PDA

View Full Version : [Article] Budget Legacy - Turbo Madness

Zach Tartell
05-14-2007, 01:20 AM
Zelda (http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/14160.html)

In this article, Christopher Coppola rebuilds a classic Aggro-Control deck, and examines the relevance of Aggro-Control at the upcoming Grand Prix.

Edit: I'll put in my question, since it'd be pretty weak to double post. Why is gemstone caverns good? You need to be on the draw to get any good usage out of it. Seems kind of weak. I mean, otherwise it's just a legendary, destructable, Darksteel Citadel. Otherwise, this is a solid deck. I love the four maid=decked stifles, I like how the entire deck has been DCI foiled in the past year, so that it's pretty easy to pimp out, and pretty solid superlative-free comentary on why it'll be okay. Roland Chang would be proud.

C.P.
05-14-2007, 10:52 AM
I guess that is an answer for Turn 1 combo decks, but I agree that carvers look pretty weak. I also ant to question the numbers of worms. A very solid deck otherwise.

Phantom
05-14-2007, 11:40 AM
I found it really, really well done. Even made a decent case for Gemstone Caverns (Disrupt and Stifle on the draw, Madness beater on turn 1) although I'm still assuming that Chrome Mox is better. I could be wrong though.

I'm amazed that you could turn out such a quality article so soon after the shift in the meta (As if budget Legacy wasn't difficult enough before). Keep up the good work!

Cavius The Great
05-14-2007, 12:35 PM
The decklist looks real solid. I'm just curious as to why he runs naturalize over krosan grip in the SB. There must be a reason for it that I'm not aware of.

dre4m
05-14-2007, 01:54 PM
The decklist looks real solid. I'm just curious as to why he runs naturalize over krosan grip in the SB. There must be a reason for it that I'm not aware of.

Naturalise is cheaper.
My only gripe with his build is the Caverns, because I really don't want to be blindly taking the draw every game with four cards in my deck to motivate this.

Kazadoom
05-14-2007, 03:28 PM
maybe its just me but i didnt like the article, dont get me wrong its really well written but i dont really like the deck.
main point is that its mostly copy and paste from older madness lists he didnt even remove logic which is quite sub-par in a Flash hulk enviroment.

But maybe i just missed the Über-madness approach :D

Cavius The Great
05-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Naturalise is cheaper.

Obviously. Krosan Grip is uncounterable which makes it a better card IMO. He should atleast be running 1-2 Krosan Grip in a Naturalize spot. Chalice for 2 and counterspells pwn Naturalize. I think a 2/2 split between the two might be the right choice.

Cait_Sith
05-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Obviously. Krosan Grip is uncounterable which makes it a better card IMO. He should atleast be running 1-2 Krosan Grip in a Naturalize spot. Chalice for 2 and counterspells pwn Naturalize. I think a 2/2 split between the two might be the right choice.

The problem is if your opponent can win on turn 2, Grip isn't looking so hot. Naturalize comes online faster and THAT is what is needed in a Flash dominated format.

dr34m: In the Flash environment, especially post FS, drawing G1 is almost always the best move so you can shut down any sort of Caverns antics. Against Flash you just greatly lowered the Turn - 0 and Turn - 1 win percentages.

freakish777
05-15-2007, 12:41 PM
Actually, Madness seems like an incredible metagame choice. Most of the top tables should be cluttered with Threshold/Fish and Hulk Flash. You should curbstomp the other aggro-control decks since your creatures are better, you probably run more Jittes then they do, and you have Wasteland + Stifle to screw their 18 land decks out of the game. Additionally you should have a coinflip or possibly better match against Hulk Flash...