PDA

View Full Version : Mother of Runes

Hanni
05-16-2007, 02:01 PM
I'm not exactly sure how the stack works in this scenario:

I have Mother of Runes and Serra Avenger in play.

My opponent attacks with Goblin Piledriver.

I block Goblin Piledriver with Serra Avenger. Damage goes on the stack, I tap Mother of Runes to give Serra Avenger pro red.

My opponent responds with Gempalm Incinerator, targetting my Serra Avenger.

Does the stack resolve first before Avenger goes to the graveyard, or does Avenger die immediately after Gempalm resolves?

Ewokslayer
05-16-2007, 02:04 PM
Whenever a creature has lethal damage assigned to it, it will be put into the graveyard the next time state based effects are checked. that would be after the Gempalm damage resolves but before the draw of the Gempalm resolves.

Nightmare
05-16-2007, 02:04 PM
Avenger is dead, assuming your opponent controls 2 more goblins.

Edit - GAH! Damn you Diefendorf!

Ewokslayer
05-16-2007, 02:06 PM
Avenger is dead, assuming your opponent controls 2 more goblins.

Edit - GAH! Damn you Diefendorf!

What can I say,
The better hobbes won.

HPC
05-16-2007, 02:09 PM
When the card is cycled the ability is triggered and placed on the stack. You can respond to the ability, but as it stands the Gempalm's ability will trigger doing damage to your Serra Avenger, then if the Avenger takes lethal damage it is placed in the graveyard as a game state-based effect, then the Mother of Runes' ability will fizzle if the Serra Avenger is not in play.

502.18c Some cards with cycling have abilities that trigger when they’re cycled. “When you cycle [this card]” means “When you discard [this card] to pay a cycling cost.” These abilities trigger from the graveyard.

Nihil Credo
05-16-2007, 04:12 PM
Bonus answer: The X in Gempalm Incinerator's ability is determined upon resolution, so if your opponent has 3 Goblins in play, you can respond to the Incinerator trigger by killing one of them; then the Avenger will take 2 damage from Incinerator, and live to get Mother of Runes' protection from Red, which will allow her to survive the turn.