PDA

View Full Version : Diabolic Vision

Wobbles The Goose
05-17-2007, 07:35 AM
I had a guy try to rearrange the cards when he played Diabolic Vision, but I'm pretty sure they just go back how they were. It would say on the card if it allowed you to do that right?

Text:
Look at the top five cards of your library. Put one of them into your hand and the rest on top of your library.

URABAHN
05-17-2007, 07:38 AM
Are you sure you're not getting confused with Lim-Dul's Vault (http://ww2.wizards.com/gatherer/CardDetails.aspx?&id=3223)? With Lim-Dul's Vault, you are allowed to put cards on the bottom in any order, just remember to shuffle all but the Top 5 when you're done.

Nightmare
05-17-2007, 07:45 AM
I had a guy try to rearrange the cards when he played Diabolic Vision, but I'm pretty sure they just go back how they were. It would say on the card if it allowed you to do that right?

Text:
Look at the top five cards of your library. Put one of them into your hand and the rest on top of your library.The "In any order" is now implied in that text. It's like how cards say "Target player discards a card." leaving out the "From their hand."

cdr
05-17-2007, 10:25 AM
The "In any order" is now implied in that text. It's like how cards say "Target player discards a card." leaving out the "From their hand."

Edit: Nightmare got it:

217.2d If an effect puts two or more cards on the top or bottom of a library at the same time, the owner of those cards may arrange them in any order. That library's owner doesn't reveal the order in which the cards go into his or her library.

Why they took the "in any order" off the official text is anyone's guess. Pretty boneheaded thing to do.

nitewolf9
05-17-2007, 10:32 AM
The beatdown print of the card says "in any order" but the oracle text omits that phrase. I'm pretty sure it is implied that you rearrange the cards in any order when you put cards back on top/bottom of your library but I'm not sure. What's strange is that the oracle text for portent states in any order...

dre4m
05-17-2007, 12:55 PM
You can put them in any order you want because the order was unknown to begin with, and since it is still unknown to the opponent, you get to decide. There is a practical reason for this as well, as players would actually have to record the order of cards on top of their library and be able to put them back exactly right after playing cards like this, as opposed to simply whip them off the top of their library, ripple them around, grab one, and throw them back, which will, of course, incur some disorder.

cdr
05-17-2007, 12:58 PM
You can put them in any order you want because the order was unknown to begin with, and since it is still unknown to the opponent, you get to decide. There is a practical reason for this as well, as players would actually have to record the order of cards on top of their library and be able to put them back exactly right after playing cards like this, as opposed to simply whip them off the top of their library, ripple them around, grab one, and throw them back, which will, of course, incur some disorder.

That's not really correct. Just read the rule.

Tacosnape
05-17-2007, 09:12 PM
By this rule, is an opponent allowed to know whether or not you even changed the order of the top cards at all?

For example, I play Serum Visions. I draw my card. At this point, let's call the top card of my library "Card A", and the second-to-top card "Card B."

I decide after looking at Card A and Card B that I want them both on top.

Am I then allowed to mix these two cards up in such a way that my opponent is unaware of the order I set them back, meaning he doesn't know whether it's still Card A on top and Card B below or if it's now Card B on top and Card A below?

cdr
05-17-2007, 09:43 PM
Knock yourself out.