haven't been able to find any info on this, not even in the Magic Comprehensive Rules, so it seems it's like an undocumented thing.

technogeek5000
05-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Turn 0 is when you go second and you have yet to take your first turn. You can still play spells because you are using your opponents phases.

Sims
05-10-2007, 11:40 AM
In reference to Flash decks that are going for speed, the Turn 0 win simply means it has all the cards necessary to win before taking their first turn, on the draw. Brief example for the turn 0 god hand:

Before either player takes it's turn, your opponent elects to play and you elect to begin the game with Gemstone Caverns in play (removing an irrelevant card)... Your opponent begins his first turn, you stop him before he leaves his upkeep and tap Gemstone Caverns for blue, remove a spirit guide, play Flash on Protean Hulk, and proceed to go into the Disciple-combo during their upkeep and win the game before they make a land drop, or you even had your first turn.

Turn 0 is just a way of describing anything that you do, while on the draw, during your opponents first turn. Leylines and Caverns come into play before anyone takes a turn.

noobslayer
05-10-2007, 11:50 AM
I did not think an opponent on the play had an upkeep. As far as I knew they go straight to main phase. You just win in response to getting priority, ie. cracking a fetch land, dropping a dude, going into end step, etc.

Pale Moon FTW
05-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Thanks that was some extremely quick replies

Tacosnape
05-10-2007, 12:02 PM
No, he doesn't have a draw step.

troopatroop
05-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Nah, it's not what the posters above described.

With Gemstone, you get to put it into play during their upkeep, and kill them before they get to play a land.

cdr
05-10-2007, 02:22 PM
See the Flash FAQ (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5687), near the bottom.

Leylines etc are put into play before the game begins; the first time a player gets priority is the upkeep of the first turn.

APriestOfGix
05-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Nah, it's not what the posters above described.

With Gemstone, you get to put it into play during their upkeep, and kill them before they get to play a land.

except they don't have a untap/upkeep/draw phase first turn...

so they DO get to play a land...

Silverdragon
05-10-2007, 10:39 PM
Please read Akkis comment. The only step that is skipped during the first turn of the game is the drawstep. There is an upkeep and technically there even is an untap although that doesn't matter as much as no player gets priority during the untap step.

zetrix
05-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Player on the play:
Untap > Upkeep > Skip Draw > Main Phase 1

Plaer on the dra:
Untap > Upkeep > Draw > Main Phase 1