PDA

View Full Version : [Report]Monster Den - 3rd place, Hulk Flash boo

beezy
05-12-2007, 09:39 PM
Well I figure I will write this report while the tournament is still fresh on my mind as I did not take very good notes, well I can't read them. Well the tournament had a decent turnout, 32 people I believe. I'll try to edit in things more as I remember them.
Anyway, I figured there would be some flash decks and some thresh and fish to combat that. So I modified my Red Death deck to the following:

4x Bloodstained Mire
2x Polluted Delta
4x Badlands
10x Swamp

4x Duress
4x Hymn to Tourach
4x Dark Ritual
4x Lightning Bolt
3x Cabal Therapy
2x Umejawa's Jitte

4x Phyrexian Negator
4x Hypnotic Specter
4x Nantuko Shade
3x Rotting Giant
3x Dark Confidant
1x Wretched Anurid

SB
4x Dystopia
4x Leyline of the Void
4x Engineered Plague
1x Dark Confidant
1x Cabal Therapy
1x Umejawa's Jitte

I couldn't decide on waht to do for my last 3 slots and I don't have any Pithing Needles, so I figured well, might as well make some cards a 4 of.

Round 1- Alan - Some Leyline Deck.
Game 1 - I didn't know what he was really playing. So I missed with my Therapies and well eventaully he has some leylines in play and an Opalescence. I scoop.
Game 2- +4 Dystopia, +1 Therapy - 2 Jitte, -4 Lightning Bolt
He opens with a Leyline (I think the green one) and I just rip his hand apart and eventaully a Dystopia is game.
Game 3 - He opens with some leylines, Crop Rotation into Sanctum, but then his hand is gone and Dystopia + Bob win the match.

Matches - 1-0
Games - 2-1

Round 2 - Sal - Fish UWB
Game 1 - From what it appears, I get hit with Mother of Runes a few times and some other creature I think Mage. He names Shade with one, that one dies and names Bolt, I die. It also didn't help I drew 6 lands and 2 rituals in a row.
Game 2 - +4 Dystopia, +1 Dark Confidant + 1 Umejawa's Jitte, -3 Therapy, -1 Swamp - 2 Rotting Giant
Well not much better than game 1,. I get an early Negator, it gets swords'ed. I get beat down with a mage or two. Another Negator is swords'ed I lose.
Matches - 1-1
Games - 2-3

Round 3 - Kristoffson(spelling?) - Hulk Flash
Game 1 - I win the die roll, I duress. I see 3x Flash, 1 ESG, 1 Land , 1 Protean Hulk, 1 Force . GG
Game 2- -4 Lightning Bolt, -2 Jitte + 4 Leyline, +1 Therapy, +1 Dark Confidant
I play Leyline. Then Duress, taking out a Worldy Tutor. Then turn 2 confidant followed up by more discard + Specter so he had an empty hand.On to game 3.
Game 3 -
Open up with a Leyline. Duress Taking out a counter I think. Then Therapy nailing 3 flashes. He scoops.
Matches - 2-1
Games - 4-4

Round 4 - Didn't write down name - Hulk Flash
Game 1 - Turn 1 win ... gg
Game 2 - -4 bolt - 2 jitte, +4 leyline, +1 therapy, +1 DC
I mulligan into a some creatures and discard. I play a therapy ( I was undecided between shifting wall and marauder) and well he showed his hand because he thought it was a Duress, but the only thing I really saw was land and some blue card. Well I guessed right with naming Marauder, as he had 3. Eventually a Confidant gets me cards that I need (Leyline) and Negator and Hypnotic Specter finish him off.
Game 3 -
I get a Leyline into play. He would have had the turn 2 win if that wasn't into play. He forgot about it and played Flash, realized it but he had no hand and I had discard + Dark Confidant. I win.
Matches - 3-1
Games - 6-5

Round 5 - Intentional Draw with Jeremy Zwirn (Hulk Flash) to get to in to the top 8.

