PDA

View Full Version : ICBM Podcast--Flash in Legacy with Stephen Menendian

Tha Gunslinga
05-12-2007, 01:12 PM
New ICBM podcast up about Flash and its impact on Legacy and Vintage with Stephen Menendian as guest.

Enjoy

http://feed.teamicbm.com/

Peter_Rotten
05-12-2007, 01:22 PM
I'm very interested in this but I'm a total techno-idiot. Can someone please summarize or explain to me how I can view this. My comp semi-freezes when I try.

Silverdragon
05-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Very nice interview. Good questions and interesting answers by Mr. Menendian.
I still hate Wizards for what they've done to Legacy but I can totally understand Steven's point.
I agree with his GP prediction too but I think Flash will be everywhere after the GP because even if you hate on the deck it is still broken and people will realize this.
Sad he didn't totally get the WW reference and the Dreadnaught issue.

All in all I have to say your podcasts get better every time. I'm looking forward to the next one.

dahcmai
05-13-2007, 03:14 PM
For Peter - You need to click on that link then right click the button to download it or you can click the download link and it will play in Quicktime. Open it in Itunes if downloaded and then you can listen to it. I'm sure there's other ways, but I know that works since I use Itunes anyway for my Ipod.

You're probably locking up if you don't have quicktime at the very least and your comp doesn't recognize the file format.

JACO
05-13-2007, 03:43 PM
This was as good as any Legacy article I've read. It was especially funny when Steve draws the parallel to the US legal system. ; ) I have some thoughts in regards to other things in the podcast, however.

I disagree about his thoughts that not many people will be playing Flash. It will be the number one played deck at the GP.

I@n's analogy with PT Yokohama and White Weenie is not a parallel between White Weenie at the PT and Goblins at the Grand Prix. Steve misunderstood that I think. The parallel, as was drawn in BDM's article this week, should have been how White Weenie (the alleged best deck in that format at the time, and certainly the most hyped) was hated out at the PT, and will Hulk Flash be similarly hated out?

I don't think Dreadnought will receive power level errata removal, because from what Wizards has outlined in other articles, it's "original intent," as well as Mox Diamond for example, is how it is currently worded in the Oracle. It is a functional change, and not a power-level errata.

Mind's Desire was essentially emergency-restricted. Steve classified it as a 'pre-emptive' restriction, but that was basically the same thing, based on public outcry before the release of Mind's Desire.

Caboose
05-13-2007, 05:19 PM
Menendian did poorly with Flash at the last local tournament and told me he wouldn't be running it at the GP. I wonder if this interview happened before or after that tournament? He's a brilliant guy, but there seems to be some bias in the interview.

MattH
05-13-2007, 08:53 PM
Mind's Desire was essentially emergency-restricted. Steve classified it as a 'pre-emptive' restriction, but that was basically the same thing, based on public outcry before the release of Mind's Desire.

It depends on how you define "emergency restriction." If you mean "restricted before proving itself degenerate in tournaments" then you're right. If you mean "restricted on a date apart from the scheduled B&R days" then Stephen is right.

When most people say they want card X Emergency Restricted, they mean they don't want to wait until the scheduled quad-yearly B&R days. They rarely (if ever?) mean "Card X should be banned even though it hasn't proven itself."

Nowadays the day a new card becomes legal is not the same day as the B&R announcements, but at the time they were the same day. Hence the confusion.

Smmenen
05-14-2007, 07:55 AM
Menendian did poorly with Flash at the last local tournament and told me he wouldn't be running it at the GP. I wonder if this interview happened before or after that tournament? He's a brilliant guy, but there seems to be some bias in the interview.

I never said that Kyle. I went 3-2 at the Meandeck Open and I just said I wouldn't be running those speed lists because they lose to Fish. I also expect quite a bit of Flash at the GP.

This interview occured before we watched the huge Legacy metagame shift.

Caboose
05-14-2007, 08:19 AM
I never said that Kyle. I went 3-2 at the Meandeck Open and I just said I wouldn't be running those speed lists because they lose to Fish. I also expect quite a bit of Flash at the GP.

This interview occured before we watched the huge Legacy metagame shift.

Fair enough. I misspoke. If you would like to meet up for testing this week, let me know.

Smmenen
05-14-2007, 08:37 AM
It depends on how you define "emergency restriction." If you mean "restricted before proving itself degenerate in tournaments" then you're right. If you mean "restricted on a date apart from the scheduled B&R days" then Stephen is right.

When most people say they want card X Emergency Restricted, they mean they don't want to wait until the scheduled quad-yearly B&R days. They rarely (if ever?) mean "Card X should be banned even though it hasn't proven itself."

Nowadays the day a new card becomes legal is not the same day as the B&R announcements, but at the time they were the same day. Hence the confusion.

On the other hand, there is also an instance of a Vintage restriction in a situation in which a card was legal for 2 months but hadn't proven itself to be a problem: Chrome Mox.

Evidently, the DCI had just decided that Chrome Mox was going to be restricted when Mirrodin was released, but didn't have an opportunity act upon it until Dec. 1st (effective Jan 1st).

If the legal date for Scourge had been different from the date restrictions took effect, Mind's Desire could have been legal in the exact same way. That's another reason why it shouldn't be considered an emergency restriction. It just happened to be a coincidence that both days were the same in the case of Scourge.

EDIT:

Here is a post I wrote on the mana drain that could be helpful in this context:

I think it's rather foolish to claim a deck is banworthy with only a week's worth of tournament results backing it up.

Just remember that MOST of the cards restricted in Vintage in the last 5 years did not have tournament data to support their restriction:

Mind's Desire - preemptively restricted before it ever saw play.
Chrome Mox - let exist for 3 months and then restricted with absolutely no tournament data to support it
Fact or Fiction - restricted on the word of Darren Di Battista almost entirely
Trinisphere - restricted not on tournament data, but on people writing in saying it was "unfun"
Gush - restricted because of tournament results and general outcry
Lion's Eye Diamond - restricted NOT because of tournament data but because of a 60% turn one goldfish. Long was not even remotely dominant in terms of tournament results. Not to mention Chalice had just been introduced into the format.
Burning Wish - see above

In 6 of 7 of the last cases of restriction, Vintage cards saw restriction for reasons OTHER than tournament data.

Do not be surprised if Flash is banned even if it sucks at the Grand Prix.

MattH
05-15-2007, 12:31 AM
Fact or Fiction - restricted on the word of Darren Di Battista almost entirely
Didn't Ed Paltzik (Legend) walk off with like half the Neutral Ground tournaments for a year on the back of 4x FOF?

Smmenen
05-15-2007, 07:46 AM
Didn't Ed Paltzik (Legend) walk off with like half the Neutral Ground tournaments for a year on the back of 4x FOF?

Three 14-man Neutral Ground Tournaments do not count as adequate tournament data to restrict a card.