Top 8
Well before ID'ing I was in fifth, but then entered the top 8 as the 8 seed.
Match 1 - Sal - UWB Fish
Game 1 - I don't get too many lands. I play a Dark Confidant it gets the Swords. He starts swinging with a Serra Avenger. Meddling Mage named a Shade and eventaully that gets killed and then I get a Negator in play with a Jitte and ride those to victory.
Game 2 - +4 Dystopia, +1 Dark Confidant + 1 Umejawa's Jitte, -3 Therapy, -1 Swamp - 2 Rotting Giant
Discard starts things off and then a Mage naming Jitte. I get a Dystopia to eliminate most of his board and another one a few turns later to clear the way for Shade + Negator. Mother of Runes is such a pain.
2-0

Top 4 - Ben - Goblins
Well game one I made a few dumb plays of trying to get too fancy and am overrun with goblins.
Game 2- +4 E. Plague, +1 Jitte, -4 Duress, -1 Anurid
I get a hand of 6 good spells and only one land, mull to 6 no land, to 5 no land, to 4 no land, i just go with it because if I draw a land I can delay for a bit since I had Dark Ritual + Plague however it doesn't come to fruition and my friend goes on with my deck to top 2.
0-2

3/4th Game
Chris - UWB Fish
Game 1- He wins pretty easily, I'm stuck on two land, I get to a third but he named Hypnotic Specter with a Mage, and I had 3 in hand. Jotun Grunt is good I hear.
Fetch a swamp into Duress. Then a Dark Confidant, it got swords'ed. Eventually Hypnotic Specter and I believe a Shade win the game.
Game 3 - He get's land screwed simple as that. I win.
2-1
Top 8 total - 4-3

Overall
Games - 10-8
Matches - 5-2

I think the top 8 was
3x Hulk Flash
2x Fish
There was a total of 5 of those.. either 3 flash or 2 flash and 3 fish
1x Red Death
1x Blue Stax Sacs I don't know what was really in there.
1x Mono Red Goblins
Hulk flash won it all beating Goblins.

I believe it was this
Goblins vs Blue Stax - Goblins won
Red Death vs Fish - Red Death won
Flash vs Flash - Flash wins?
Fish vs Flash - Fish

top 4
Goblins vs Red - Goblins won
Fish vs Flash - Flash won

Top 2 -
Goblins vs Flash - Flash won

Random Notes -
There was I think 5 or 6 Hulk Flash decks, 4 Goblin Decks, 3 or 4 Fish decks.
There was one person playing Meathooks, at least one playing Aluren. Can't remember any others that stick out in my mind.

Props -
Opponents for being pretty cool
Monster Den for being a place to play and decent prizes
Ben for getting 2nd with Mono Red Goblins

Slops
Mulliganing into nothing vs Ben.
Snelling for road work
Monster Den for being too warm at times
Paul for not getting at least top 8 with Ben and I

Well that's all

zetrix
05-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Totally glad I didn't go. Mike is happy.

Who had the Flash deck that won? Jeremy?

beezy
05-12-2007, 10:19 PM
Totally glad I didn't go. Mike is happy.

Who had the Flash deck that won? Jeremy?

Yeah Jeremy won it. People that I heard talking figured at least 3 spots of the top 4 or 8 would be flash, well I guess they are pretty smart .

zetrix
05-12-2007, 11:53 PM
Yah, I really don't wanna play in the "hulk flash" environment. I'm waiting for a ban to happen, and it better happen in june >.>

Citrus-God
05-13-2007, 12:52 AM
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jeremy Won!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, the finals were

Hanni Fish vs. Vial Goblins
Red Death v.s. Fish
Flash v.s. Flash
Something v.s. Something

I think one of the somethings was Vial Goblins

beezy
05-14-2007, 10:59 AM
The something vs something was I believe Blue Stax ? I'm not too sure what the name was vs mono red goblins.

Hey, Zeus!
05-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Suprisingly, there were only 4 hulk/flash decks that showed up (well 5 really but the fifth player lost to his 11 year old son in the first round playing broodstar affinity....sigh).

And despite what you may think, fish was the big winner....did any of you see the Chris play Zwirn? Fish won. Turns out that fish smashes flash and every other deck when it gets at least two lands....

Arsenal_Fan
05-14-2007, 03:36 PM
I was wanting to know if there were Top8 decklists anywhere? It would be interesting to see the continued impact of Flash deck and how people are attacking it.

Tacosnape
05-14-2007, 04:32 PM
Turns out that fish smashes flash and every other deck when it gets at least two lands....

We fully expect, based on your incredible insight, for all cards with the "Land" type to be banned along with Flash.

beezy
05-14-2007, 05:27 PM
Suprisingly, there were only 4 hulk/flash decks that showed up (well 5 really but the fifth player lost to his 11 year old son in the first round playing broodstar affinity....sigh).

And despite what you may think, fish was the big winner....did any of you see the Chris play Zwirn? Fish won. Turns out that fish smashes flash and every other deck when it gets at least two lands....

The Hulk Flash decks did well for the most part though. Were you talking about when Chris played him in the Top 4? or did they play earlier in the tournament? Fish doesn't smash everything else when it gets at least two lands. I'm assuming you watched when I played Chris when he was stuck on one land in our game 3. I think he was stuck on one land against another Hulk player earlier but he ended up winning.

Arsenal Fan, for the most part the Hulk Flash decks were the same as the ones on the forums here (I think all the Flash decks were the Disciple versions). The Fish decks all seemed to be pretty similar as well. I can give you the decklist for Mono-Red Goblins, however the only decklist I have no idea what was in it was the Blue Stax Sacs or w/e it was called. Main way of attacking Hulk Flash was Leyline with disruption (Mage, Discard, etc)

Hey, Zeus!
05-14-2007, 05:56 PM
We fully expect, based on your incredible insight, for all cards with the "Land" type to be banned along with Flash.

I'm sure I have no idea what you mean....

I'm assuming you watched when I played Chris when he was stuck on one land in our game 3.

Yeah I saw that :frown: his hand was like land, trip brainstorm, mm, something, something, so for him to not hit land was pretty crappy.

And yes I was talking about the top 4 match. I'm not sure, but I belive they made a deal to optimize prizes based on what their upcoming matches would've been.

Citrus-God
05-14-2007, 08:16 PM
Arsenal Fan, for the most part the Hulk Flash decks were the same as the ones on the forums here (I think all the Flash decks were the Disciple versions). The Fish decks all seemed to be pretty similar as well. I can give you the decklist for Mono-Red Goblins, however the only decklist I have no idea what was in it was the Blue Stax Sacs or w/e it was called. Main way of attacking Hulk Flash was Leyline with disruption (Mage, Discard, etc)

No.... Wesley ran Living Wish in his deck, and Jeremy ran Merchant Scroll. They arent as generic as I thought they were, because they ran some hidden tech in there.

beezy
05-14-2007, 10:08 PM
No.... Wesley ran Living Wish in his deck, and Jeremy ran Merchant Scroll. They arent as generic as I thought they were, because they ran some hidden tech in there.

Oh hmm that's rather interesting. So what were the correct standings?
1. Jeremy Zwirn
2. Ben Pooladian
3. Brian Zothman (me)
4. Chris I don't know his last name

5-8 were Fish, Hulk, Blue Stax Sacs and ?

lukatron2
05-15-2007, 01:34 AM
(I think all the Flash decks were the Disciple versions).

Actually there was one guy playing the kiki-version and he was talking about how it was SOO much better...than I saw him play against a thresh player and loose to a single swords to plowshares (the threshold player had no counter back-up whatsoever)...Then I laughed...The diciple version is so much more resilient to hate...

on a side note...Slops to me for miss-playing round 4 against red-death...If it weren't for my play mistakes I would have been the 3rd Flash player at top 8 *sigh*...hahah...

Hey, Zeus!
05-15-2007, 07:44 AM
Actually there was one guy playing the kiki-version and he was talking about how it was SOO much better...than I saw him play against a thresh player and loose to a single swords to plowshares (the threshold player had no counter back-up whatsoever)...Then I laughed...The diciple version is so much more resilient to hate...

Ok yeah, I was the only kiki flash player there, and you didn't really watch that game did you? so here is what went down:

Game1: I drew snatcher the turn before I hit flash, which is unfortunate for me, cause I only played one copy (should've been 2), but I had force back up and I could still go off, so I cast flash and tried to combo out. He had swords which I forced, then he swords again (hitting carrion feeder) and I cursed myself for not playing 2 body snachers. I thought I might still be alright with a 6/6 and a karmic guide but lost shortly to a threshed enforcer.

Game 2:I'll admit I got impatient on this game trying for the turn two flash w/ force backup. But unfortunatly he had stifle and force to utterly wreck me...

All and all I went 3-2. Lost to Zwirn playing flash (disciple) (I kept hands I shouldn't have and he is a better player than I) and the thresh deck.

beezy
05-15-2007, 11:22 AM
on a side note...Slops to me for miss-playing round 4 against red-death...If it weren't for my play mistakes I would have been the 3rd Flash player at top 8 *sigh*...hahah...

Oh you were who I played 4th round? Yeaaah haha some bad play mistakes. Not sure if it would have changed too much though. Just remember to look to see if Leyline is in play :laugh:

Zeus, I remember I think I watched you play the guy. He just seemed to have everything he needed at the right time.